New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 15 2013, 12:22 AM   #16
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Alexandra Luthor? Lex female in movie

I remember her from All Star Superman. I didn't know she actually existed outside of the All Star Superman comic/DVD movie, but I suppose I should have.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 12:28 AM   #17
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
So, you really think they'll write a female Lex Luthor in a mainstream movie or TV show?
Maybe. Someday. Don't write anything off.

Remember, there's been more than one flirtation with the idea of a Gemma/Jamie Bond. And at this point, I think it's only a matter of when than if. And if James Bond isn't immune to a gender flip, then no one is.
Old September 15 2013, 12:54 AM   #18
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I remember once Mxyptlk switched the genders of every character in a story (except himself - that's what gave it away) which gave rise to Leslie Luthor.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 01:47 AM   #19
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I remember her from All Star Superman. I didn't know she actually existed outside of the All Star Superman comic/DVD movie, but I suppose I should have.
According to the Superman Encyclopedia (which was conveniently close at hand), she first appeared in Adventure Comics #401, January 1971.
Old September 15 2013, 07:20 AM   #20
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Funny that no one asked for links. I got some great land on Krypton to sell if anyone is interested.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 02:44 PM   #21
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
So, you really think they'll write a female Lex Luthor in a mainstream movie or TV show?
Maybe. Someday. Don't write anything off.

Remember, there's been more than one flirtation with the idea of a Gemma/Jamie Bond. And at this point, I think it's only a matter of when than if. And if James Bond isn't immune to a gender flip, then no one is.
Surely the correct way of looking at it is that there has been idle talk in the tabloids etc of a female Bond for nearly 30 years and its never happened! That's a long way from saying that it will happen, much less than it will happen for an entirely different franchise and character.
Old September 15 2013, 03:20 PM   #22
Dream
Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Surely the correct way of looking at it is that there has been idle talk in the tabloids etc of a female Bond for nearly 30 years and its never happened! That's a long way from saying that it will happen, much less than it will happen for an entirely different franchise and character.
The people that want Bond to be female fail to understand the point the character. The Bond movies are wish fulfillment fantasies for the male audience, so making the character female defeats the purpose.

If female Bond sleeps with every guy she meets, I see much of the audience being put off the character. A women sleeping with a dozen guys is not as cool as a man sleeping with a dozen women.

Very glad Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and Iron Man have the word MAN in their titles. We don't with have to deal with this gender changing nonsense with them.
Old September 15 2013, 03:29 PM   #23
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I would have no problem if someone invented a female character who kicked ass like Bond and slept around like he did. I just don't want them calling her Jane Bond or Jamie Bond. Why change an iconic character's gender for the sake of it?

For as long as I remember, there've been occasional silly season stories that Sharon Stone, Catherine Zeta-Jones or whoever will be starring as a female James Bond in the next 007 movie. I don't see it ever happening, much less beig inevitable.
Old September 16 2013, 12:43 AM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Gender is inherent in the character of Bond, I think. It's one of the few essentials. Bond must be a British male who is a secret agent and who sleeps with pretty much every woman he meets. Anything else is up for grabs. (Race, for example. A black Bond would not violate a stitch of canon that I'm aware of, and don't even try to tell me that Chiwetel Ejiofor wouldn't own the role.)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 01:26 AM   #25
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Dick Whitman wrote: View Post
Funny that no one asked for links. I got some great land on Krypton to sell if anyone is interested.
Most posters dismissed the idea without comment and drifted off into other topics.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote