New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 11 2013, 08:22 PM   #16
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Pre TOS star cruiser....

There's been some delay in posting updates. Basically my progress hasn't been all smooth. SOmetimes rendering something in 3D doesn't quite translate from how I initially envisioned it. My first saucer attempt wasn't wholly to my liking so I redid it. The engineering section (connecting the saucer to the warp nacelle syppport pylons was next on not being satisfactory until three tries later. Then the dorsal to the support hull wasn't right until the third try.

The support hull has given me the most trouble. I just couldn't get the shape just right. I obviously didn't want to just do a version of the familiar Connie support hull. A large part of this design exercise is to fashion something that suggests what comes later. I want the Constitution-class to look both evolutionary and revolutionary to reflect something of where design has evolved from as well as reflect the obvious influence of significant technological advancement---essentially the influence of Daystrom's duotronic computer advancement that revolutionizes so much of starship design. For example I would also posit that the transporter (teleportation) just isn't feasible for human transport until the advent of Daystrom's much faster systems.

Another challenge has been the forward part of the suport hull where the navigational deflector is located. On the Enterprise we have a huge parabolic antenna design, but this isn't what MJ initially envisioned. His original idea was apparently a dome like affair on the front of the support hull, but somewhere along the way someone had other ideas. So picking up on what I did on my star clipper design I'm trying to revisit MJ's original idea. The problem is in making it look aestheicaly pleasing. An actual half shpere is not the way to go as it looks like the overlarge mass just hanging on the front end of the support hull. My solution has been to make the nav-dome more shallow and a bit smaller in diameter. The shape of the support hull itself is also something I've wrestled with and I've come to realize that it needs more visual texture, more detail to overcome its basically simple shape.
Old September 12 2013, 03:45 AM   #17
Warped9
Admiral

Finally some decent progress.

Old September 12 2013, 03:49 PM   #18
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Nice! I notice the neck appears a bit longer than in your original concepts... any particular reason beyond aesthetics? Personally, I kind of dig the shorter one.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 04:02 PM   #19
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Looking good so far, I like the added detail to the neck spine.
Old September 12 2013, 04:06 PM   #20
Warped9
Admiral

Praetor wrote: View Post
Nice! I notice the neck appears a bit longer than in your original concepts... any particular reason beyond aesthetics? Personally, I kind of dig the shorter one.
Yes, it is a touch longer. I just felt it better balanced visually when you factor in the addition of the nacelles when in place. And I should get something posted with the nacelles in place soon. Then all the major components will be done and it will be a matter of detailing.

Note, though, that this remains stubbier looking in general than the Pike and Kirk era ships that will follow while still retaining some element of grace and subtle curving. I tried to resist getting too blocky and chunky looking. I also feel I've established something of a lineage from the star clipper to this and then to the Pike/Kirk era designs.
Old September 12 2013, 04:16 PM   #21
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Cool, and I agree that you've got a good lineage going here, too.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old September 12 2013, 08:17 PM   #22
BK613
Captain

I like this design...
Old September 12 2013, 10:45 PM   #23
Warped9
Admiral

It took two tries to get the nacelles right. I had to slim them down about five percent and add a slight half degree taper which also negthened them visually.

So now we have something familiar and yet different.

I've been thinking of this as the Discovery-class and some sistership names that come to mind are: Atlantis, Challenger, Vanguard, Endeavor, Eagle, La Frontier, Valiant, Republic and Polaris.

Hmmm, it also occurs to me how easy it would be to make an FJ style destroyer/scout variant of this design.

Last edited by Warped9; September 13 2013 at 12:28 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 10:51 AM   #24
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

This is awesome... We should put yours in a side by side scene with the Enterprise concept I did. Not to steal your show, I just think it would be neat to see these ships together.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 09:20 PM   #25
publiusr
Commodore

I have always liked the idea of a small impulse deck at the base of the saucer's dorsal. That would be nice to see in the Federation refit dreadnought Aridas did with a longer refit secondary hull.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 11:39 PM   #26
Warped9
Admiral

Gettin' in some nacelle detailing.

I gotta say that often before I get into the colouring these renders can look like model kits.

Last edited by Warped9; September 16 2013 at 12:38 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 12:55 AM   #27
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Looking great! I really like the stepdown in the nacelle design. That aft view is just gorgeous.

Forgive me, I feel like I should know - what program are you using?
Old September 16 2013, 01:04 AM   #28
Warped9
Admiral

Forgive me, I feel like I should know - what program are you using?
SketchUp.
Old September 16 2013, 03:55 PM   #29
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Neat. I should give that a try. Thanks!
Old September 16 2013, 05:12 PM   #30
Warped9
Admiral

Neat. I should give that a try. Thanks!
I started with it about a year and a half ago. I found it a bit frustrating at first, but persevered and got evermore proficient with it. You're always learning and trying new things and learning new tricks. And each model is a bit better than the previous one. I can now consider revisiting earlier projects because of what I've learned since.