Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 14 2013, 05:34 AM   #76
sojourner
Admiral

Re: FLASH series being developed for The CW

Looks more like Bart than Barry.
Old September 14 2013, 05:53 PM   #77
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

No kidding. I haven't seen him I anything but he does not have the look I pictured for the Flash. After watching Under The Dome I sort of thought the guy playing Barbie could make a pretty decent Barry Allen.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 07:54 PM   #78
Christopher
Writer

"Not what I pictured" doesn't matter. Nobody pictured Hugh Jackman for Wolverine or Heath Ledger for the Joker or Idris Elba for Heimdall. All that matters is how he plays the character.

For that matter, the last TV Flash we had, John Wesley Shipp, didn't look much like Barry Allen either.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 08:17 PM   #79
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Well, John Wesley Shipp's Flash wasn't very good, so thats probably not a good example (to be fair, it might have been the writers fault more than the actor, but from what I've seen The Flash tv show was not very good). I'm not going to comment on Ledger, but when it comes to Jackman I think even if I'd never seen him before and they announced him as Wolverine, I'd think it was a good choice.

This Flash is going to need to be a good actor to be a believeable Flash. Plus he's probably too young to be a forensic scientist, and definately looks too young, but they might not even go that route, and if they do its something I can ignore if its written well enough.

Of the live action versions of the Flash I know about (Rod Haase in the Legends of the Superheroes special, John Wesley Shipp in the TV show, Kenny Johnston in the Justice League TV movie/pilot, and Kyle Gallner as Bart Allen in Smallville) only Smallville's Flash was anything above average (although I think we can give the Legends of the Superheroes guy a pass, it was just a small roll on a 70's tv special). The TV show one might have been ok with better writing, and the JLA TV movie one was just bad (but everyone was bad in that TV movie, it wasn't just him). Hopefully this new guy can be the first really good Barry Allen. Even with his current acting record and look I don't think a judgement can be made until we actually see him in action. I'm hoping for the best.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 08:19 PM   #80
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Along has he can do the funnies, I don't much care what he looks like.
Old September 14 2013, 10:41 PM   #81
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Well, John Wesley Shipp's Flash wasn't very good, so thats probably not a good example (to be fair, it might have been the writers fault more than the actor, but from what I've seen The Flash tv show was not very good). I'm not going to comment on Ledger, but when it comes to Jackman I think even if I'd never seen him before and they announced him as Wolverine, I'd think it was a good choice.
Because in the comics Wolverine is a 6'2" good-looking Australian song and dance man.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 11:20 PM   #82
Christopher
Writer

Whether any one person thinks an actor is a good choice based on what they look like is still completely irrelevant, because they don't make TV for only one person. When they're casting an actor for a role, they don't go "Hmm, let's pick out one guy on the Internet and base our decision on what he thinks the character should look like." No -- they pick whoever they feel will be the best actor for the role in terms of talent, personality, reliability, chemistry with the rest of the cast, availability, affordability, and so forth. Appearance is certainly one consideration, but they'd be idiots to make it their overriding concern.

And really, why is anyone surprised that a new Arrow cast member doesn't resemble his comics counterpart? Katie Cassidy doesn't look a damn thing like the comics' Dinah Laurel Lance. Emily Bett Rickards bears no resemblance to the original Felicity Smoak. Manu Bennett doesn't resemble Slade Wilson aside from having a similar beard. Seth Gabel doesn't remotely resemble Count Vertigo. Michael Rowe doesn't look much like Floyd Lawton. Colton Haynes doesn't share Roy Harper's hair color. Even Stephen Amell bears only a mild resemblance to Oliver Queen. Really, to date, the only prominent characters I can think of who've looked much like their comics counterparts have been Moira, Huntress, and China White.

Old September 15 2013, 12:05 AM   #83
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

To me its not so much his looks as what he's done so far. I don't know if being on Glee translates well to being The Flash He doesn't have to look that much like the comics version, but he should look like someone you'd accept as a legitimate superhero, this guy looks like a pretty boy from various stupid tV shows (which pretty much is the kind of actor he seems to be). Barry is usually a more serious kind of superhero. This guy looks like he'll be defeated by Mirror master because he'll be too busy adjusting his hair in MM's mirrors

That said, he could be a surprise. Maybe they'll make him look more like an actual forensic scientist and he'll turn out to be a good actor. I hope thats the case, and I'm more than ready to give Arrow the benefit of the doubt. I just won't be super surprised if he fails at being a good Flash.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 12:50 AM   #84
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

What does an actual forensic scientist look like? I imagine they're as varied in looks as any other profession. Some might even be "pretty boys". For that matter, other than having blond hair, what does Barry Allen look like? Every artist will draw him differently. He doesn't have a specific chin, nose or ear type. Even his build will vary from artist to artist. In comics he's basically a decently built male with blond hair.

I've only seen this actor on Glee. He was good on that, but was playing a villain. He convinced me the character was a manipulative jerk who wasn't above cheating to win. Since I'd like to think he's not that way in real life I'll assume it was acting. Looks wise he reminds me of a young Kevin Bacon. Not traditional leading man looks, but attractive in an off beat way.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 01:01 AM   #85
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I haven't been watching Arrow, but don't these CW shows typically skew towards a very young demographic? Obviously they're going to cast him very young. They might call him Barry, but he'll probably be channeling some Wally.

I was horrified to hear that they'd cast Chris Evans as Captain America, and that turned out pretty awesome, so I'll give this guy a chance....

When does the new season start, anyway?
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 01:12 AM   #86
Christopher
Writer

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I haven't been watching Arrow, but don't these CW shows typically skew towards a very young demographic?
I wouldn't say very young. They're generally aimed at teens and young adults, but I'd say Arrow skews somewhat older than the typical CW show, since only a couple of its characters are supposed to be teenagers and most of them range from their upper 20s to around 50.

When does the new season start, anyway?
October 9.

Old September 15 2013, 02:03 AM   #87
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^When you're 43, that's very young.
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 02:14 AM   #88
Christopher
Writer

^I'm 45, and I don't consider it very young.

Old September 15 2013, 03:27 AM   #89
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Dont mind the actor at all but am reserving my angst for the costume they put him in. I just cant see the speed force version being used and being old school at 48 would love to see the old costume in the ring idea brought back. Wont happen but I would like it.
Icemizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 03:39 AM   #90
Christopher
Writer

None of this show's costumes have been direct copies of any comics costume, so it's likely they'll invent their own look for the Flash. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they give Barry a more sedate costume for his Arrow appearances, one that fits the tone of the show, and then have him "upgrade" to something fancier in the spinoff if that gets off the ground.