RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Posts: 5,429,218
Members: 24,817
Currently online: 415
Newest member: 118_Larson


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 9 2013, 08:46 PM   #1
cylkoth
Commodore
 
Terrific,G4 was gutted...for nothing!

NBC Universal Cable, which had plans to rebrand G4 after firing on air talent and network personnel, as the Esquire Network, has decided not to transform G4 but instead, one of it's other cable channels Style.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...network-624127

So G4-what's left of it, will remain as it is for the moment. We can delight in the constant American Ninja Warrior marathons for the forseeable future. Maybe they're resurrect TechTV!! [sarcasm]
__________________
Have spacesuit...will travel.
cylkoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 09:00 PM   #2
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: Terrific,G4 was gutted...for nothing!

Hardwick has BBC America in Talking Bad/dead.

I miss the old line ups.

Loved Attack of the Show.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 09:08 PM   #3
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Terrific,G4 was gutted...for nothing!

cylkoth wrote: View Post
NBC Universal Cable, which had plans to rebrand G4 after firing on air talent and network personnel, as the Esquire Network, has decided not to transform G4 but instead, one of it's other cable channels Style.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...network-624127

So G4-what's left of it, will remain as it is for the moment. We can delight in the constant American Ninja Warrior marathons for the forseeable future. Maybe they're resurrect TechTV!! [sarcasm]


As God as my witness, I told my wife when they failed to launch in June that G4 would never become the Esquire network.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:48 AM   #4
Pilot Ace
Captain
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Terrific,G4 was gutted...for nothing!

Ugh, I miss TechTV.

G4 was garbage from the first day.
Pilot Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 06:57 AM   #5
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral
 
Owain Taggart's Avatar
 
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Re: Terrific,G4 was gutted...for nothing!

Pilot Ace wrote: View Post
Ugh, I miss TechTV.

G4 was garbage from the first day.

Pretty much, although there was a redeeming feature in the Canadian version of the channel as we got a new version of Call for Help, and then a successor show. Other than that, I felt it was a pretty crass network that would do or say anything just to get attention. Guess now it's on life-support until the network decides what to do with it.

Spike in comparison seems more intelligent, at least with their game-centric programming. And last time I watched Spike, I was surprised to see Adam Sessler there during their E3 coverage. Had to do a double-take.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 06:17 PM   #6
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: Terrific,G4 was gutted...for nothing!

The G4 diaspora continues I see.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 11:49 PM   #7
jayceee
Commander
 
Re: Terrific,G4 was gutted...for nothing!

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Spike in comparison seems more intelligent, at least with their game-centric programming. And last time I watched Spike, I was surprised to see Adam Sessler there during their E3 coverage. Had to do a double-take.
Spike seemed to turn into junk too over the years.

It seems like most of their shows these days is stuff like: various tattoo shows, bar rescue, COPS, etc ...
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral
 
Owain Taggart's Avatar
 
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Re: Terrific,G4 was gutted...for nothing!

jayceee wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Spike in comparison seems more intelligent, at least with their game-centric programming. And last time I watched Spike, I was surprised to see Adam Sessler there during their E3 coverage. Had to do a double-take.
Spike seemed to turn into junk too over the years.

It seems like most of their shows these days is stuff like: various tattoo shows, bar rescue, COPS, etc ...

As I said, the gaming content. If you compare for example G4's E3 broadcasts done over the years with Spike's E3 broadcasts, Spike's GameTrailers content is much more mature and more or less about the facts as they come in, and also in the way they conduct interviews. G4's broadcasts on the other hand has always seemed like they were all about making noise, being loud and obnoxious and talking down to its viewers, and trying to get all the attention on them rather than the content. It always seemed like "Hey man, I'm so badass! I'm so "kewl", right? Yeah, screw the content!"


As for Spike's other content, I agree with you. I could do without it. The ironic thing is, TechTV began life as ZDTV, a trademark that CBS now own which also own Spike. A lot of on-air talent has migrated over to Spike, and if CBS wanted to, they could revive the ZDTV brand with a new TV show aired on Spike.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.