Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 5 2013, 12:23 AM   #31
Christopher
Writer

Re: Post TMP 5 Year Mission

^Oh, I didn't mean to say you should skip them. They're still worth reading, especially the Duane books. Just don't expect all the books to fit together, is all. If you want to read in sequence, maybe do one read-through of the '80s-continuity books in the period followed by a read-through of the modern-continuity books. Although there are some books that could go either way.

Titan and I seem to have gone in divergent directions over the past few years.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 04:21 PM   #32
jpv2000
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Oh, I didn't mean to say you should skip them. They're still worth reading, especially the Duane books. Just don't expect all the books to fit together, is all. If you want to read in sequence, maybe do one read-through of the '80s-continuity books in the period followed by a read-through of the modern-continuity books. Although there are some books that could go either way.
I may get them later, but I still remember them fairly well from when I first read them. I was reading some of the reviews and the little excerpt on Amazon for your Ex Machina and it looks fantastic so I believe I will start with that.

Titan and I seem to have gone in divergent directions over the past few years.
Really sad to hear that.

Your two Titan books are my favorites of the entire series.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 10:51 PM   #33
Jsplinis
Lieutenant

I am preparing for my read through and was already thinking along the lines of splitting it into two read throughs if they would be individually more consistent in style etc.

If one were to do an 80's read through and another for the modern style, which books would you say are better suited for which category. (And which could be both for that matter?)

Thank and have fun,
jsplinis
Jsplinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 12:03 AM   #34
Christopher
Writer

Well, my list of the books that fit in the '80s continuity is here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...9&postcount=74

The modern continuity is basically anything after 2000, not counting the new Rihannsu books. As for books from the '90s, that's more of a judgment call, although I do count The Covenant of the Crown, The Better Man, and The Kobayashi Maru in the modern continuity (and reference TKM in Ex Machina).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 12:10 AM   #35
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Jsplinis wrote: View Post
I am preparing for my read through and was already thinking along the lines of splitting it into two read throughs if they would be individually more consistent in style etc.

If one were to do an 80's read through and another for the modern style, which books would you say are better suited for which category. (And which could be both for that matter?)

Thank and have fun,
jsplinis
Here's my take on the two different eras of continuity:

http://startreklitverse.yolasite.com...nal-series.php

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 12:40 AM   #36
Jsplinis
Lieutenant

ryan123450 wrote: View Post

I love your website but I'm not sure that I totally understand the color codes of the TOS section. Mainly the white color. What does this stand for? Does it denote a crossover between the 2 trek-lit universes: original and modern?

Also, the list might be a little easier to understand for TOS if the Original trek-lit stories had their own page, so you wouldn't have two overlapping "continuities" in the same "chronology" Just a suggestion.

One more question, why would Rihannsu be "light blue"? Aren't they effectively replaced and slightly contradicted by the Vulcan's Noun series? Otherwise shouldn't Pandora's Principle be "light blue" as well?
Jsplinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 01:00 AM   #37
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Jsplinis wrote: View Post
ryan123450 wrote: View Post

I love your website but I'm not sure that I totally understand the color codes of the TOS section. Mainly the white color. What does this stand for? Does it denote a crossover between the 2 trek-lit universes: original and modern?
On all my lists the white denotes nothing. It's for the entries that are referenced in one way or another by other stories, but aren't very important or very well tied to the Lit-verse continuity. The entries that apply to both the old and new Lit-verses have both blue and green colors.

Also, the list might be a little easier to understand for TOS if the Original trek-lit stories had their own page, so you wouldn't have two overlapping "continuities" in the same "chronology" Just a suggestion.
I've thought of doing that as well. I may do it eventually, but there are some other things I want to get done first, and I have such limited time to work on it. Plus keep in mind that the two continuities aren't totally separate. There is some overlap of stories and references between the two.

One more question, why would Rihannsu be "light blue"? Aren't they effectively replaced and slightly contradicted by the Vulcan's Noun series? Otherwise shouldn't Pandora's Principle be "light blue" as well?
I do need to add "light blue" on The Pandora's Principle. Thanks for pointing that out. As far as I feel, the events of the Rihannsu books and The Pandora Principle did take place in the Lit-verse in some basic form, though you have to gloss over the "continuity errors."

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote