IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 16 2013, 01:52 AM   #1
austen_pierce
Captain

Why do you need warp power?

Question. In STiD, Enterprise is falling to her death. Scotty says the warp core is out of alignment and that the ship is dead. Kirk fixes the core and Sulu arrests the big E by... Wait for it ... Firing thrusters???

Why does Enterprise need warp power to fire thrusters? The most you need is wiring, some control circuits, the thrusters themselves, and a bit of aux power to run the whole thing, which they early had... The lights were on.

In ST09, Sulu abandons Warp AND impulse and lifts the ship using thrusters alone.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 02:38 AM   #2
OpenMaw
Commander

Re: Why do you need warp power?

There's a difference between the warp engines and the warp reactor itself.

Aux power was gone for whatever reason when they were going down, i'd venture a guess that one of the million hits to the ship probably knocked the sprockets off the auxiliary reactor.

So all you'd have left is the warp core to power the ship, also, we did see (at least i'm pretty sure we did) in one of the TOS episodes that the Enterprise has a hard time maintaining orbit without main power.
Old September 16 2013, 03:01 AM   #3
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

The ship was already drifting toward Earth, and both the main power, and auxiliary power were gone. There was nothing that could give them the force they needed to stop their momentum. Once they got power back online, Sulu fired every thruster they had (there were a shitload... that's a technical term), and they began to rise back up into the air. Once full power came back, they were able to use warp/impulse power to move back into orbit.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 03:11 AM   #4
The Wormhole
Admiral

According to other Treks, the warp core powers everything aboard the starship. This is based partially on aircraft in the real world which have to electricity unless the engine is active. Indeed, practically everything had shut down on the
Enterprise, the lights even the artificial gravity which usually always stays active even when nothing else is. The warp core was needed simply to power the ship.
Old September 16 2013, 03:55 AM   #5
drt
Commander

When the warp core came on line you can see the nacelles start to spin up - my guess is that part of having the nacelles powered up is that part of their function is to reduce the ship's mass, because there's really no other way those little thrusters would be able to arrest Enterprise's fall.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Mountie1988
Lieutenant Junior Grade

drt wrote: View Post
When the warp core came on line you can see the nacelles start to spin up - my guess is that part of having the nacelles powered up is that part of their function is to reduce the ship's mass, because there's really no other way those little thrusters would be able to arrest Enterprise's fall.
Excellent. Someone's paying attention to the Physics of Star Trek.
Mountie1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 12:11 PM   #7
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Yeah, thrusters weren't the only thing firing, otherwise Enterprise would have started falling again as soon as they shut off, immediately after their rise above the clouds.
Old September 17 2013, 12:20 AM   #8
austen_pierce
Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
According to other Treks, the warp core powers everything aboard the starship. This is based partially on aircraft in the real world which have to electricity unless the engine is active. Indeed, practically everything had shut down on the
Enterprise, the lights even the artificial gravity which usually always stays active even when nothing else is. The warp core was needed simply to power the ship.
I attributed the loss of gravity to the loss of warp, impulse, aux, AND batteries. While warp power is primary, the other sources would kick in and provide partial power to systems when the core is off line. We've also seen this in several eps and movies. Warp core is off line but aux and impulse are used for maneuvers and operations, just no warp speed.

With gravity out and Enterprise in free fall, both warp and impulse are clearly out. But the lights in the ship are on. This power is enough to fire thrusters, so he real question is whether the shellac of thrusters could arrest E's fall, or if warp is required.
Old September 17 2013, 12:38 AM   #9
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
I attributed the loss of gravity to the loss of warp, impulse, aux, AND batteries. While warp power is primary, the other sources would kick in and provide partial power to systems when the core is off line. We've also seen this in several eps and movies. Warp core is off line but aux and impulse are used for maneuvers and operations, just no warp speed.

With gravity out and Enterprise in free fall, both warp and impulse are clearly out. But the lights in the ship are on. This power is enough to fire thrusters, so he real question is whether the shellac of thrusters could arrest E's fall, or if warp is required.
The lights in the ship are on, yes, but batteries do not equal thrusting power. It was only when power was restored that they had thruster capability. Seconds later, the warp engines begin starting up, and the ship is able to lift itself out of freefall.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Old September 17 2013, 12:44 AM   #10
22 Stars
Commodore

Because the Aft Nacelle was damaged?
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 12:47 AM   #11
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Which reminds me; I have never really thought about how much power starships had to have. Even in the Original Series, TNG, DS9, etc., at no time did I ever feel the power of these ships, even in the movies, until ST09, and STiD really hit it home. The Enterprise generates massive amounts of power. From warp speed, or pushing through an atmosphere, to firing batteries of weapons in the blink of an eye, this ship is pure, raw, barely controlled power, and I love it. For me, the last two movies have made the redesigned Enterprise my favorite ship.
Old September 17 2013, 01:13 AM   #12
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

22 Stars wrote: View Post
Aha. The aft nacelle must be where auxiliary power comes from.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 02:19 AM   #13
22 Stars
Commodore

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
22 Stars wrote: View Post
Aha. The aft nacelle must be where auxiliary power comes from.
Lol, but seriously, has Orci or anyone tried to explain that lame-ass line?
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 02:34 AM   #14
austen_pierce
Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post

The lights in the ship are on, yes, but batteries do not equal thrusting power. It was only when power was restored that they had thruster capability. Seconds later, the warp engines begin starting up, and the ship is able to lift itself out of freefall.
Batteries don't need thrusting power. The chemical reaction of the thrusters themselves do that. All you need power for is to turn them ON, and then some computational overhead to coordinate them so you don't end up doing donuts all over the sky.
Old September 17 2013, 02:43 AM   #15
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

J. Allen wrote: View Post

Batteries don't need thrusting power. The chemical reaction of the thrusters themselves do that. All you need power for is to turn them ON, and then some computational overhead to coordinate them so you don't end up doing donuts all over the sky.
It depends upon what kind of thrusters are being used. You assume chemical thrusters, but perhaps the Enterprise doesn't use chemical thrusters. Even if they are chemical thrusters, how much thrust will they have? They're likely RCS type thrusters for short bursts of navigational course correction when not in warp.