RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,674
Posts: 5,212,663
Members: 24,201
Currently online: 588
Newest member: KieBH84


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 16 2013, 05:54 AM   #16
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: McCoy & Clark Terrell: Old Friends?

It does sound vaguely familiar to me.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 04:11 PM   #17
Mysterion
Rear Admiral
 
Mysterion's Avatar
 
Location: SB-31, Daran V
Re: McCoy & Clark Terrell: Old Friends?

McCoy not going to the Academy is sort of implied in The Ultimate Computer. McCoy doesn't get the "Captain Dunsel" reference from Wesley, but the folks who've attended Starfleet Academy do.
__________________
USS Galileo Galilei, NCC-8888
Prima Inter Pares
Mysterion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 05:29 PM   #18
Noddy
Captain
 
Re: McCoy & Clark Terrell: Old Friends?

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Noddy wrote: View Post
I actually rather like the idea that McCoy's entry into Starfleet happened in roughly the same way and at the same time in the prime reality as it did in the altered one (apart from meeting Kirk at the same time though, as Kirk would already have graduated at that time, thanks to his father's influence). Perhaps Starfleet Academy is where McCoy met and became briefly involved with Nancy, from "The Man Trap"?
My thought in working on McCoy's backstory for A Choice of Catastrophes was that it's the same until he enlists in Starfleet in 2255. In the Prime universe, he's posted to Republic after enlisting (with Nancy Crater), and completes training onboard ship, while in the New universe he undergoes that training at Starfleet Academy.
Why would he only train on the Republic in one reality, and not the other?
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 05:33 PM   #19
Noddy
Captain
 
Re: McCoy & Clark Terrell: Old Friends?

Mysterion wrote: View Post
McCoy not going to the Academy is sort of implied in The Ultimate Computer. McCoy doesn't get the "Captain Dunsel" reference from Wesley, but the folks who've attended Starfleet Academy do.
Well we now know that McCoy did attend the Academy.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 05:44 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: McCoy & Clark Terrell: Old Friends?

^We know that he attended the Academy in the timeline created by Nero's intervention. Is there evidence that he attended the Academy in the Prime timeline?
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 1/21/14 including non-spoiler discussion for Rise of the Federation Book 2

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 05:48 PM   #21
Noddy
Captain
 
Re: McCoy & Clark Terrell: Old Friends?

Christopher wrote: View Post
^We know that he attended the Academy in the timeline created by Nero's intervention. Is there evidence that he attended the Academy in the Prime timeline?
This is only my opinion, but I just have difficulty seeing how Nero destroying the Kelvin would have caused McCoy to enroll in the Academy, where he originally didn't. And I do like to think that some of the things in Abrams' films did happen roughly the same in the prime timeline.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 06:13 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: McCoy & Clark Terrell: Old Friends?

Noddy wrote: View Post
This is only my opinion, but I just have difficulty seeing how Nero destroying the Kelvin would have caused McCoy to enroll in the Academy, where he originally didn't.
The butterfly effect. Changing one event can cause ripples that spread in all directions and alter things in unpredictable ways. Say, because the Kelvin is destroyed, the husband of a lost crewmember retires from Starfleet out of grief, so someone else gets promoted into their job who would otherwise have gotten an administrative post at Starfleet Medical, so someone else gets that post instead, and they make different policy decisions, and regulations are changed so that civilian doctors who enlist for starship duty have to train at the Academy first.

So just about anything, at least in terms of individuals' choices and actions, could turn out differently in the Abramsverse than it did before. Things might have been similar in many ways, true, but we can't assume that for sure. So, again, the question is what evidence we have in the Prime universe about McCoy's background.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 1/21/14 including non-spoiler discussion for Rise of the Federation Book 2

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 08:29 PM   #23
Noddy
Captain
 
Re: McCoy & Clark Terrell: Old Friends?

And McCoy first met Nancy one year before he joins Starfleet in the new reality, as in "The Man Trap" he says they first became involved twelve years ago, which would place the event in 2254. So perhaps McCoy did enlist in Starfleet earlier in the prime reality.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 12:07 AM   #24
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral
 
Stevil2001's Avatar
 
Location: 2010
Re: McCoy & Clark Terrell: Old Friends?

Noddy wrote: View Post
Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Noddy wrote: View Post
I actually rather like the idea that McCoy's entry into Starfleet happened in roughly the same way and at the same time in the prime reality as it did in the altered one (apart from meeting Kirk at the same time though, as Kirk would already have graduated at that time, thanks to his father's influence). Perhaps Starfleet Academy is where McCoy met and became briefly involved with Nancy, from "The Man Trap"?
My thought in working on McCoy's backstory for A Choice of Catastrophes was that it's the same until he enlists in Starfleet in 2255. In the Prime universe, he's posted to Republic after enlisting (with Nancy Crater), and completes training onboard ship, while in the New universe he undergoes that training at Starfleet Academy.
Why would he only train on the Republic in one reality, and not the other?
This is a good question that I think I had an answer in mind for in 2010. According to the earliest draft of the novel I can find, McCoy "wheedles" the assignment because he wants to serve with Nancy, who is doing a tour on the Republic. I believe my thought was that different fleet deployments in the the New Universe (because of the Kelvin destruction and the drastically different construction patterns) would mean that the Republic assignment was unavailable to McCoy. I too favor the Prime and New Universes being the same as much as possible. (Basically, what Christopher said.)
__________________
"All of time and space. Everywhere and anywhere, every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"
Exploring the Universe
Stevil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.