Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 13 2013, 08:24 AM   #31
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: JK Rowling to revisit Harry Potter-verse for new movie series

Reverend wrote: View Post
Although the cynic in me wants to say "Oh dear, already? Did she blow all her money in Vegas or something?"
Given that she's the first British billionaire to lose her billionaire status by charitable giving that's a little too cynical in my opinon.
Old September 13 2013, 02:03 PM   #32
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
This won't be an actual adaptation of the fictional book any more than Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was.
Or that Mean Girls was for the self-help book Queen Bees and Wannabes.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 04:52 PM   #33
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Gotta milk that Potter cow until it lactates blood.
Does the determining factor of whether an artist gets to do more with their own work depend on how much money they have made from it? If she created a universe she loves and wants to explore it further what's the big deal? Yes, she has money now. Does that mean she has to turn of her creativity?

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
I'll be interested to see how a story written directly for the screen will differ from the adapted stories, since Rowling's expansive, detail-heavy novels often posed challenges to fit into a movie.
I was thinking the same thing.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 05:17 PM   #34
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Terry Pratchett has done 30 or more Discworld novels, spin off books, games, interactive stuff, TV shows, etc. Yet seems to be universally loved. Is that not milking it?
Old September 13 2013, 06:09 PM   #35
tighr
Commodore

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
I think this could be a fun fantasy film. Plus, Rowling said it starts in NYC so we'll get to see Wizarding America in the Jazz Age 20s.
Not only Wizarding America (something I'm actually interested in seeing on film) but also the prospect of seeing competent adults using JK Rowling's imaginative spells.

One of the downsides for me of the Harry Potter books/films was they were full of amatuer wizards and witches, some of whom may not have been using the best spells/hexes for a certain task, or casting them 100% effectively (in Rowling's universe, there is a certain finesse to casting a spell which impacts the quality of the result... not all wizards displayed competence).
Old September 13 2013, 06:36 PM   #36
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I've had enough of grown men waving silly little sticks and shouting Pig Latin for a long time, thanks; if that aspect of the verse is highly downplayed, I might give this a shot sometime...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 08:19 PM   #37
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Yeah, I can't really see a movie being made out of an encyclopedia..
nor a theme-park ride?
It just shares the title. This won't be an actual adaptation of the fictional book any more than Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was.

Exactly. That was part of my point. Any story she does would have to be completely written from the ground up since the book it's based on doesn't have any story. It's just reference material. Could be fun though, seeing the world from a different perspective. Maybe we'll finally get to see some of the things that have only been mentioned. One thing I'd like to see expanded on would be the house-elves. In the books, there's a lot more detail and history to them that the movies just barely touch upon.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 09:49 PM   #38
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

The house-elf liberation business was embarrassingly underdeveloped even in the books. I can understand the entire wizarding world turning a blind eye to house-elf slavery, and I can see Hermione being the first one to see what's really going on, and sending out a wakeup call. But as it was, she spent the entire series preaching about it and couldn't convince anyone. Not even Harry. Not even most of the house-elves themselves, considering how they all looked down on Dobby. (Ron may be an exception, but his change was so last-minute that he may have just been trying to support or impress Hermione. Anyway, he's just one person.)

I can even see that working if it becomes a subplot or plot point. I kept waiting for a revelation that house-elves go insane unless they're bound to someone by contract, or they were working off a 400-year racial debt for trying to take over the world. Or something. As it was, they were a truly oppressed race, and Hermione had a righteous cause ... and no one cared enough to give it real attention. Even the author.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 10:26 PM   #39
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Could be good.

I'm not the biggest fan of the films, but that's mostly due to how much was (understandably) left out. Something original has potential.

But what will they call it?
Old September 13 2013, 10:52 PM   #40
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Terry Pratchett has done 30 or more Discworld novels, spin off books, games, interactive stuff, TV shows, etc. Yet seems to be universally loved. Is that not milking it?
Yes but Terry Pratchett is a much better writer than Rowling.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 12:29 AM   #41
JD
Admiral

The fact that this is coming from Rowling herself has me really excited. I love the HP Universe, and I'm very curious to see something a new story directly from Rowling that's unconnected to the HP saga set in the universe.
I would be a lot more cautious if it were being done without her involvement.
Old September 14 2013, 04:04 AM   #42
Snaploud
Admiral

I hope Warner Brothers is contractually-obligated not to make any script changes without her approval. Otherwise, it's a bit risky not to publish a book version first.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 07:13 AM   #43
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Yes but Terry Pratchett is a much better writer than Rowling.
I guess that depends on your own taste. Besides Harry Potter and most of Terry Pratchett's books are aimed at different audiences.
Old September 15 2013, 12:41 AM   #44
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Although the cynic in me wants to say "Oh dear, already? Did she blow all her money in Vegas or something?"
Given that she's the first British billionaire to lose her billionaire status by charitable giving that's a little too cynical in my opinon.
Cynical and ignorant. I can be very efficient like that.
Seriously though, I think the source of my cynicism may have been that this is a direct to film project, not a new series of books, which to me usually spells "cash-in".

Also, I feel I need to stress that the bit you quotes was only a gut reaction--the rest of the post more was actually much more positive. Not to harp on but I feel I'm being quoted a bit out of context.

Apples and oranges. Discworld is a world ("and mirror of worlds") while the Harry Potter books were centred on the "heroes journey" of one character. Since the world itself essentially revolved around him, it's still questionable (though by no means impossible) that it can find a life of it's own. By design, Discworld never had that problem.

Also, I tend to agree the Pratchett's writing ability is objectivity better. However, to be fair he's had *way* more practice and the quality has improved dramatically since the first three or four books. Which brings me to my next point: it's only "milking it" if the overall quality of the IP is compromised.

As a side note, I do recall reading something about Rowling being less than complimentary of her peers, and Pratchett being less than impressed with her. I think it had to do with her having a generally low opinion of fantasy literature in general, but I may be misremembering.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 04:00 AM   #45
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Gotta milk that Potter cow until it lactates blood.
... said someone on a Star Trek message board.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote