RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,712
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 917
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old September 13 2013, 06:31 AM   #16
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Questions about ''Blink Of An Eye''

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post

But this is Star Trek, and the premise of Star Trek is that the future is better than the past. So why would you bring it up in a Voyager thread?

Given this thread is discussing an episode that covers the whole evolution of an entire race, comparisons to our own are bound to come up. It is the one common reference why can discuss intelligently.
Old September 13 2013, 09:41 AM   #17
Stoo
Captain

Sran wrote: View Post
The problem is that Voyager itself was causing the instability in the planet's crust. Waiting around just to see how the planet progressed may have caused destruction and wiped out a significant portion of the population.
Voyager could have just shifted to a different orbit, further from the planet.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 12:31 PM   #18
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

I don't have a problem with the planet advancing that much in several hundred years. They seemed pretty 1500s pretty early in the episode. What I have a problem with is that, after Jin said "We're not ready to join the rest of the galaxy yet", a few seconds after ships didn't emerge and say "Okay, we're ready!"
This may be one of those "barely legible screen canon" issues (which is to say, how much stock can be put in decision made by the art department), but the settlement at the beginning of the episode betrays that the state of civilization is more advanced than the script suggests. It's an alpine settlement that already has its own monumental architecture (the large hall). Not only does it suggest that they are not hunters-gatherers (they have permanent structures), but there exists extensive trade and agriculture elsewhere that is not being depicted. Such settlements become possible around 2500 years ago, becoming more prevalent about 1500 years ago. So the pace of development isn't being accelerated as much as the episode might otherwise portray. It's not the 12000 years of agricultural development or the 6000 years of urbanization.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 02:10 PM   #19
KaraBear
Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
jazzstick wrote: View Post
KaraBear wrote: View Post
yes I think the ultimate fate of a technologically advanced race is to blow it up. At some point they will go to war and bomb the crap out of each other

Well that's glum!

Why do you think this way?
It's not inconceivable at all. All it takes is one idiot with a few weapons of mass destruction to set off a huge war. Looking at our own world, we came perilously close a few times during the Cold War and despite that being over I hardly think we're out of the woods yet.

Can you say without certainty that some hot head idiot becoming to power in North Korea, Iran, China, Russia, India, Pakistan, Britain, France or even Israel or the United States couldn't start a huge war? Heck I don't even think the current set of leaders we have in power now are above such stupidity given the right circumstances to say nothing of the future.
yeah, this is pretty much what I was thinking,
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 08:13 PM   #20
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Something Star Trek tends to do is measure technological process by years. This carries the implication that the amount of time something takes on Earth is the exact amount of time the same amount of technological development will always take.

Look at all the hyper-accelerated development we've had in the past few decades, after millennia of far slower paced technological development. That kind of spike only needs two ingredients: The ability to finely control electricity and the economic infrastructure to develop it. That doesn't have to happen at a specific number of centuries after other pre-electric milestones.

I don't think it's impossible that we will have a massive nuclear war, but I do think that the odds are lower than you say. Most evil people would rather control everybody than kill everybody.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 07:00 PM   #21
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Kemotx wrote: View Post
2. How they changed from a tribal to early 20 century civilization in such a short time?
There are still small pockets of tribal societies today, a millenia ago large portion of Earth were basically tribal. The tribal society we saw at the beginning of the episode may not have been typical of the entire planet, a medieval Europe equivalent culture could have exist on the next continent.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 07:42 PM   #22
publiusr
Commodore

Maybe if Voyager had stuck around a week longer, they would have ascended and brought them home. I loked the N-1 type spaceships.

Perfect place for an escaped con to go.

Where did our suspect go?

He landed here, and died recently of a ripe old age.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 04:11 PM   #23
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

Look at all the hyper-accelerated development we've had in the past few decades, after millennia of far slower paced technological development. That kind of spike only needs two ingredients: The ability to finely control electricity and the economic infrastructure to develop it. That doesn't have to happen at a specific number of centuries after other pre-electric milestones.

I don't think it's impossible that we will have a massive nuclear war, but I do think that the odds are lower than you say. Most evil people would rather control everybody than kill everybody.
True. I think running out of resources is a far greater threat than full scale nuclear war.

The accelerated development spike you mention was possible because we finally figured out how to use the large quantities of fossil fuels available to power factories, cars and planes.

Once it's all used up, who knows what will happen. Nuclear war to control the last coal deposits? Maybe, maybe not. Oh wait, I'm on a Star Trek forum. The future is bright, the future is bright....
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 08:22 PM   #24
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Isolinear wrote: View Post
Once it's all used up, who knows what will happen. Nuclear war to control the last coal deposits?
We're still using fossil fuels because it's cheaper to employ them as a power source and for transportation than the alternatives. When fossil fuels actually begin to run out, the cost of using them will go up, when that cost exceeds the alternatives we will switch over.

As far as coal is concerned, there is a shit load of coal in existence that is currently not being extracted owing to the high cost of simply getting at it, but it is there. Total coal reserves for America are estimated to be as high as three trillion metric tonnes, but over half of that is in north-western Alaska, very hard to get at.

Old September 16 2013, 01:09 PM   #25
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

T'Girl wrote: View Post
We're still using fossil fuels because it's cheaper to employ them as a power source and for transportation than the alternatives. When fossil fuels actually begin to run out, the cost of using them will go up, when that cost exceeds the alternatives we will switch over.
You think that is not going to be a problem? Things getting ridiculously expensive? If we don't come up with something else soon, there will be no affordable alternative available.
And switch over? To what? Every alternative "fuel" right now (electricity, hydrogen) has to be produced with fossil fuels and that's no solution.

Dr. Doom and Gloom, Out.
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 06:35 PM   #26
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Isolinear wrote: View Post
Every alternative "fuel" right now (electricity, hydrogen) has to be produced with fossil fuels and that's no solution.
Washington State (where I live) get 75% of it's electrical power from Hydro-electric dams, my city of Seattle get 88% from hydro.

France get (iirc) 80% of her electricity from nuclear.

In the year 2011, Brazil produced over 20 billion liters of ethanol from sugar and other bio sources.