Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 16 2013, 11:26 AM   #436
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Breaking Bad Final Half Season

This might be the best television series ever made.

doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 11:33 AM   #437
Chuck Finley
Commander

I'm pretty sure it is.
Chuck Finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 02:14 PM   #438
Tom
Rear Admiral

Amazing Episode! Who else thought Walt would come to the car wash right before Marie and Skylar talked to Walt Jr.? The reaction from Marie would have been priceless for Walt to come in pretending nothing happened. Poor Hank and Gomie, hopefully Walt reveals were the bodies are so they can have a proper burial.
Old September 16 2013, 02:31 PM   #439
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Such a great episode. I think this was the climax we waited 5 seasons for. Everything has fallen apart for Walt. He's lost his family. It's only a matter of time before the whole city--maybe even the whole country--knows about his secret life. Seems like the kind of thing that would make a great national news story. "Loving husband and father turns out to be murderous drug lord, find out more at 11."

Looks like those of us predicting Hank's exit last week were right. Hank was probably a dead man due to his wound, anyway, but seeing Walt plead for his life was great. Nope, Walt, this is one thing you can't control, even though it is entirely your fault. Jack's Nazi Pack knew they couldn't let Hank go, not after engaging in a shootout with DEA agents and killing Gomez. There's just no way Hank would let it go, Jack knew it, and Hank knew he knew it. Walt was the only one who thought there was some kind of "out" here.

And then, with Jesse helpless and marked for death, Walt decides to turn his grief into petty vengeance, twisting the knife in Jesse by telling him about Jane.

It was amazing to see Flynn's transformation in this episode. I think we saw him go through most of the stages of grief here: you had the denial ("you're making this up!"), the anger ("how could you lie to me?!), the bargaining ("maybe Dad can explain and this will all be ok!"), the depression (the quiet ride in the car with his seatbelt off), and then he moved right on to acceptance by stopping his parents from killing each other and calling the cops on Walt. Skyler's the one who grabbed the knife first, and it's possible an earlier-season Flynn might have taken Walt's side, but not now. His entire image of his father is shattered, and there's nothing to do but cast him out.

Walt taking Holly was particularly scummy, but totally believable as a rash thing for him to do in the moment. His phone call toward the end was a great performance. He actually fooled me the first time around. On a second watch, it was much more obvious to me that he was putting on one final performance to shield Skyler. Even if she hated him, he wanted to do that one last thing for his family. It could easily be argued that it was a product of arrogance, though. It's Walt exerting his control just one more time. Rather than let Skyler cop to her part in everything, he took that way from her, so it can be all his. If his legacy is to be a ruthless drug lord, then it is to be a legacy that entirely belongs to him, with no aid or accomplices.

I feel bad for Jesse. He is totally the Miles O'Brien of this show. He just gets tortured, over and over. He did the right thing by working with Hank, and all it did was get him turned into, essentially, a slave. The photo of Brock and Andrea sure wasn't subtle.

Looks like those of you who speculated Walt bought the M60 to rescue Jesse were probably right. Although it's hard to imagine what kind of horrible state Jesse will be in after almost a year being forced to work for Jack's Nazi Pack.

I also wonder what Lydia's take on all this will be. Dead DEA agents, Walt's life ruined, Jesse a prisoner, forced to cook--none of this is going to fit into her neat little world where everything is tightly-controlled and runs like clockwork.

A brief shout-out to the flashback in the opening: I like how Walt had to rehearse his lie, to drive home how good he got at lying, later on. That said, he was never that good of a liar. Even his adoring son could see through his lies a couple episodes ago. He just got better at spinning them on demand without the need to rehearse.

Finally, an interesting visual motif:

Those moments dovetail nicely in terms of who was involved, too. Here we have two men, on the ground, crying at the sight of men they loved having just been brutally murdered. But the differences are what make it so intriguing: Gus was broken at the beginning of his career, and Walt was broken at the end. If there is a lesson from all this, it is a simple one: if you're going to break bad, don't care about anyone, ever, or it will ruin you.
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 03:18 PM   #440
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
If there is a lesson from all this, it is a simple one: if you're going to break bad, don't care about anyone, ever, or it will ruin you.
"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

- Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro), Heat
Old September 16 2013, 03:21 PM   #441
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Heat is a pretty obvious influence on this show, that's for sure.
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker
Old September 16 2013, 03:26 PM   #442
Mojochi
Commodore

Chuck Finley wrote: View Post
I like that Todd seems to feel bad for Jesse. It should be I interesting to see if he helps Jesse and turns on his uncle or what. Great episode.
I'm pretty sure it was all Todd's idea to torture & then force Jesse into servitude. I have to believe that it's all Todd's idea to still be cooking at all even. I can't imagine Jack or any of his other guys would be willing to run the risks of operating a drug lab now that they are all multimillionaires. What's the point if you're already rich?

I feel like the only reason Todd is still cooking is because he cares about Lydia, & with Walt gone, Jesse is maybe the only other guy who can help him produce the product that Lydia needs

I feel bad for Jesse. He is totally the Miles O'Brien of this show. He just gets tortured, over and over. He did the right thing by working with Hank, and all it did was get him turned into, essentially, a slave. The photo of Brock and Andrea sure wasn't subtle.
It is certainly without question that it's Jesse's burden to be utterly destroyed as a person, & made to suffer more than anyone perhaps in the history of television

The performances from the three leads of this show are quite possibly the most incredible achievements of anyone ever televised, & I'm certain that everyone, including myself, underestimated all three of them & their ability to deliver said performances. A one dimensional white ghetto punk stereotypical actor, a one dimensional stereotypical macho cop actor, & the silly doofas dad from Malcolm in The Middle. I don't think anyone on Earth could have predicted the level of excellence we've seen from these guys
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 03:55 PM   #443
J.T.B.
Commodore

Some great points being made in the posts here.

Chuck Finley wrote: View Post
I like that Todd seems to feel bad for Jesse. It should be I interesting to see if he helps Jesse and turns on his uncle or what. Great episode.
I'm not sure about that at all, I think he may just care about Jesse so far as he can enslave him to help him improve the quality of the product and impress Lydia. I think Jesse is on his own, there. ETA: Mojochi beat me to it.

Tom wrote: View Post
Poor Hank and Gomie, hopefully Walt reveals were the bodies are so they can have a proper burial.
Agreed, I was really hoping for that. If Walt was trying to do something to help his family, that would have been a nice thing to add.

It could easily be argued that it was a product of arrogance, though. It's Walt exerting his control just one more time. Rather than let Skyler cop to her part in everything, he took that way from her, so it can be all his. If his legacy is to be a ruthless drug lord, then it is to be a legacy that entirely belongs to him, with no aid or accomplices.
I can see that argument, but I don't think so. I think that little girl looking for her mom finally got through to Walt. He started this whole thing for his family, and even though he screwed up and let his ego push it out of control, he can still fall back to doing something for his family. Which my still be an ego move, seeing himself as the protector, but at least it's not vanity, since no one will know.

Finally, an interesting visual motif:
Thanks, I'd forgotten that.

Also:

Though it seems more likely that Hank would have gone down like Gomey, it was good they gave him the scene he deserved. The contrast of Hank going out like a man to his own grovelling may have helped Walt decide to step up for Skyler with the phone call.

And speaking of stepping up, Marie has become a really strong compared to how she was at the beginning of the series. And I feel bad for her because Hank gave her that abuse and she just took it, and now she won't get to spend her life with the Hank she loved. But her insistence on doing the right thing by Flynn seems to have been crucial.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 03:57 PM   #444
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I'd like to say that Walt pretty much confessed over the phone when all Skyler did was tell the police that he took Holly, but it looks like everything was unravelling anyway.
He wasn't confessing. Like the others above opined, Walt was getting Skyler off the hook. He knew the police were listening, and he never physically threatened her to get her to go along. Walt also gives Marie an out, though he couldn't have known for sure if she was there. It will be easier for Marie to believe that Walt threatened Skyler because she'll want to believe it, especially with Walt gone and her needing someone. It's an easier reality for her.

Damn, Walt twisting the knife in like that by confessing about Jane was just about the scummiest thing he's ever done. I'm not surprised Todd kept Jesse around; Todd can't make the pure meth. Jesse can. Yes, Walt must rescue Jesse. There's no way he can redeem himself, but he'll come to realize that he owes him. That would be fitting, though, for Walt to rescue Jesse and then have Jesse blow Walt's brains out anyway because of Jane. I thought they were going to kill Jesse there for a moment.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 04:00 PM   #445
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

I'd so love it if the show ended with Jesse shooting Walt, despite Walt coming to save him.
Old September 16 2013, 04:05 PM   #446
Agent Richard07
Admiral

So far, a lot of the big dramas I've liked had stellar endings... Six Feet Under, Battlestar Galactica and The Shield, which I finished last week. Can this show's ending do something just as brilliant and memorable? Can't wait to find out.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 04:06 PM   #447
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I'd like to say that Walt pretty much confessed over the phone when all Skyler did was tell the police that he took Holly, but it looks like everything was unravelling anyway.
He wasn't confessing.
Yeah, seems like everyone caught that but me.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 04:13 PM   #448
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I don't like the way Gomey died off-screen. Or that suddenly Hank has a mortal wound when they both seemed perfectly fine at the end of the previous episode.
For me I thought it was weird how Flynn was told about Walt off screen. I definitely would have liked to see more Flynn reaction.

It was kind of surprising to see him react to the knife fight the way he did. I mean Skyler slashed at Walt. It seemed like Walt just tried to subdue her and get the weapon away, and Flynn now views that as his dad attacking and trying to hurt his mom? Wow. The kid's really been hurt to have switched over so quickly.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 04:19 PM   #449
J.T.B.
Commodore

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
It was kind of surprising to see him react to the knife fight the way he did. I mean Skyler slashed at Walt. It seemed like Walt just tried to subdue her and get the weapon away, and Flynn now views that as his dad attacking and trying to hurt his mom? Wow. The kid's really been hurt to have switched over so quickly.
I didn't find it surprising at all. He's a decent kid and now he's got the facts he saw the situation the way it is: Walt's the bad guy.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 04:33 PM   #450
Chuck Finley
Commander

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
He wasn't confessing.
Yeah, seems like everyone caught that but me.
No, I didn't catch it either, I just thought he was being a dick. I noticed him crying, but I figured it was because everything was crumbling before his eyes.
Chuck Finley is offline   Reply With Quote