Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 14 2013, 10:29 PM   #331
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Dream wrote: View Post
"When I was in my early twenties on a trip to East Africa, I saw a gazelle giving birth. It was truly amazing. Within minutes, the baby was standing up, standing up on its own. A few more minutes, and it was walking; and before I knew it, it was running alongside its mother, moving away with the herd. Humans aren't like that, Ambassador. We may come from the same planet as those gazelles, but we're pretty much helpless when we're born. It takes us months before we're able to crawl; almost a full year before we can walk. Our deep space mission isn't much different. We're going to stumble, make mistakes - I'm sure more than a few, before we find our footing. But we're going to learn from those mistakes. That's what being human is all about. I'm sorry you can't see that. "
Well, it's an entire speech, not a line. Why is it "bad"?
Old September 14 2013, 10:31 PM   #332
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I wasn't really here that much when Season 1 of Enterprise aired (I was still posting on startrek.com) so I'm sorry if this question has been addressed over and over, but what was so wrong with the Gazelle speech? If it was Picard giving that speech, it might have been one of the best speeches written. Was it the actual speech people didn't like or the actor giving it?
Old September 14 2013, 10:52 PM   #333
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
If it was Picard giving that speech, it might have been one of the best speeches written.
That sums up one of my main issues with Enterprise in a nutshell. They kept writing material for TNG, but the actors involved just couldn't pull it off.

I came to this realization when I was watching a scene of Archer chewing out Reed in his ready room. I realized that the scene would have been a lot more engaging if it had featured the characters for whom it was written...Picard and Worf. In the hands of Bakula and Keating, it was a whinefest.
The Dead Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 10:59 PM   #334
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
If it was Picard giving that speech, it might have been one of the best speeches written.
That sums up one of my main issues with Enterprise in a nutshell. They kept writing material for TNG, but the actors involved just couldn't pull it off.

I came to this realization when I was watching a scene of Archer chewing out Reed in his ready room. I realized that the scene would have been a lot more engaging if it had featured the characters for whom it was written...Picard and Worf. In the hands of Bakula and Keating, it was a whinefest.
It's Stewart's delivery that saves a lot of his dialog, not the writing.
Old September 14 2013, 11:18 PM   #335
Sran
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
The words themselves aren't bad. I think the delivery of the line could be better. If any of Kirk, Picard, or Sisko said it, I'd probably like it. Though in at least two of the above cases, there might be weird pauses mid-sentence.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that speech would be perfect for Stephen Collins to give. I can see him pulling it off as a middle-aged Will Decker.

--Sran
Old September 15 2013, 01:01 AM   #336
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Sran wrote: View Post
The words themselves aren't bad. I think the delivery of the line could be better. If any of Kirk, Picard, or Sisko said it, I'd probably like it. Though in at least two of the above cases, there might be weird pauses mid-sentence.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that speech would be perfect for Stephen Collins to give. I can see him pulling it off as a middle-aged Will Decker.

--Sran
I saw nothing wrong with the speech, Archer giving it or Bakula's delivery. My only problem is that it didn't help Archer's case.
Old September 15 2013, 01:05 AM   #337
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

What the Vulcans heard via Universal Translator:

"Sure, we're a bunch of f***-ups....We have to f*** up, or we'll never learn. So go away and let us f*** up."
Old September 15 2013, 07:28 AM   #338
Zungen
Ensign

Worst line of all time is obviously, "Shut up, Wesley." :P
Zungen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 08:08 AM   #339
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

How about this gem?

Someday...my people are going to come up with some sort of a doctrine, something that tells us what we can and can't do out here, should and shouldn't do. But until somebody tells me that they've drafted that directive...
I can stop there, right?
Old September 15 2013, 03:21 PM   #340
F. King Daniel
Admiral

^LOOK WE'RE A PREQUEL! PRIME DIRECTIVE! SEE??

They did the same think with Arik Soong in season 4:

"Maybe... artificial life (wink, wink). It may take a few (wait for it) ... Generations."

Old September 15 2013, 03:53 PM   #341
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
"You're all astronauts on some kind of star trek...!"
Still the most cheesy line ever. The writers sure liked characters foreshadowing future events.
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 05:36 PM   #342
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

^At least that was deliberate humor.
Old September 15 2013, 06:07 PM   #343
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
^LOOK WE'RE A PREQUEL! PRIME DIRECTIVE! SEE??

They did the same think with Arik Soong in season 4:

"Maybe... artificial life (wink, wink). It may take a few (wait for it) ... Generations."

If only Mudd's last line in I, Mudd has been, "When next we meet, our battle will be more ... animated!
Bad Thoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 06:24 PM   #344
Tiberius
Commodore

Spock's "Khan!"

The only time I;ve ever been embarrassed about being a Trekker.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 11:13 PM   #345
Nebusj
Rear Admiral

View Nebusj's Twitter Profile

Dream wrote: View Post
"When I was in my early twenties on a trip to East Africa, I saw a gazelle giving birth. It was truly amazing. Within minutes, the baby was standing up, standing up on its own. A few more minutes, and it was walking; and before I knew it, it was running alongside its mother, moving away with the herd. Humans aren't like that, Ambassador. We may come from the same planet as those gazelles, but we're pretty much helpless when we're born. It takes us months before we're able to crawl; almost a full year before we can walk. Our deep space mission isn't much different. We're going to stumble, make mistakes - I'm sure more than a few, before we find our footing. But we're going to learn from those mistakes. That's what being human is all about. I'm sorry you can't see that. "
Well, first, in the episode where it appears, the Vulcans are trying to get Earth to recall Archer on the grounds that his operational recklessness set off the atmosphere on Tinder Box Planet, killing thousands, while Archer's got the proof that it was Suliban or whatever did it. So, what he should be emphasizing is, the thing the Vulcans are (rightly!) outraged by was the sabotage of people trying to get Archer's mission cancelled and not any inherent idiocy on Archer's part.

Second, the argument amounts to, ``you say we're not competent to do this job, and you're right, we're not, so we should keep doing it in the hopes that maybe someday we'll become competent''. There is a sensible argument to be made out of this --- that one can't be fully experienced without the experience --- but it's made in a muddled way that only works if the speaker is trying to appeal to sentiment, which indicates that Archer isn't aware of who his in-universe audience is.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote