Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 15 2013, 09:46 PM   #466
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

If I were one of that guy's "sources" I'd try telling him all he has to do to get the episodes announced is wire some money to my Nigerian bank account. Half of the missing episodes thread at GB would immediately make donations.

I loved how TIEA made its second "nothing is happening, please leave our organization alone" statement, and people immediately turned it into evidence that something was happening.
Old September 15 2013, 11:04 PM   #467
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
I loved how TIEA made its second "nothing is happening, please leave our organization alone" statement, and people immediately turned it into evidence that something was happening.
It's a combination of two things. First, that new message, which is aimed directly at Doctor Who fans who are anxious about missing episodes ends with "Keep watching." And second, the "THEY ARE NOT MISSING BUT DESTROYED. THE END" message(paraphrasing from memory) is itself missing. It's certainly a curious situation.

While I'm doubtful that there will be missing episode announcements in the future of the scale that the Omnirumour suggests, I do have to say that observing the fandom psychology on this the last three months has been utterly fascinating. There are aspects to this rumor that are like nuclear bombs in fandom's faultlines, ranging from fan entitlement to fan resentments. I don't know of a fandom that has quite the same stratification as Doctor Who fandom, and I think the longevity of this rumor has a lot to do with that as fans rail against better connected fans and use the rumor and what they believe or know to be the truth as a cudgel to either tear down the better connected fans or beat the lesser connected fans back into their place.

On that level, the Omnirumour has been an education. Thank you, whoever started it two years ago.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 12:45 AM   #468
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

It's a combination of two things.
And if neither of those things were true, then there would be two other things. There is no wording Morris could have chosen that would have stopped people from turning "I have no Doctor Who, and am politely asking you to stop meddling in my professional backyard" into "I have secret Doctor Who, and am inviting further scrutiny."
Old September 16 2013, 02:17 AM   #469
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

It's largely a lot of wishful thinking, really. We all want a stash of recoveries. That's not going to happen but wishful thinking keeps many believing.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 09:50 AM   #470
Candlelight
Admiral

I dread the morning of November 24th and nothing has turned up.

There'll be rioting in the streets!
Old September 16 2013, 10:29 AM   #471
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Only in the GallifreyBase streets. The general public is completely oblivious to this silliness.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 02:01 PM   #472
The Wormhole
Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
Only in the GallifreyBase streets.
That might actually be the most entertaining part of the 50th anniversary.
Old September 16 2013, 03:47 PM   #473
StCoop
Commodore

Mystic Moron has had another vision. We'll have to wait two years for most of the episodes but "Power Of The Daleks" will be out much sooner.

I've pre-ordered my copy from Amazon already. They tried to tell me there wasn't anything to pre-order so I created my own page. It had to be in crayon though because that's all they'll let me write with here.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 03:58 PM   #474
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
Mystic Moron has had another vision. We'll have to wait two years for most of the episodes but "Power Of The Daleks" will be out much sooner.

I've pre-ordered my copy from Amazon already. They tried to tell me there wasn't anything to pre-order so I created my own page. It had to be in crayon though because that's all they'll let me write with here.
Ooh, I don't have any crayons, and can't find the preorder page you created, can you post a URL, so, I can pre-order mine too?

Thanks

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 05:43 PM   #475
diankra
Commodore

StCoop wrote: View Post

Ah, good old Power of the Daleks. One of the five stories that are least likely to be found, given the number of overseas sales, and the number of prints confirmed as destroyed.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 08:50 PM   #476
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Ian Levine has broken his silence on the subject: "I know I vowed to stay silent but I cannot help but wonder if there really IS going to be a missing episode revelation tomorrow. Gotta dream (1) In an ideal perfect world, so many many many people wish something to come true so much that maybe with a miracle it will actually COME true (2) And one single solitary person holds all our hopes and dreams and wishes and happiness in his hands, with the power to bring us joy tomorrow (3) And maybe there can be magic in the world after all (4)."

allyngibson.net
Old September 16 2013, 08:58 PM   #477
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Ian Levine has broken his silence on the subject: "I know I vowed to stay silent but I cannot help but wonder if there really IS going to be a missing episode revelation tomorrow. Gotta dream (1) In an ideal perfect world, so many many many people wish something to come true so much that maybe with a miracle it will actually COME true (2) And one single solitary person holds all our hopes and dreams and wishes and happiness in his hands, with the power to bring us joy tomorrow (3) And maybe there can be magic in the world after all (4)."
Is that Tomorrow as in the day after today, or tomorrow as in any day after today?

If he actually means the day after today, what would make him pick tomorrow? Is there another big announcement that's been announced to be taking place tomorrow?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 09:11 PM   #478
Christopher
Writer

Maybe it's tomorrow in the Annie sense. It's always a day away!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 09:11 PM   #479
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
If he actually means the day after today, what would make him pick tomorrow? Is there another big announcement that's been announced to be taking place tomorrow?
He means tomorrow, the 17th.

I'm not entirely clear on the reasons myself, but some of the True Believers(TM) believe that the BBC will make the missing episode announcement on a Tuesday in September. And lately the True Believers(TM) have glommed onto tomorrow as the Tuesday in September.

allyngibson.net
Old September 16 2013, 09:53 PM   #480
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ A Tuesday eh? Sounds like they're playing a game of Fizzbin with its complicated rules!
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote