Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 12 2013, 11:22 PM   #136
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Spoilers in Books: A Discussion.

More to the point, I suppose, would be that I gave them what I thought was a pretty reasonable means of establishing how the board membership feels about the existing policy, and as of yet they seem uninterested in or unwilling to do anything with my suggestion.

It's hard for me to sympathize with people who take issue with a situation but neither follow a suggestion for improving it nor explain why they won't follow the suggestion.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 11:30 PM   #137
Sran
Fleet Captain

DonIago wrote: View Post
More to the point, I suppose, would be that I gave them what I thought was a pretty reasonable means of establishing how the board membership feels about the existing policy, and as of yet they seem uninterested in or unwilling to do anything with my suggestion.
A suggestion that I wholeheartedly agree with. As I said in my earlier post, I believe the mods of this forum are reasonable and will listen to any thoughtful suggestions made by its users. But the people in question have done nothing but whine because they were shot down when the issue was first brought up, and they've done nothing but attack other posters to justify their position.

DonIago wrote:
It's hard for me to sympathize with people who take issue with a situation but neither follow a suggestion for improving it nor explain why they won't follow the suggestion.
Another point that I agree with. I'd add that the people in question need to do a better job of explaining their perspective. Saying "you'll do this because I said so" over and over when you don't even have the authority to make such a proclamation is the work of an unstable mind.

--Sran
Old September 13 2013, 04:43 AM   #138
trampledamage
Clone

DonIago wrote: View Post
Alternately, perhaps if one wants to discuss a book without having to worry about being spoiled they should start a thread that explicitly requests that spoilers not be added. They may still happen inadvertently, but that's always going to be a risk.
Absolutely - if you want to discuss something but do not want spoilers, this is definitely the approach to take.

Another forum I read has a long running Game of Thrones thread, but because it is for the TV series it states in the thread title "No Book Spoilers". That could work just as well here. If you want to discuss a book in a series but don't want to risk spoilers of other books in that series (for example) just say so in your thread title.

People may make mistakes, but people here will try their best to honour no spoiler requests. If you think someone is posting spoilers deliberately then notify on the post - that's the quickest way to let me and the other mods know something's wrong.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 06:25 AM   #139
JD
Admiral

For anyone who doesn't know, the white & red triangle with the exclamation point is the notify button. If you click it it'll take you to a seperate PM-like page that will let you send a message directly to the mods.
Old September 14 2013, 07:20 PM   #140
Pavonis
Commodore

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Did you ever watch the Columbo movies? The suspense in those wasn't in finding out "whodunnit" - that's shown from the get-go. In those movies, the suspense is in following Columbo's investigation, trying to spot the one tiny detail - the one little mistake - the murderer makes that tells Columbo who he/she is. Who cares if the murderer is usually the special guest star? The suspense is in the story itself. I'd have been quite upset if someone had blabbed the solution to Columbo discovering that (in one episode) William Shatner did indeed kill the victim. We know that happened. What the audience wants to know is how Columbo figured it out.
No, I never liked Columbo. Where's the mystery when the crime is shown explicitly, but the "little details" aren't actually shown to the audience? There isn't even the possibility of Columbo not figuring it out. So then it's just a tedious story of how the famous detective caught yet another killer. Woo-f-ing-hoo. B-O-R-I-N-G!

...But secondly, it was a way of drawing the audience in further: "You have experienced this mystery, and now you know the answer. This makes you special, in that you know something the rest of the people don't. By knowing the answer from watching the play, you're a participant in the solution, and that's a wonderful thing. Please don't deprive others of this same special feeling."
Ugh. Keeping secrets doesn't make people special.

Also, as some have pointed out, books don't simultaneously appear in all bookstores at the same time. And not everyone has a Kindle or other e-reader. So it's entirely possible that a book can come out and it can take someone a lot longer than 6 months to actually get it, never mind read it.
So why would you spend time on a bulletin board reading about the books you've not been able to find, buy and read?

This is one reason why I rarely post in this forum. There are approximately 10 years' worth of ST novels I haven't read, and even though I have many of them now, there was a time when I couldn't even afford them second-hand nor could I get to a library to borrow them. So I'm hopelessly behind. And I do the responsible thing and stay out of threads where I know people are talking about these books.
What is "ten years' worth" of novels? Ten novels, or a thousand novels? How fast do you read? And do you really think catching up is realistic at this point?

Where the danger lies for me is if I'm reading a thread about a book I've already read, and a recent post from someone who's further along could say, "This reminds me of what happened in the novel that came out last month..." and then they proceed to give away plot points about something recent in a thread that's actually about something else. THAT is what I object to. It's inconsiderate.
What's inconsiderate is thinking that the rest of the posters must stop and consider you first before posting. What makes you think people like me want to post here if we have to walk on eggshells to avoid offending you?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 10:14 PM   #141
JWolf
Commodore

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Where the danger lies for me is if I'm reading a thread about a book I've already read, and a recent post from someone who's further along could say, "This reminds me of what happened in the novel that came out last month..." and then they proceed to give away plot points about something recent in a thread that's actually about something else. THAT is what I object to. It's inconsiderate.
What's inconsiderate is thinking that the rest of the posters must stop and consider you first before posting. What makes you think people like me want to post here if we have to walk on eggshells to avoid offending you?
It's not walking on eggshells to use a spoiler code, it's called being polite.
Old September 14 2013, 10:41 PM   #142
Pavonis
Commodore

Polite? I don't recall seeing spoiler code etiquette in the most recent Emily Post's guide.

Even if it's "polite" to spoiler code, what should be spoiler coded? Everyone has their idea of what constitutes "spoilers", though most of them are wrong. If I mention that the TARDIS was spotted in DTI: Watching the Clock, is that a spoiler to you? Because it's not plot relevant, and not even something most people would pick up on if they're not a fan of Doctor Who. If you think that's a spoiler, though, what's to be done by the rest of us who only considered it an easter egg and wanted to mention that we noticed it? Must it be spoiler coded?

If we have to be "polite" when it comes to spoiler coding, the person with the lowest threshold for spoiler material (i.e., the person with the widest definition of and the greatest aversion to spoilers) will set the bar for the entire board. Is that reasonable? Thousands of posters are registered here, and yet only one gets to set conditions for what should be spoiler coded?
Old September 14 2013, 10:46 PM   #143
JeBuS
Lieutenant Commander

the TARDIS was spotted in DTI: Watching the Clock
My apologies to Halliwell
Son of a bitch. That's the worst spoiler to know. Now the book is ruined!
JeBuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 11:11 PM   #144
Sran
Fleet Captain

JWolf wrote: View Post
It's not walking on eggshells to use a spoiler code, it's called being polite.
It is walking on eggshells if someone forgetting to do it means we're subjected to more of your ranting.

--Sran
Old September 14 2013, 11:47 PM   #145
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

JeBuS wrote: View Post
the TARDIS was spotted in DTI: Watching the Clock
My apologies to Halliwell
Son of a bitch. That's the worst spoiler to know. Now the book is ruined!
No need to apologize.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 03:08 AM   #146
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Sran wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote:
It wasn't the spoiling of books, it was the attitude of "Disagree with the decision BEFORE it's made, and forever after, shut up" that was being compared to slavery.
I should explain my point in saying that. I don't have a problem with debate and discussion about a particular topic. But I think it's inappropriate to constantly question the decisions of other people when they have shown themselves to be thoughtful and considerate. I used to be a member of a forum whose moderators were quick to stamp out any dissent by issuing warnings, bans, and numerous "my way or the highway" speeches that alienated several longtime posters, myself included.

I've not found the mod staff at this site to be that way. Every action I've seen them take has been carefully considered before being undertaken. This includes their decision about the rule of six-months for mandatory spoiler tags when discussing novels. It's perfectly acceptable to question the wisdom of a decision before it's made. But once the decision has been reached and implemented, it is the responsibility of everyone to stand the behind the decision and support it.

If people believe that a decision has been improperly or without consideration for all factors involved, the best approach would be for these individuals to present the moderators with new information that may facilitate new discussions and the implementation of a new policy. My problem with the way this situation has been handled is that the moderators have made a decision that- at face value- seems to be fair. But those opposed to the decision have insisted on repeating the same rhetoric they were using before the decision was made instead of presenting the moderators with information illustrating why the six-month rule doesn't work (as suggested by another poster).
Simmer down, 'k? I'm not "constantly questioning" the mods' decisions on this forum. I think some of the rules here are ridiculous (as in you can use every swear word in existence, but you get infracted for calling someone a jerk who was, in fact, being a jerk), but instead of throwing a public tantrum about it, I told the moderator what I thought of the rule.

What you're not getting from my posts here is this: How can a poster question a decision BEFORE it's made? If you don't know a decision has been made, how can you question it before it was made? Unless you know a decision is coming and what it will be, you cannot question it before - you can only question it after. To expect otherwise, you are assuming we all must be telepathic, have ESP, or access to a time machine.

JWolf wrote:
Have consideration and forget any such "it's OK after six month to ruin books for others rule". Is anyone going to follow this rule or are you going to use spoiler codes because it's the right thing to do?
It's not your place to tell other people what's right or wrong where this forum is concerned. You're not a moderator and are no more important than any other poster here.

... Who are you to tell other people how to behave when you've no authority to do so?
You keep ranting at people that the moderators make the rules, so the rest of us must stop having the audacity to question the moderators' decisions, even if we didn't know they'd made the decision in the first place.

Well, guess what: YOU are not a moderator, either. YOU do not have the authority to tell the rest of us when we may and may not question the moderators. YOU are assuming the unearned mantle of mod-hood and telling people how to behave when you don't have that authority.

Hypocrisy, much?

Did you ever watch the Columbo movies? The suspense in those wasn't in finding out "whodunnit" - that's shown from the get-go. In those movies, the suspense is in following Columbo's investigation, trying to spot the one tiny detail - the one little mistake - the murderer makes that tells Columbo who he/she is. Who cares if the murderer is usually the special guest star? The suspense is in the story itself. I'd have been quite upset if someone had blabbed the solution to Columbo discovering that (in one episode) William Shatner did indeed kill the victim. We know that happened. What the audience wants to know is how Columbo figured it out.
No, I never liked Columbo. Where's the mystery when the crime is shown explicitly, but the "little details" aren't actually shown to the audience? There isn't even the possibility of Columbo not figuring it out. So then it's just a tedious story of how the famous detective caught yet another killer. Woo-f-ing-hoo. B-O-R-I-N-G!
That's the thing - the audience does see the little details. But they're so subtle, the audience usually misses them at the time. Part of the fun of a Columbo movie is in being vigilant enough to try to notice everything. If that bores you, then obviously you're not the sort of person who would enjoy a murder mystery that is different from standard fare. I bet you didn't like the Clue movie, either (based on the board game, and had multiple endings).

Pavonis wrote:
Timewalker wrote:
...But secondly, it was a way of drawing the audience in further: "You have experienced this mystery, and now you know the answer. This makes you special, in that you know something the rest of the people don't. By knowing the answer from watching the play, you're a participant in the solution, and that's a wonderful thing. Please don't deprive others of this same special feeling."
Ugh. Keeping secrets doesn't make people special.
I'd also bet you don't enjoy live theatre. It's a "wink, nudge" between the playwright, the actors, and the audience. They've all shared a common experience that's fun. All that's being asked is that the audience not spoil the experience for the next batch of people who don't know what to expect.

Pavonis wrote:
So why would you spend time on a bulletin board reading about the books you've not been able to find, buy and read?
I don't read about them, at least not on purpose. But if I'm reading a thread about a book I have read, I don't want to find spoilers in there about books that aren't part of that thread.

Pavonis wrote:
Timewalker wrote:
This is one reason why I rarely post in this forum. There are approximately 10 years' worth of ST novels I haven't read, and even though I have many of them now, there was a time when I couldn't even afford them second-hand nor could I get to a library to borrow them. So I'm hopelessly behind. And I do the responsible thing and stay out of threads where I know people are talking about these books.
What is "ten years' worth" of novels? Ten novels, or a thousand novels? How fast do you read? And do you really think catching up is realistic at this point?
Approximately 10 years' worth of Star Trek novels released during that time. I actually own several thousand books, in lots of different genres, both fiction and nonfiction. I've been collecting for decades. I haven't read all of them, but am steadily working my way through them. Depending on my mood and available time, I can read a moderate-sized novel in a day and a half - if it's straightforward and doesn't require much thinking. If it's a longer novel or more complex, it'll take longer.

At the moment I'm into Silverberg, Roman historical novels, am reading some time travel short stories on my Kindle, and depending on how one of the arguments goes on another forum, I might be re-reading Tacitus. I've got one of Greg Cox's non-Star Trek novels on the way from Amazon, and will be jumping right into it when it arrives. So I'm not in a Star Trek mood at this time, not even the numerous excellent fanfic series I've been following.

I do intend to catch up at some point - after all, winter is coming up, and during a cold snap on the Canadian Prairies, sometimes there's nothing to do but curl up in bed with the cats and a book.

Sran wrote:
Timewalker wrote:
Jesus. Effing. Christ. It's people like you who make me want to avoid this forum even if I did manage to catch up and read every single Star Trek novel ever written. It's your attitude that offends me.

Stop treating me like I'm one of the other people you're screaming at. All I've said is:

1. I rarely come here.

2. I prefer to post in threads about books I've already read, and get upset if those threads include spoilers about books I have not read (ie. books that aren't the topic of the thread).

3. For various reasons both financial and location-wise (I don't live in a major city and it takes stuff longer to get to the stores here, especially since we've only got 2 new-book stores, they carry only a fraction of the stock they used to, and the 2nd-hand bookstores aren't taking ST books), it's not easy to get new ST books AND read them within the 6-month time limit imposed here.

4. I've said that I think 12 months is fairer, since we're not all rich, we don't all own Kindles, we don't all have access to libraries that have the latest ST books in right away, we don't all have access to bookstores that carry more than a half-dozen ST books at any one time (since they do more business online now, they figure what's the point in having the physical book in the physical store), or if they do carry them it still takes longer to get the books in to the smaller centres.

5. Because the 12-month suggestion isn't on the poll, I couldn't vote. Will this ruin my day? No. It's just how the issue is for me.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 03:58 AM   #147
Pavonis
Commodore

Why should the limit be 12 months rather than 6? Why not 2 years, or 5 years?

As I've repeatedly said, the only truly "fair" thing to do is to spoiler code everything, which I think is ridiculous.
Old September 15 2013, 04:01 AM   #148
Sran
Fleet Captain

Simmer down, 'k? I'm not "constantly questioning" the mods' decisions on this forum. I think some of the rules here are ridiculous (as in you can use every swear word in existence, but you get infracted for calling someone a jerk who was, in fact, being a jerk), but instead of throwing a public tantrum about it, I told the moderator what I thought of the rule.
I wasn't talking about you. I was referring to another poster's repetition of a tired rhetoric.

Timewalker wrote:
What you're not getting from my posts here is this: How can a poster question a decision BEFORE it's made? If you don't know a decision has been made, how can you question it before it was made? Unless you know a decision is coming and what it will be, you cannot question it before - you can only question it after. To expect otherwise, you are assuming we all must be telepathic, have ESP, or access to a time machine.
Once again, I wasn't referring to you. That's what you're not getting. My comments were directed at another poster who continually whines about board policy because he believes he's more qualified to run this site than the people who actually do it. Finally, the poster in question wasn't questioning a decision that hadn't been made. He was complaining about a rule-change that had already been made that you were apparently unaware of.

Timewalker wrote:
You keep ranting at people that the moderators make the rules, so the rest of us must stop having the audacity to question the moderators' decisions, even if we didn't know they'd made the decision in the first place.
It's not my fault if you aren't aware of any decisions made by the moderators. They do an excellent job of making any changes to board policy known to this site's regular users. If you weren't aware of the revisions in spite of this, that's hardly their fault or mine. Familiarizing yourself with the rules and regulations of a message board before posting there is your responsibility. If you're not comfortable with that, I don't know what else to tell you.

And I haven't been ranting at "the rest of [you]." My primary target in my posts has been a single poster who happens to be intensely disliked by a number of other members here, myself included. It's his attitude I have a problem with. I never said I had a problem with you.

Timewalker wrote:
Well, guess what: YOU are not a moderator, either.
Nor have I ever said that I was.

Timewalker wrote:
YOU do not have the authority to tell the rest of us when we may and may not question the moderators. YOU are assuming the unearned mantle of mod-hood and telling people how to behave when you don't have that authority.
If I had done that, I'd have been punished by now.

Timewalker wrote:
Hypocrisy, much?
Nice try, but no. I'd be a hypocrite if I questioned the mods decisions after telling other people not to do it, but I've never had a problem with any of the rules or regulations of this site.

Timewalker wrote:
Jesus. Effing. Christ. It's people like you who make me want to avoid this forum even if I did manage to catch up and read every single Star Trek novel ever written. It's your attitude that offends me.
You know what I find offensive? That you're taking me to task for something that I never posted. Below is the passage you just quoted in it's original form. As you can see, I never said that. Someone else did. You quoted me by mistake.

Pavonis wrote:
See? That user is not me. It's someone else. Your beef lies elsewhere.

Timewalker wrote:
Stop treating me like I'm one of the other people you're screaming at.
If you actually take the time to read my responses to you, you'll see that I haven't done that at all. As I've explained, I've taken issue with comments made primarily by one poster (not you) who regularly posts in this sub-forum. I've included my responses to your previous posts below to illustrate my point. None of them was an attack on you.

Sran wrote:
I agree with this and think people need to use common sense when it comes to discussing information in other novels that aren't directly related to the thread in question. Having said that, I don't believe that people purposely avoid doing this in an effort to be rude. People make mistakes and forget. It happens.
Sran wrote:
I should explain my point in saying that. I don't have a problem with debate and discussion about a particular topic. But I think it's inappropriate to constantly question the decisions of other people when they have shown themselves to be thoughtful and considerate. I used to be a member of a forum whose moderators were quick to stamp out any dissent by issuing warnings, bans, and numerous "my way or the highway" speeches that alienated several longtime posters, myself included.

I've not found the mod staff at this site to be that way. Every action I've seen them take has been carefully considered before being undertaken. This includes their decision about the rule of six-months for mandatory spoiler tags when discussing novels. It's perfectly acceptable to question the wisdom of a decision before it's made. But once the decision has been reached and implemented, it is the responsibility of everyone to stand the behind the decision and support it.

If people believe that a decision has been improperly or without consideration for all factors involved, the best approach would be for these individuals to present the moderators with new information that may facilitate new discussions and the implementation of a new policy. My problem with the way this situation has been handled is that the moderators have made a decision that- at face value- seems to be fair. But those opposed to the decision have insisted on repeating the same rhetoric they were using before the decision was made instead of presenting the moderators with information illustrating why the six-month rule doesn't work (as suggested by another poster).
I've re-read both of these posts and find them both to be reasonable. Neither one is or was intended as an attack against you. As I said earlier in this post, I think your beef lies elsewhere. I've not attacked you. That you have the impression I've done so is based in part on the fact that you mistakenly quoted another poster's words as my own.

--Sran
Old September 15 2013, 11:19 PM   #149
Elias Vaughn
Captain

Perhaps every time you post a spoiler, you should also post three fake spoilers, and every time you respond to a spoiler you have to respond to all of the fake ones too. Then even if someone reads it, whichever one is plot relevant will still be a surprise.
Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 11:53 PM   #150
Sran
Fleet Captain

^I can see it now. In the next installment of The Fall, will Captain Sisko...

--Sran