Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 16 2013, 08:39 PM   #1
JT Perfecthair
Lieutenant

when will they learn that a Manual Override can never be Offline?

Apart from the 10,000 volts in their keyboards that explode and the endless steam lines that run all over the bridge waiting to start venting as soon as a torpedo hits, what drives me nuts about Trek combat scenes is the inevitable:

random ensign: "The shields are out/engines off/engines gone wild/insert crisis here!"

captain: "Engage the manual override!"

random ensign: "I cant sir, the manual override is offline!"

Well it can't be, its a MANUAL system. In modern day you push a button to lower your aircraft landing gear, if the computer either does nothing or reports back that your landing gear are not responding, you don't keep pushing the buttons, instead you go to your manual override which is a hand crank that lowers the gear.

Trek seems to have only automatic manual systems!
JT Perfecthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 08:52 PM   #2
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: when will they learn that a Manual Override can never be Offline?

I'd be more worried about the high rate of failure of the fail safe systems. i.e. the Warp core ejection system. i.e a failure of the ejection system should actually cause the core to be ejected.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 10:46 PM   #3
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I'd be more worried about the high rate of failure of the fail safe systems. i.e. the Warp core ejection system. i.e a failure of the ejection system should actually cause the core to be ejected.
And then there's that useless warp core shield in Nemesis. Sure, it might do other things that we're not aware of, like stabilizing the intermix chamber or something technobabbly like that, but what good is it if it drops with a single hit? The script put it up just so that it could go down, maybe there was some change leftover in the SFX budget.
Old September 16 2013, 11:07 PM   #4
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yeah OSHA would have a field day on a Starfleet vessel. Starfleet.. we put the FAIL in failsafe!
Old September 17 2013, 12:19 AM   #5
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

Ensign Gueststar: "Compensating....rerouting power from the Artificial Gravity system"

Captain Picard: "I thought you said all systems lost power?"

Ensign Gueststar: "Artificial Gravity and the Holodeck are connected to a different failsafe device, the Plot-Potential-Multiplier. They cannot fail"

Captain Picard: "Make it so...."
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 07:24 AM   #6
Tiberius
Commodore

JT Perfecthair wrote: View Post
Apart from the 10,000 volts in their keyboards that explode and the endless steam lines that run all over the bridge waiting to start venting as soon as a torpedo hits, what drives me nuts about Trek combat scenes is the inevitable:

random ensign: "The shields are out/engines off/engines gone wild/insert crisis here!"

Well it can't be, its a MANUAL system. In modern day you push a button to lower your aircraft landing gear, if the computer either does nothing or reports back that your landing gear are not responding, you don't keep pushing the buttons, instead you go to your manual override which is a hand crank that lowers the gear.

And when the handle breaks off, the manual over-ride is offline.

Any system can break and not work.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Tiberius
Commodore

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Actually, the whole idea of a failsafe system is that if it fails, it remains safe.

As an example, take the brakes on trains here in Sydney. The wheels are turned by electric motors, but the brakes are operate by compressed air. But the air keeps the brakes OFF. That way, if the air system fails, the brakes come on, because there's nothing keeping the brakes off. And so, it's impossible for a train in Sydney to run out of control. The brakes are either working, or they're not. If they're working, then the driver can apply them at any time. And if they aren't working, they're stuck on and the train can't move. So if it fails, it's safe.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 08:11 AM   #8
Captain Rob
Commodore

The fail safe/manual override systems on Star Trek reminds me of the old WW2 Bugs Bunny cartoon with the Gremlins. Bugs is alone on a huge bomber that's about to crash. He hits the autopilot button. And out of a cabinet pops this stick figure robot with a lightbulb for a head. It surveys the situation while making beeping sounds and his head blinks. It then grabs the only parachute and bails out.
Old September 17 2013, 08:24 AM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post

And when the handle breaks off, the manual over-ride is offline.

Any system can break and not work.
This. IMO, manual override is simply taking direct control of a system from the computer, but if the command links to that system goes offline, so does manual override. At that point, you need people to scramble and physically do things the old-fashioned way with wrenches and hammers--which probably takes more time than is available in an immediate crisis situation, but could be done afterward during repairs.
Old September 17 2013, 08:45 AM   #10
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Out of Order?! FUCK! Even in the future nothing works!
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 09:04 AM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The weapons sure don't. Even in that time travel silliness that was Relativity, the future of the future, the phasers still don't hurt people.
Old September 17 2013, 09:54 AM   #12
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

R. Star wrote: View Post
The weapons sure don't. Even in that time travel silliness that was Relativity, the future of the future, the phasers still don't hurt people.
I think Starfleet security personnel, and the Galactic Empire's Stormtroopers are trained at the same facility.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 02:22 PM   #13
The Wormhole
Admiral

"Offline" is often the Trek term for "not working." After all, on Voyager, the toilets once went "offline."
Old September 17 2013, 05:43 PM   #14
Forbin
Admiral

Maybe the manual crank broke.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 05:54 PM   #15
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Any system can stop working. That's all that "offline" means, anyway - it doesn't work. Just because the manual override is, well, manual, doesn't mean jack. It can stop working just like any other system can.

And let's face it, in a freaking STARSHIP, there's not going to be a system that is so manual that it involves turning a crank. You simply don't have things like that on a starship. All Starfleet technology works by computers and pressing buttons - that's simply how it is. Everything is automated. There is no crank to pull. You don't see helm officers steering the ship by turning a wheel - same story here.

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; September 17 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote