Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 13 2013, 04:51 PM   #271
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Can someone with Issues # 2 and #3, please post some pictures of them? I'd like to see what the true color of NCC-1701 is. Is it blueish or is it grey? I'd also like to see how well the BoP is painted up. There seemed to be some difference depending on what on-line pictures you looked at.
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 02:27 AM   #272
SoM
Commander

Johnny Rico wrote: View Post
Can someone with Issues # 2 and #3, please post some pictures of them? I'd like to see what the true color of NCC-1701 is. Is it blueish or is it grey?
A very flat, neutral grey.

[I had one more look at it in the shop today. Just how badly they did was hammered home by their own centre spread, which showed a top-down view of the ship with the "aztec" patterning and not even a sign of the deep grid cut into the attached model's saucer. If you haven't already subscribed to or otherwise prebought this one and don't feel the need to be 100% completist, I'd skip this one and wait for the E-A if you want a Constitution-refit. Hopefully, they'll resculpt and work on a better paint job.]
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 05:08 AM   #273
Avro Arrow
Captain

The Trek Collective has posted a new pic of three Akiras together here.

Maybe it's just me, or a trick of perspective or something, but do the nacelles look correct to everyone? I thought that the pylons were angled enough that the nacelles were below the saucer, but here they appear to be above the saucer. Or perhaps I'm misremembering the original design?

I guess it's hard to tell from that angle...
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 07:07 AM   #274
Tosk
Rear Admiral

The nacelles are supposed to stop at almost exactly the same level as the bottom of the saucer...those look about right to me? It's hard to tell for sure.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 08:49 PM   #275
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

SoM wrote: View Post
Can someone with Issues # 2 and #3, please post some pictures of them? I'd like to see what the true color of NCC-1701 is. Is it blueish or is it grey?

[I had one more look at it in the shop today. Just how badly they did was hammered home by their own centre spread, which showed a top-down view of the ship with the "aztec" patterning and not even a sign of the deep grid cut into the attached model's saucer. If you haven't already subscribed to or otherwise prebought this one and don't feel the need to be 100% completist, I'd skip this one and wait for the E-A if you want a Constitution-refit. Hopefully, they'll resculpt and work on a better paint job.]
I'm already subscribed. So what you're saying is that the pic of the model in the Magazine looks better than the actual model? Or what? I didn't quite understand what you're saying there.
Old September 14 2013, 11:23 PM   #276
SoM
Commander

I'm already subscribed. So what you're saying is that the pic of the model in the Magazine looks better than the actual model? Or what? I didn't quite understand what you're saying there.
The centre spread of the magazine is a large, top-down picture of either the filming model or a reasonable approximation thereof.

While the Enterprise-D model from issue 1 didn't look too bad next to the big picture, with only the too-dark nacelle cap colour (which is clear blue plastic overpainted with clear red on their model) and a couple of small details being unpainted looking wrong, the Enterprise-refit picture shows up the flat grey of the #2 model quite horribly. In addition, their E-r model has a deep circular grid cut into the top surface of the saucer which not only looks poor in its own right, but which isn't visible in the large image.
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 01:26 AM   #277
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

The centre spread of the magazine is a large, top-down picture of either the filming model or a reasonable approximation thereof.

While the Enterprise-D model from issue 1 didn't look too bad next to the big picture, with only the too-dark nacelle cap colour (which is clear blue plastic overpainted with clear red on their model) and a couple of small details being unpainted looking wrong, the Enterprise-refit picture shows up the flat grey of the #2 model quite horribly. In addition, their E-r model has a deep circular grid cut into the top surface of the saucer which not only looks poor in its own right, but which isn't visible in the large image.
Somewhere buried on their Facebook page is a response to a message asking why the TMP-refit is a flat gray instead of the aztecking, and they mention it is because they were unable to get it to come out correctly in time and decided to just leave it gray. They go on to mention it should be fine on the A-refit later on down the line.
Old September 15 2013, 04:33 AM   #278
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

Old September 15 2013, 06:13 AM   #279
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

OK, they're having some paint job decision issues with the Jem'hadar Battle Cruiser. They're not sure how it's painted, so here are two samples of what they've done. Any of you all know the correct paint scheme?

Old September 15 2013, 11:51 AM   #280
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Hmmm. That's a good question. I'm thinking the bottom one is a little more accurate as far as the battle cruiser is concerned. The top color looks more appropriate for the attack "bug" ship. Then again, color, like scale, has never been Trek's strong suit. Everyone thinks the Romulan Warbird is green, but the filming model was really very gray, with just a hint of green. These ships were lit in such a way to give them different color temperatures. Federation ships often seemed to look blue, Klingon ships gray and green, etc. Of course, CG ships had a different set of coloration, so it's difficult to nail it down. When building models, people sometimes tend towards how they "appeared" on-screen, rather than real life, so maybe the top one is more accurate.
Old September 15 2013, 05:42 PM   #281
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Hmmm. That's a good question. I'm thinking the bottom one is a little more accurate as far as the battle cruiser is concerned. The top color looks more appropriate for the attack "bug" ship. Then again, color, like scale, has never been Trek's strong suit. Everyone thinks the Romulan Warbird is green, but the filming model was really very gray, with just a hint of green. These ships were lit in such a way to give them different color temperatures. Federation ships often seemed to look blue, Klingon ships gray and green, etc. Of course, CG ships had a different set of coloration, so it's difficult to nail it down. When building models, people sometimes tend towards how they "appeared" on-screen, rather than real life, so maybe the top one is more accurate.
Some of the comments in that initial post by the Eaglemoss guy suggested something in between. I suggested they use the dark grey color from the bottom one as it, but then use the darker purple color from the top model where the lighter, shiner grey is on the bottom model, thus giving the illusion that the ship was purple. Because like you said, the difference between shooting models and on-screen lighting, varies so much, it would be almost a guess as to what would be accurate on these real-life solid die-cast models. That said, out of thew two pictured here, I would prefer the bottom one, but it really needs to be a mixture of the two. A few more purple highlights to the bottom one would make all the difference, I believe.
Old September 15 2013, 08:13 PM   #282
publiusr
Commodore

i always thought the samller attack ship should have been called a Scarab class, with the larger Ori ship from Stargate called the Tiara class.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 08:49 PM   #283
t_smitts
Commander

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
The guy on Facebook noted that much of the purple tint we saw was actually from the engines. He says there trying to go for something in between the two above, which is probably for the best.

publiusr wrote: View Post
i always thought the samller attack ship should have been called a Scarab class, with the larger Ori ship from Stargate called the Tiara class.
I don't know what the heck Stargate has to do with anything, but it's oddly appropriate that no Dominion ships (except for the Cardassians) ever got proper names for either the classes or ships themselves. That kind of individuality would likely not be enouraged in a totalitarian dictatorship like the Dominion.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 03:32 PM   #284
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Can anyone log-in here http://startrekonline.eaglemoss.com/faqs.aspx?

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 04:04 PM   #285
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Entry 1 is "You must have logged in for a Free Trial or activate your subscription to be able to view this archive." Kind of a useless entry.