Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 15 2013, 11:10 PM   #16
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: New ST reader saying hello!

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Slyvon wrote: View Post
You can't swing a dead Targ these days without hitting three or four of us Christophers!

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Adding some Bennett books to the list. I had been thinking about reading those DTI books anyway!
Yeah, Bennett's name is a definite guarantee of quality.

Specifically, I second the recommendation for The Buried Age; that's my favorite of his. Incredibly rocking awesome.
And this is the part where I shamelessly mention Christopher's original novel, ONLY SUPERHUMAN, which just came out in paperback . . . .
Old September 15 2013, 11:30 PM   #17
Relayer1
Commodore

Welcome aboard Chris !

I'd watch out for Christopher, Greg, KRAD and Co. if I was you - they're always on here on about their books 'n other stuff.

I find the best way to deal with 'em is to buy their books...

Old September 15 2013, 11:59 PM   #18
jpv2000
Captain

Welcome Aboard!

I see you mentioned Titan already. That's my current fave series. Christopher wrote 2 of those, 2 of the best in my humble opinion.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 12:02 AM   #19
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Welcome aboard Chris !

I'd watch out for Christopher, Greg, KRAD and Co. if I was you - they're always on here on about their books 'n other stuff.

I find the best way to deal with 'em is to buy their books...

Well, if you insist . . . .
Old September 16 2013, 04:05 AM   #20
Kertrats47
Commodore

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Welcome! Yeah, you're definitely in for some terrific reading. Kirsten Beyer's Voyager novels are a particular favourite of mine, as are Christopher's books (especially the Department of Temporal Investigations books, but I also loved his first foray into the post-Enterprise universe with A Choice of Futures)!
Old September 16 2013, 10:51 PM   #21
JWolf
Commodore

Welcome and I hope you are enjoying your Star Trek reads.
Old September 16 2013, 11:35 PM   #22
BrentMc
Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to the boards!
BrentMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 12:20 AM   #23
JD
Admiral

Welcome. Sounds like you're off to a good start, and you've got lots of good stuff ahead of you too.
Old September 18 2013, 06:11 PM   #24
dansigal
Commander

It really is a fun endeavor. I took it up about 2 years ago. My general strategy is to alternate between a Trek book and a non-Trek book to both draw out the experience and keep some variety in my life.

I started with the entire DS9 relaunch, which initially was my only goal, since it was my favorite series. But that hooked me, and from there I read 2 Voyager duologies and the Time To series. I've got through the first two Titan books and liked them a lot. I just finished Articles of the Federation the other day, and despite the author clearly being a hack and never shutting up about baseball, i absolutely loved it. It was such a breath of fresh air, and I am looking forward to the Bacco administration continuing to be a presence in the litverse.

I plan to take the same path that you are, although I've heard that Vanguard might have some relevancy to some of the Typhon Pact stuff, so I was thinking of making sure to read that series before TP. Maybe some folks here could give some non-spoilery advisement on that. Also I vaguely remember hearing something about some of the Enterprise relaunch stuff being relevant to Destiny, would it make sense to read any of that before getting to Destiny?

Anyway, glad to have you along for the ride. Super pumped for more Titan, new Voyager, Destiny, Typhon Pact, and one day far far in the future things like Cold Equations and The Fall.

EDIT - I just realized that I got all of those notions from Thrawn's frickin awesome flow chart. Still would love some advisement on reading order!

Last edited by dansigal; September 18 2013 at 06:21 PM.
dansigal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 06:39 PM   #25
Christopher
Writer

dansigal wrote: View Post
Also I vaguely remember hearing something about some of the Enterprise relaunch stuff being relevant to Destiny, would it make sense to read any of that before getting to Destiny?
Not necessary. Actually Destiny was conceived first and then the ENT post-finale books tried to tie into it, but there's a bit of a continuity error between the two; something that's portrayed as occurring in 2156 in Destiny is implied to happen a year earlier and in a different place in ENT: Kobayashi Maru. The next ENT novel after that retcons things to reconcile the discrepancy.

As long as you're familiar with the fourth season of Enterprise, you can follow Destiny just fine.

But if you do want to read something before Destiny, may I suggest my TNG novel Greater Than the Sum, which is essentially a prologue to the trilogy?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 06:55 PM   #26
dansigal
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
But if you do want to read something before Destiny, may I suggest my TNG novel Greater Than the Sum, which is essentially a prologue to the trilogy?
Oh, I absolutely intend to, as well as all other TNG relaunch stuff before and after Destiny.

Also, i don't intend to wait until I'm all caught up in the 24th century before I get to your Rise of the Federation novels, so I was planning on squeezing the Enterprise stuff in there along the way. I figure reading the first two before Destiny is as good a place to start as any. But thanks for the advice, I guess we'll see how anxious I am to get to Destiny.
Old September 19 2013, 06:57 AM   #27
Slyvon
Lieutenant

View Slyvon's Twitter Profile

I started with the entire DS9 relaunch, which initially was my only goal, since it was my favorite series.
Thats cool, it sounds like you and I have the same reading goals! Reading the DS9 book Unity now, ugh its so good!

In regards to the DS9, did you read them all or stop at Warpath? The last two, Fearful Symmetry and The Soul Key, sound like they take place in the mirror universe and I'd probably prefer to skip those if thats the case.

After DS9 is the Titan series and I'm very excited to start that series!
Slyvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 08:26 AM   #28
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

I've heard that Vanguard might have some relevancy to some of the Typhon Pact stuff, so I was thinking of making sure to read that series before TP. Maybe some folks here could give some non-spoilery advisement on that.

To a certain extent, yes, with respect to the Typhon pact novel Paths of Disharmony. But not so much that you absolutely definitely positively have to read Vanguard first. Paths will give you what you need to know when you need to know it. On the other hand, Vanguard is generally considered one of the best Lit series of the lot, so you may want to just read them anyway for their own sake.

In regards to the DS9, did you read them all or stop at Warpath? The last two, Fearful Symmetry and The Soul Key, sound like they take place in the mirror universe and I'd probably prefer to skip those if thats the case.

They don't take place entirely in the MU, but they do use the MU as a location. You shouldn't skip them as they conclude the 'arc' begun with Fragments and Omens, Olympus Descending and Warpath. They are definitely a necessary part of the DS9-R storyline.

Unfortunately it's after them that the DS9-R "break" happens, picking up again only with the Typhon Pact books set several years after.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 12:23 PM   #29
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

And ending on a cliffhanger, I might add.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 06:42 PM   #30
dansigal
Commander

that was actually my plan just as yours seems to be, because I didn't have any interest in reading just mirror universe books. But as previously stated, mirror universe is just part of the plot, and it actually continues the story from Warpath, so its something you'll want to read and worthwhile reading.

I've read two Titan's book, and Chris' Orion's Hounds is next up on my list. I'm enjoying it so far.