Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 13 2013, 09:39 PM   #46
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

Re: Rolling Stone Magazine calls for the return of TNG to TV

I'd rather have a live action Star Trek series with totally new characters than a cartoon with familiar voices.
Old September 13 2013, 11:34 PM   #47
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I wouldn't want to see an animated TNG.

There are three groups in America who watch animated television. Young kids, people who like indescriminant raunch, and college age men who like things designed for 13 year old Japanese girls. They'd probably go in the young kids direction like Star Wars.

And a TNG related project would get some ratings at least at the beginning. Heck, my 57 year old mother liked TNG so much that she asked me a couple weeks ago "I just got to season four of DS9, what should I watch next?" (She said she was going to skip Voyager. I've never been so proud of her.)

It wouldn't get the same ratings it originally got but if the show was designed as an episodic procedural to appeal to the CBS-type audience it'd do pretty darn well.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 11:37 PM   #48
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

No. Star Trek cannot continue to feed on it's own dying corpse and survive.

There needs to be an infusion of new ideas and original stories for Trek to thrive again.
Old September 14 2013, 12:43 AM   #49
RAMA
Vice Admiral

kooky
Old September 14 2013, 02:51 AM   #50
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Mysterion wrote: View Post
No. Star Trek cannot continue to feed on it's own dying corpse and survive.

There needs to be an infusion of new ideas and original stories for Trek to thrive again.
If there's ever another commercially successful Star Trek TV show, it will be the same premise as TOS but with modern characters.
Old September 15 2013, 04:43 PM   #51
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
There are three groups in America who watch animated television. Young kids, people who like indescriminant raunch, and college age men who like things designed for 13 year old Japanese girls. They'd probably go in the young kids direction like Star Wars.
Not to generalize, though, right?
Now let's go watch some Simpsons with those 13 year old Japanese girls...
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 04:47 PM   #52
R. Star
Rear Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
There's a lot of people out there who think because they don't like something, no one else should.
Old September 15 2013, 05:37 PM   #53
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
Simpsons goes in the 'raunch' category.

It's not raunchy by today's standards but sure was by 1990 standards. It's just shows like South Park and Family Guy that capitalized on Simpsons' success and took the raunch farther that make it so you don't put it in that category. In 1990 it was controversial just to have a family on TV that was dysfunctional.

Obviously there are exceptions, but not in money-making numbers. The anime that gets distributed to the US tends to be the anime designed for younger kids. The anime targeted at an older audience only gets seen by a small core fan base who torrent fansubs. Monster, for example, sold so badly in the first volume in the US they didn't even release the rest of the series.

And even if you like the kind of shonen anime that does get distributed in the US, you can't deny that the writers had 13 year old boys in mind.
Old September 15 2013, 08:18 PM   #54
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

You know, there's a lot of good points on both sides of the issue being made in this thread, but the rampant ageism is really throwing me.

With the exception of Patrick Stewart, the cast members are all in their 50's and 60's. Hate to break it to you, folks, but people in their 50's and 60's today live as vibrant and active lives as their counterparts who are 20 years younger. The idea that the new series would have to be set in "a nursing home," as one poster said, is just downright offensive.

Not everything on television has to feature people who are in their 20's in order to be believable or successful. I'm not saying that simply resurrecting TNG without any changes, and putting "the big 7" back in the same spots, would be the way to go. But don't discount that group of actors just because they've got a few more years on them.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 09:13 PM   #55
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I don't see TNG returning to TV anytime soon. To be honest, I'm not sure where they would plan to go from here.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 10:03 PM   #56
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

As much as I love the era of TNG/DS9/VOY...no....no...

And if they rebooted it with new actors it just would not be the same. Picard could not be played by anyone except Pat Stewart...so...

If anything, I would love it if they made a new TV show with a different crew though.
Old September 15 2013, 10:11 PM   #57
Mr_Homn
Captain

Wouldn't mind a TNG animated season 8. All the actors doing voices with modern animation. Would be pretty awesome. It could take place years later or days later. Wouldn't matter.
Old September 16 2013, 02:31 AM   #58
mythme
Commodore

If you place it "years later" then it would nullify events in all the Next Gen movies - of course there of those who wouldn't object to that.
Old September 16 2013, 03:43 PM   #59
Chensams
Vice Admiral

As I said in the other thread, as much as I would love to see more TNG, I just think it wouldn't work without Data and Spiner looks too old for the part now (unless they can CGI his face ala Prof X in X-Men the Last Stand).

That being said, I wish they would a least do some sort of mini-series or mini-movie on Netflix with the TNG crew.
Old September 16 2013, 05:17 PM   #60
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Wow. Initially kind of surprised that someone at Rolling Stone bothered to say anything at all about Star Trek, let alone something so... odd. But as someone else observed, RS ain't what it used to be.

And, to answer the writer of the article... no. Just no. It doesn't make sense at this point. While I want Trek back on TV as much as anyone, going back to the TNG well ain't it. Trying to continue TNG without TNG (on the part of the studios) is what killed it in the first place.

If anything, do "Star Trek: The Next Next Generation."
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote