Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 15 2013, 04:07 AM   #91
JD
Admiral

Re: FLASH series being developed for The CW

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
To me its not so much his looks as what he's done so far. I don't know if being on Glee translates well to being The Flash He doesn't have to look that much like the comics version, but he should look like someone you'd accept as a legitimate superhero, this guy looks like a pretty boy from various stupid tV shows (which pretty much is the kind of actor he seems to be). Barry is usually a more serious kind of superhero. This guy looks like he'll be defeated by Mirror master because he'll be too busy adjusting his hair in MM's mirrors
Right, because actors' only ever do one type of TV shows. Nobody's ever gone from a goofy comedy to a serious drama, or from a teen series to an action series.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 01:45 AM   #92
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

He bears a striking similarity to Brandon Routh in that pic.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 06:54 PM   #93
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
To me its not so much his looks as what he's done so far. I don't know if being on Glee translates well to being The Flash He doesn't have to look that much like the comics version, but he should look like someone you'd accept as a legitimate superhero, this guy looks like a pretty boy from various stupid tV shows (which pretty much is the kind of actor he seems to be). Barry is usually a more serious kind of superhero. This guy looks like he'll be defeated by Mirror master because he'll be too busy adjusting his hair in MM's mirrors
Right, because actors' only ever do one type of TV shows. Nobody's ever gone from a goofy comedy to a serious drama, or from a teen series to an action series.
And every one who has done that was awesome, right? I'm sorry, but Glee is not a show that you should expect good actors to come from. Its not impossible, but his work to date combined with his age and how he looks he's definately not someone I have a lot of confidence in when it comes to playing Barry.

I'm not saying its not possible for him to be good, I'm saying every image I've seen of him makes him look like a stupid pretty boy and I can't imagine him being a guy who works with forensics. I want to be proven wrong, and I'll watch his arrow episodes with an open mind, but I won't be too surprised if his casting proves to suck and it ruins the chances of a flash TV show.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 07:26 PM   #94
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

And every one who has done that was awesome, right? I'm sorry, but Glee is not a show that you should expect good actors to come from. Its not impossible, but his work to date combined with his age and how he looks he's definately not someone I have a lot of confidence in when it comes to playing Barry.

I'm not saying its not possible for him to be good, I'm saying every image I've seen of him makes him look like a stupid pretty boy and I can't imagine him being a guy who works with forensics. I want to be proven wrong, and I'll watch his arrow episodes with an open mind, but I won't be too surprised if his casting proves to suck and it ruins the chances of a flash TV show.
Regarding his experience and roles - Apparently he's played a villian on Glee (I assume this must be the male version of "Mean Girls"?) and someone mentioned he played twins on a cop show, with different personalities. So, that's 3 very distinct roles, so, there's reason to hope he's up for the challenge acting-wise.

As far as his look, yes, he's quite the pretty boy, but, Stephen Amell has some pictures from before Arrow where he looks quite the Pretty Boy. Also, for many, his size could be a plus, I've seen many people grumble about The Flash (Or Spiderman) being portrayed by too bulky an actor, so, his smaller, toned and athletic, but, not bulky mulscular physique should be right in the wheelhouse for folks who thought John Wesley Shipp was ridiculously buffed for the part. As far as his pretty boy face, there's no reason a pretty boy face can't be taken seriously as a Forensic scientist, and NOTE: The article specifically throws in the word "Assistant", so, he's not even necessarily a fully qualified Forensics Scientist, he could be an intern, still studying.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 07:48 PM   #95
JD
Admiral

And every one who has done that was awesome, right?
Yeah, we all know that George Clooney guy has had a horrible career, it just totally crashed and burned after he did Roseanne and ER.
Or that Leonardo DeCaprio kid, he's had no success whatsoever.
Old September 16 2013, 10:24 PM   #96
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Yeah, we all know that George Clooney guy has had a horrible career, it just totally crashed and burned after he did Roseanne and ER.
Those are two examples. There are probably a lot more, but there are most likely just as many people who can't make the transition. I bet you this guy won't become George Cloony or DiCaprio (and I'm not really fans of them, but they are definately famous and decent at what they do). Its nothing against him, I just don't think he'll be doing too much stuff after Arrow unless he's a really good actor, which I doubt. Like i said, I'm willing to watch and hopefully be surprised.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 10:36 PM   #97
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Kal Penn and John Cho have done a good job of juggling both drama and comedy in both movies and TV.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 04:02 AM   #98
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Maybe DeCaprio should credit Alan Thicke for all of his success. Also, don't forget The Facts of Life!!!
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 06:16 AM   #99
JD
Admiral

Those are two examples. There are probably a lot more, but there are most likely just as many people who can't make the transition. I bet you this guy won't become George Cloony or DiCaprio (and I'm not really fans of them, but they are definately famous and decent at what they do). Its nothing against him, I just don't think he'll be doing too much stuff after Arrow unless he's a really good actor, which I doubt. Like i said, I'm willing to watch and hopefully be surprised.
Almost every actor has more than one type of role on there resume. I don't think I've ever come across any actor who has only done one type of in their entire career.
Hell in just the last 3 years, Stephen Amell, the Hood himself, has been on Hung, an HBO dramedy about gigelos, New Girl, a sitcom on Fox, Private Practice, a drama about doctors and their personal live, Heartland, a family drama about a family running a horse ranch in Canda, and Arrow.
Old September 19 2013, 12:21 PM   #100
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

So how do you think they will develop the rogues on this show? While I know they will strike out in their own direction will it follow more closely the internally powered versions or the classic ones. Rogues I would really like to see are the Top, Cpt. Cold, Golden Glider, Boomerang, Heat Wave and Abra Kadabra. Of course Reverse Flash should be the big bad at the end of the first season.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 10:22 PM   #101
Dream
Admiral

The CW’s The Flash Will No Longer Be Introduced on ARROW; Traditional Pilot Moving Forward Instead
The CW’s further expansion into the superhero world is getting a slight tweak. While the network originally announced plans to first introduce the character of Barry Allen aka The Flash on the popular drama series Arrow before possibly moving forward with a series all his own, The CW has now decided to forego the backdoor pilot plan in favor of going straight to pilot with The Flash. The introduction of Grant Gustin (Glee) as Barry Allen in episodes 8 and 9 of Arrow have already been shot, and the initial plan was to fully unveil The Flash character in episode 20 as a backdoor pilot. That plan now appears to have been altered significantly. Hit the jump for more.

Per Deadline, response to those first two Barry Allen episodes of Arrow—which don’t feature the superhero costume—has apparently been positive enough to scrap plans for the Flash-centric episode 20, and the network will instead move ahead with production on a traditional pilot for The Flash. It’s unknown if Allen will still appear in episode 20, but the producers of The Flash will now have a larger budget with which to properly introduce the character in a fully fledged pilot. Fear not, though, it sounds like episodes 8 and 9 will still air as-is.
Looks like the CW is quite impressed with what they have seen.
Old November 19 2013, 12:45 AM   #102
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Then why frakk it up like this?

A stand alone pilot might be a better introduction, but it sidesteps the Arrow audience as automatic initiates.

Because I'm mental, this is what would rock my world... Parallel stories.

Have the Flash pilot and the Arrow episodes filmed on top of each other so that the backs of heads are in some episodes that has the fronts of the same heads and vice versus... You know like in Back to the Future 2.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 04:36 PM   #103
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

We're still getting two episodes with Barry Allen in it. If Arrow fans like what they see I'm sure they'll tune in.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 10:43 PM   #104
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Sorry for the double post but I just had a thought. It will be criminal if they don't use John Wesley Shipp in some capacity in this new series. My preference would be to see him turn up as Jay Garrick. Judging from recent photos of him he would totally fit the part.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 12:03 AM   #105
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I always love it when movies/shows do stuff like that.