Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 15 2013, 07:56 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: Is this the Enterprise theme that could have been?

Gaith wrote: View Post
"Wherever You Will Go" is a fine pop song and all, but who the heck would its "you" have referred to in the Trek sense? I don't believe this theory for a moment.
Well, TV show themes don't always have literal meaning in the show's context. I doubt that "Who Are You?" or "Baba O'Riley" was meant to be a song about forensic investigation.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 09:10 PM   #17
MacLeod
Admiral

Well "Who Are You?" asks a question, and in the case of CSI they sometimes have to answer questions like Who was murdered, who was the murderer. So it does kind of work.

But I suspect if ENT had been better scripted, had more rounded characters etc.. that we wouldn't see as many complaints about the theme song. When we are not being suitable enteratined we start to pick apart things about the show, from the major elemts such as characterisation, plot to the more minor elemtns such as theme song/tune.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 09:15 PM   #18
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, TV show themes don't always have literal meaning in the show's context. I doubt that "Who Are You?" or "Baba O'Riley" was meant to be a song about forensic investigation.
Granted, but you'll forgive my wanting a bit more coherence for Trek than yet another bleedin' cop show I care nothing about. (And besides, "Who are you?" definitely fits a cop show thematically, and the "Baba O'Riley" lyrics featured in the CSI:NY intro make the song sound like a warrior's mission statement, whereas the whole point of being a space explorer is to blaze a trail, not follow someone close to you.)
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 09:38 PM   #19
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The only problem I have with "Wherever You Will Go" as the Enterprise opening credits song is that it doesn't fit the style of the series.

If Enterprise were done in The WB style, like Smallville or Birds of Prey, then "Wherever You Will Go" would have fit. But as long as the series were written in the ponderous, retro-80s dramatic style that was the way Star Trek was written, "Wherever You Will Go" simply doesn't fit because it promises something the series can't deliver -- being modern and hip. The problem with the franchise a decade ago is that while production values had improved, the storytelling style was still mired in the 1980s. "Wherever You Will Go" would have been a mismatch with Enterprise.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 10:07 PM   #20
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Well, I'm a big fan of Enterprise and I had little problem with "Faith of the Heart" being the theme-- my only problem being the actual phrase "Faith of the Heart," which has zero content and sounds like something compiled by a committee based on the results of a random telephone survey-- but I also love the song "Wherever You Will Go." It has an uplifting feel that resonates with both a quest of exploration and the love story that wound its way through the storyline of the show.
Old September 15 2013, 10:32 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

Gaith wrote: View Post
Granted, but you'll forgive my wanting a bit more coherence for Trek ...
Let's see, how about...

"Beyond the rim of the starlight,
My love is wand'ring in starflight...."

Actually one reason the choice of "Faith of the Heart" works for me is that it's amazing how perfectly the lyrics fit the premise of the series, and Archer's attitude at the beginning. It fits so exactly that I was surprised when I first learned it wasn't written for the show.

Old September 15 2013, 10:56 PM   #22
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
Actually one reason the choice of "Faith of the Heart" works for me is that it's amazing how perfectly the lyrics fit the premise of the series, and Archer's attitude at the beginning. It fits so exactly that I was surprised when I first learned it wasn't written for the show.
Indeed. And, quite a long time before "Broken Bow" premiered, someone mentioned here that an earlier version of the song, by Rod Stewart, had been featured on the motion picture soundtrack of "Patch Adams" - and I was able to locate a copy on Amazon. When it arrived, I played that track over and over, to get myself prepared for ENT.

I've always enjoyed the song. A few years later, Russell Watson was invited to sing "Where My Heart Will Take Me" (Theme from Enterprise)" live at the opening of the grand finale of a football game Down Under. They had used the song extensively in promotions for that season of the sport; even though the same TV network was screening "Enterprise" at night, no connection was mentioned.

Diane Warren, the writer of "Faith of the Heart", ended up penning a song for the grand finalists' showdown of the second season of "Australian Idol". It had a very similar style and message, almost a sequel, and it was fun to collect another song in the same vein.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 03:10 AM   #23
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

Masiral wrote: View Post
I believe that "Archer's Theme" was intended to be the main theme for the show, but then the studio wanted a song instead of something insturmental?
Yep. And this is how it would have looked/sounded:

Old September 17 2013, 01:04 AM   #24
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I like "Archer's Theme", but that would have been boooooring.
Old September 18 2013, 02:22 AM   #25
Yanks
Fleet Captain

It took a long time for me to accept Enterprise's intro.

I'm fine with it now.

But, this is all they needed to do.

Last edited by Yanks; September 18 2013 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Figured out how to post a youtube vid :)
Yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 02:43 AM   #26
dub
Captain

I'll throw my edit of the open into this thread since it's topical:

dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2013, 02:54 AM   #27
Yanks
Fleet Captain

dub wrote: View Post

Very nice!

Old September 19 2013, 05:51 PM   #28
Masiral
Lieutenant Commander

dub wrote: View Post
I especially like the ending of that, with "Archer's Theme" morphing into the TOS theme.
Masiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 06:12 PM   #29
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I never had anything against the Faith of the Heart bit, but the staff would've taken a lot less crap if they went with Archer's Theme, which is a nice enough soundtrack on it's own.

It amazes me how much people harp on something as minor as the opening credits. That's almost as silly as saying, I hate the font the credits are in and will never watch this show again!
Old September 19 2013, 06:41 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer

What always surprised me were the people who objected to "Faith of the Heart" because they insisted, "A Star Trek theme needs to be an orchestral piece, not a pop song!" They didn't seem to realize that the TOS theme was very much written in the popular song style of the day, a pastiche of "Beyond the Blue Horizon" with a bossa nova rhythm inspired by "Begin the Beguine." Not to mention that the main melodic line was sung by a soprano in the second- and third-season arrangements. And of course Roddenberry wrote (bad) lyrics for it so he could get royalties from the sheet-music sales.