RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,361
Posts: 5,446,220
Members: 24,970
Currently online: 500
Newest member: LaciFalor

TrekToday headlines

Kruge Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 14 2013, 10:29 PM   #331
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Dream wrote: View Post
"When I was in my early twenties on a trip to East Africa, I saw a gazelle giving birth. It was truly amazing. Within minutes, the baby was standing up, standing up on its own. A few more minutes, and it was walking; and before I knew it, it was running alongside its mother, moving away with the herd. Humans aren't like that, Ambassador. We may come from the same planet as those gazelles, but we're pretty much helpless when we're born. It takes us months before we're able to crawl; almost a full year before we can walk. Our deep space mission isn't much different. We're going to stumble, make mistakes - I'm sure more than a few, before we find our footing. But we're going to learn from those mistakes. That's what being human is all about. I'm sorry you can't see that. "
Well, it's an entire speech, not a line. Why is it "bad"?
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 10:31 PM   #332
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

I wasn't really here that much when Season 1 of Enterprise aired (I was still posting on startrek.com) so I'm sorry if this question has been addressed over and over, but what was so wrong with the Gazelle speech? If it was Picard giving that speech, it might have been one of the best speeches written. Was it the actual speech people didn't like or the actor giving it?
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 10:52 PM   #333
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Dead Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
If it was Picard giving that speech, it might have been one of the best speeches written.
That sums up one of my main issues with Enterprise in a nutshell. They kept writing material for TNG, but the actors involved just couldn't pull it off.

I came to this realization when I was watching a scene of Archer chewing out Reed in his ready room. I realized that the scene would have been a lot more engaging if it had featured the characters for whom it was written...Picard and Worf. In the hands of Bakula and Keating, it was a whinefest.
The Dead Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 10:59 PM   #334
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
If it was Picard giving that speech, it might have been one of the best speeches written.
That sums up one of my main issues with Enterprise in a nutshell. They kept writing material for TNG, but the actors involved just couldn't pull it off.

I came to this realization when I was watching a scene of Archer chewing out Reed in his ready room. I realized that the scene would have been a lot more engaging if it had featured the characters for whom it was written...Picard and Worf. In the hands of Bakula and Keating, it was a whinefest.
It's Stewart's delivery that saves a lot of his dialog, not the writing.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 11:18 PM   #335
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Well, it's an entire speech, not a line. Why is it "bad"?
The words themselves aren't bad. I think the delivery of the line could be better. If any of Kirk, Picard, or Sisko said it, I'd probably like it. Though in at least two of the above cases, there might be weird pauses mid-sentence.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that speech would be perfect for Stephen Collins to give. I can see him pulling it off as a middle-aged Will Decker.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 01:01 AM   #336
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Sran wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Well, it's an entire speech, not a line. Why is it "bad"?
The words themselves aren't bad. I think the delivery of the line could be better. If any of Kirk, Picard, or Sisko said it, I'd probably like it. Though in at least two of the above cases, there might be weird pauses mid-sentence.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that speech would be perfect for Stephen Collins to give. I can see him pulling it off as a middle-aged Will Decker.

--Sran
I saw nothing wrong with the speech, Archer giving it or Bakula's delivery. My only problem is that it didn't help Archer's case.
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 01:05 AM   #337
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Dead Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

What the Vulcans heard via Universal Translator:

"Sure, we're a bunch of f***-ups....We have to f*** up, or we'll never learn. So go away and let us f*** up."
The Dead Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 07:28 AM   #338
Zungen
Ensign
 
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Worst line of all time is obviously, "Shut up, Wesley." :P
Zungen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 08:08 AM   #339
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Dead Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

How about this gem?

Someday...my people are going to come up with some sort of a doctrine, something that tells us what we can and can't do out here, should and shouldn't do. But until somebody tells me that they've drafted that directive...
I can stop there, right?
The Dead Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 03:21 PM   #340
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

^LOOK WE'RE A PREQUEL! PRIME DIRECTIVE! SEE??

They did the same think with Arik Soong in season 4:

"Maybe... artificial life (wink, wink). It may take a few (wait for it) ... Generations."

__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 03:53 PM   #341
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander
 
Isolinear's Avatar
 
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
"You're all astronauts on some kind of star trek...!"
Still the most cheesy line ever. The writers sure liked characters foreshadowing future events.
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 05:36 PM   #342
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Dead Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

^At least that was deliberate humor.
The Dead Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 06:07 PM   #343
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
^LOOK WE'RE A PREQUEL! PRIME DIRECTIVE! SEE??

They did the same think with Arik Soong in season 4:

"Maybe... artificial life (wink, wink). It may take a few (wait for it) ... Generations."

If only Mudd's last line in I, Mudd has been, "When next we meet, our battle will be more ... animated!
Bad Thoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 06:24 PM   #344
Tiberius
Commodore
 
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Spock's "Khan!"

The only time I;ve ever been embarrassed about being a Trekker.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 11:13 PM   #345
Nebusj
Rear Admiral
 
Nebusj's Avatar
 
View Nebusj's Twitter Profile
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
"When I was in my early twenties on a trip to East Africa, I saw a gazelle giving birth. It was truly amazing. Within minutes, the baby was standing up, standing up on its own. A few more minutes, and it was walking; and before I knew it, it was running alongside its mother, moving away with the herd. Humans aren't like that, Ambassador. We may come from the same planet as those gazelles, but we're pretty much helpless when we're born. It takes us months before we're able to crawl; almost a full year before we can walk. Our deep space mission isn't much different. We're going to stumble, make mistakes - I'm sure more than a few, before we find our footing. But we're going to learn from those mistakes. That's what being human is all about. I'm sorry you can't see that. "
Well, it's an entire speech, not a line. Why is it "bad"?
Well, first, in the episode where it appears, the Vulcans are trying to get Earth to recall Archer on the grounds that his operational recklessness set off the atmosphere on Tinder Box Planet, killing thousands, while Archer's got the proof that it was Suliban or whatever did it. So, what he should be emphasizing is, the thing the Vulcans are (rightly!) outraged by was the sabotage of people trying to get Archer's mission cancelled and not any inherent idiocy on Archer's part.

Second, the argument amounts to, ``you say we're not competent to do this job, and you're right, we're not, so we should keep doing it in the hopes that maybe someday we'll become competent''. There is a sensible argument to be made out of this --- that one can't be fully experienced without the experience --- but it's made in a muddled way that only works if the speaker is trying to appeal to sentiment, which indicates that Archer isn't aware of who his in-universe audience is.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.