RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,568
Posts: 5,514,276
Members: 25,148
Currently online: 407
Newest member: Brian R.W.

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: On What Would You Like A New Trek Series Based?
A Starship 38 65.52%
A Fleet 7 12.07%
A Station 2 3.45%
A Colony 7 12.07%
Other (please specify) 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 5 2013, 03:30 AM   #46
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Maryland
Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

I would like the setting for a new series to either be on two starships or a starbase and a starship set in the late 2430's or early 2440's. I'm not sure if the starbase+starship idea would work without becoming too similar to DS9 or focusing almost solely on the starship. On a different, related matter, I would also probably not make any of the title ships of a series to be named Enterprise. I would rather to just have an Enterprise make an appearance or two and instead perhaps have a Defiant legacy ship both in name and class.
Ketrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 11:36 PM   #47
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bountifulboxesjeg's Avatar
 
Location: bbjeg
Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

I would like to see a fleet set in 25th century. The major arch of the story would be an Admiral on his heavy-battleship organizing the defenses of the federation's borders. Side stories include (but are not limited to); an exploratory vessel (a solo heavy-ship), seeking new life and new civilizations; a small fleet comprised of a Defiant-like destroyer, a Voyager-like advanced scout ship, and two cruisers (red shirt(s) for a two-parter down the road) and their missions would involve escorting or reinforcing; a small diplomatic/aid/disaster relief fleet comprised of a heavy ship (a galaxy class if it were up to me), a medical ship, a frigate, and a scout ship; and highly-advanced ship (maybe two or a Prometheus-like multi-spliting ship with a captain and his two commanders) dealing with internal affairs (starfleet intelligence maybe).

The first episode would be the Admiral addressing all the captains of their missions. Later in a two-parter/season finale the fleet gathers to prevent an invasion or something. The series would end around an assault on another faction that plans to bring an end to the federation (the Dominion, or the Borg, or some new one) and the fleet we follow is met with other Admirals and their fleets for an all out battle. Sprinkle a few guest star/special appearance ship/fleet episodes, space station episodes, and a colony we catch up with time to time and you have a galactic Star Trek series (and a financial nightmare).

Last edited by bountifulboxesjeg; September 7 2013 at 11:55 PM.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 03:08 AM   #48
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

bbjeg wrote: View Post

The first episode would be the Admiral addressing all the captains of their missions. Later in a two-parter/season finale the fleet gathers to prevent an invasion or something. The series would end around an assault on another faction that plans to bring an end to the federation (the Dominion, or the Borg, or some new one) and the fleet we follow is met with other Admirals and their fleets for an all out battle. Sprinkle a few guest star/special appearance ship/fleet episodes, space station episodes, and a colony we catch up with time to time and you have a galactic Star Trek series (and a financial nightmare).
This and what Pocket Books has done to the 24th century with Destiny and The Typhon Pact books is one of the biggest reason I never want to go back to the Prime timeline.

I'm tired of wars and people killing each other non-stop in Star Trek. I can get that every single day on the news.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 02:32 PM   #49
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bountifulboxesjeg's Avatar
 
Location: bbjeg
Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

BillJ wrote: View Post
bbjeg wrote: View Post

The first episode would be the Admiral addressing all the captains of their missions. Later in a two-parter/season finale the fleet gathers to prevent an invasion or something. The series would end around an assault on another faction that plans to bring an end to the federation (the Dominion, or the Borg, or some new one) and the fleet we follow is met with other Admirals and their fleets for an all out battle. Sprinkle a few guest star/special appearance ship/fleet episodes, space station episodes, and a colony we catch up with time to time and you have a galactic Star Trek series (and a financial nightmare).
This and what Pocket Books has done to the 24th century with Destiny and The Typhon Pact books is one of the biggest reason I never want to go back to the Prime timeline.

I'm tired of wars and people killing each other non-stop in Star Trek. I can get that every single day on the news.
I wasn't picturing non-stop wars, just for the cliffhangers. The exploratory vessel in my previous post would be your standard Trek format, only fighting when it needs to; while the disaster relief fleet would be the other side of that battle/war coin, who will teleport down and be forced to solve problems.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 03:08 PM   #50
OpenMaw
Commander
 
OpenMaw's Avatar
 
Location: Everett, Washington
Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

BillJ wrote: View Post

This and what Pocket Books has done to the 24th century with Destiny and The Typhon Pact books is one of the biggest reason I never want to go back to the Prime timeline.

I'm tired of wars and people killing each other non-stop in Star Trek. I can get that every single day on the news.
Indeed. I'd really love to see a universe filled with mystery and adventure again.
__________________
"Paradise protests too much." SFDebris
OpenMaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 06:09 PM   #51
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

For me it would need to be something special. TOS, TNG, VOY and Enterprise were basically the same concept.

DS9 stood out with the station, the storytelling style and the Dominion War arc.

Enterprise COULD have been something special had they done the ringship story. First season set on Earth, and then the ringship as a very NASA-style, low tech mission.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 09:33 PM   #52
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander
 
Isolinear's Avatar
 
Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

Setting: Far far future (post-Federation collapse)
Style: BSG (only with less dysfunctional people)
Pilot: Human colony re-invents spaceflight and finds a derelict Federation starship. (NCC-1701Z)
Mission: To explore the galaxy and find out what happened to the old Federation planets.

Possibilities:
- New Alien crewmembers as they visit nearby planets in early seasons.
- Bottle-shows could explore the mysteries of the ship.
- Far future, so no continuity problems.
- Occasional "great find of ancient relics" to pay homage to old series.
- As it becomes clear who the new "powers" are, DS9 style political episodes.
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 11:34 PM   #53
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

Sorry, but I stopped reading at "NCC-1701Z."
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 01:19 AM   #54
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Sorry, but I stopped reading at "NCC-1701Z."
I stopped at, Style: BSG.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 04:35 AM   #55
gazomg
Captain
 
gazomg's Avatar
 
Location: The Peoples Republic of Cork
Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

I would love to see something along the lines of say 3 ships, a galaxy class and 2 supports ships on a exploration voyage .

We had the gamma quadrant in DS9, , Delta in voyager , the alpha is more or less been covered so discover the beta quadrant.
go beyond on the far side of the klingon and romulan borders and start again.
__________________
my trek site

http://gazomg-trek-art.blogspot.ie/
gazomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 05:29 AM   #56
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

Amazing how stuck inside the box some people are.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 10:18 AM   #57
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

1. Something so new and surprising, I can't even begin to imagine what it might be.

Failing that...

2. Titan with Frakes, Sirtis and Russ. Just for the nostalgia and larfs.
__________________
"Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha"
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 10:30 AM   #58
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander
 
Isolinear's Avatar
 
Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

gazomg wrote: View Post
We had the gamma quadrant in DS9, , Delta in voyager , the alpha is more or less been covered so discover the beta quadrant.
go beyond on the far side of the klingon and romulan borders and start again.
Unexplored space is where the writers need it to be. Take a good look at this picture of the center of the galaxy and tell me there's no opportunity for good story telling anymore.

And BillJ, what's wrong with BSG? I think it fits very well somewhere between Berman Trek's 80's sitcom style with almost static camera's, and J.J's frantic over-the-top actionmovie lensflare sequences.
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 02:43 PM   #59
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

Isolinear wrote: View Post

And BillJ, what's wrong with BSG? I think it fits very well somewhere between Berman Trek's 80's sitcom style with almost static camera's, and J.J's frantic over-the-top actionmovie lensflare sequences.
I don't. There is nothing Trek-like in Moore's BSG.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 03:04 PM   #60
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander
 
Isolinear's Avatar
 
Re: What Setting Would You Like For The Next Series?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Isolinear wrote: View Post

And BillJ, what's wrong with BSG? I think it fits very well somewhere between Berman Trek's 80's sitcom style with almost static camera's, and J.J's frantic over-the-top actionmovie lensflare sequences.
I don't. There is nothing Trek-like in Moore's BSG.
Define Trek-like.

By the way, I was not talking about BSG's plot. I agree that BSG's dark, darker, darkest doesn't belong in Star Trek. I meant the better camerawork, faster paced stories and big overarching storylines. The style, not the substance.
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.