Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 14 2013, 11:47 PM   #16
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Re: STID's plot holes unrivaled?

bullethead wrote: View Post
Let me put it to you this way: Star Trek into Darkness makes certain biased people with an obvious axe to grind question why people are doing things and why don't they take obvious alternatives way more than most of the other Trek movies.
FTFY
Old September 14 2013, 11:48 PM   #17
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Mountie1988 wrote: View Post
Well, you guys have successfully pointed out all what is wrong with Into Darkness and therefore why it is the worst of all Star Trek movies.
Not really. You are giving too much importance and clout to a very few people.
Old September 14 2013, 11:48 PM   #18
Mountie1988
Lieutenant Junior Grade

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Dont forget the Reliant somehow going to the wrong planet at the start. If Ceti Alpha VI exploded, leaving only five planets in the system, how did they ever mistake the fifth planet for the sixth which doesn't even exist any more??
Right, haven't thought of that yet
Mountie1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 11:50 PM   #19
Ln X
Fleet Captain

Let me put it to you this way: Star Trek into Darkness makes you question why people are doing things and why don't they take obvious alternatives way more than most of the other Trek movies.
Amen brother! You know something is wrong if you can spot the flaws halfway into the movie, and they're like staring at you right in the face like some kind of flasher. When I watch movies I never go out of my way to look for plotholes. I just watch it and try to understand the movie's logic.

STID defies this in so many ways it is truly unbelievable. So the contender for the Star Trek movie with most plotholes must go to STID!

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 11:53 PM   #20
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Three cheers for confirmation bias!
Old September 14 2013, 11:54 PM   #21
Mountie1988
Lieutenant Junior Grade

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Mountie1988 wrote: View Post
Well, you guys have successfully pointed out all what is wrong with Into Darkness and therefore why it is the worst of all Star Trek movies.
Not really. You are giving too much importance and clout to a very few people.
Deliberately. There's no gain in denying the internet's subjugation by blockheads
Old September 14 2013, 11:55 PM   #22
Ln X
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
It is a massive plot-hole. MASSIVE. He spent the whole movie wanting to kill Kirk right up to beaming up Genesis and then just changed his mind? I call BULLSHIT.
Khan had a flash of wicked inspiration? I've seen that scene several times and you see the cogs in Khan's head whirring away. Ain't nothing wrong with that nor is a devastating plothole so bad it ruins your enjoyment of TWOK.

Old September 14 2013, 11:58 PM   #23
Ln X
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Three cheers for confirmation bias!
Three cheers also for Abram's apologists! Bless you laddies and lasses. Trek's going to the gutter and we're all cheering and singing its praises!

Old September 14 2013, 11:58 PM   #24
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Ln X wrote: View Post
Khan had a flash of wicked inspiration? I've seen that scene several times and you see the cogs in Khan's head whirring away. Ain't nothing wrong with that nor is a devastating plothole so bad it ruins your enjoyment of TWOK.
Nor are any of the plot holes in STiD.

Three cheers also for Abram's apologists! Bless you laddies and lasses. Trek's going to the gutter and we're all cheering and singing its praises!
Old September 15 2013, 12:00 AM   #25
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Let me put it to you this way: Star Trek into Darkness makes you question why people are doing things and why don't they take obvious alternatives way more than most of the other Trek movies.
No it really doesn't.
Let me put it to you this way: Star Trek into Darkness makes certain biased people with an obvious axe to grind question why people are doing things and why don't they take obvious alternatives way more than most of the other Trek movies.
FTFY
Look, I loved STXI even with it's flaws, but we're talking about a movie whose plot literally wouldn't happen if a) Admiral Marcus and Section 31 were competent enough to put a bomb in Khan's body or b) Khan simply beamed himself on to the Vengeance's bridge, killed everyone there, vented the ship's atmosphere, and taken it to Earth to get his vengeance.

These are horrifically obvious options that are being missed, not subtle points that require much analysis and thought to find.
Old September 15 2013, 12:04 AM   #26
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Look, I loved STXI even with it's flaws, but we're talking about a movie whose plot literally wouldn't happen if a) Admiral Marcus and Section 31 were competent enough to put a bomb in Khan's body or b) Khan simply beamed himself on to the Vengeance's bridge, killed everyone there, vented the ship's atmosphere, and taken it to Earth to get his vengeance.

These are horrifically obvious options that are being missed, not subtle points that require much analysis and thought to find.
And WOK was a movie that wouldn't have happened had Chekov of Terrell stopped for directions. Or, you know, counted to six and got stuck on five.
Old September 15 2013, 12:05 AM   #27
Mountie1988
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Amen brother! You know something is wrong if you can spot the flaws halfway into the movie, and they're like staring at you right in the face like some kind of flasher. When I watch movies I never go out of my way to look for plotholes. I just watch it and try to understand the movie's logic.

STID defies this in so many ways it is truly unbelievable. So the contender for the Star Trek movie with most plotholes must go to STID!
More than First Contact? The question is... might all these issues just arise because STID is the latest installment in a franchise that has always been abased by its own fans?
Old September 15 2013, 12:09 AM   #28
Ln X
Fleet Captain

Nor are any of the plot holes in STiD.
And that's my point. The plot holes in STID were not the main reason for dragging it down, it was some really shoddy characterization (plus dialogue) and that god-awful ending! STID undermined the NuTrek premise because it made it even more painfully obvious that Kirk should not be placed anywhere near starships.

You know I always thought Kirk being promoted from ensign to captain was kind of plausible because he's Kirk and all. But STID made it painfully obvious that Kirk is a juvenile hothead and Spock should have been made captain. These ain't TOS characters folks, they are not even TOS characters when they're younger. They're new characters from a different universe and you can not project the gravitas and familiarity of the TOS characters onto the NuTrek characters because the NuTrek characters are different people.

Maybe that's why Spock pulled a hulk and cried like a baby as Kirk was dying. But for NEW characters they are surprisingly hollow when you consider the now wasted potential of this the NuTrek premise.

Old September 15 2013, 12:09 AM   #29
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It is a massive plot-hole. MASSIVE. He spent the whole movie wanting to kill Kirk right up to beaming up Genesis and then just changed his mind? I call BULLSHIT.
You like it more so you make up excuses and forgive it's plotholes.
Old September 15 2013, 12:12 AM   #30
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

And WOK was a movie that wouldn't have happened had Chekov of Terrell stopped for directions. Or, you know, counted to six and got stuck on five.
Thank you!

I mean seriously are people really going to say that whatever plot holes are in STID are worse then an inability to count to f@#king six?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote