TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old September 13 2013, 10:02 PM   #91
billcosby
Commodore

Re: GTA V Announced

No eating this time around?
The previews and reviews I've seen don't mention it at all.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 11:08 AM   #92
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I liked how you could starve to death in San Andreas.

Also having to get fuel for your cars would be great. I always missed that in GTA games
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 08:43 PM   #93
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, a fuel element would be neat. It would add a tactical element to the game where if you run out of fuel, you'd be forced to ditch the car for another one, which would be interesting in the heat of the moment.
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 04:57 PM   #94
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I watched some free-roam livestreams of the game over the weekend, and it has me more hyped than ever. The game plays like a refined GTA4 with many the little annoyances of that game seemingly gone, most of the elements present in San Andreas that were missing in IV are back, and there's some stuff from RDR thrown in as well. It's almost like a sequel to all three of those games in a weird, yet exciting, way.

I'll post the rest of my observations behind a spoiler tag just in case some of you don't want to know about the world size or obtainable vehicles until you play. There's no story spoilers.

billcosby wrote: View Post
No eating this time around?
The previews and reviews I've seen don't mention it at all.
You have regenerating health for the first 50%, to get 100% health you have to eat or use a medkit. I'm not sure if fast food joints are in the game this time, but I read you can buy food from convenience stores.

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Yeah, a fuel element would be neat. It would add a tactical element to the game where if you run out of fuel, you'd be forced to ditch the car for another one, which would be interesting in the heat of the moment.
I read an interview where Sam Houser, the guy in charge of Rockstar games, revealed that he wanted a fuel system in the games but got talked out of it by the developers. Maybe they prototyped the idea and found it more annoying than fun?
Old September 15 2013, 05:27 PM   #95
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I'm not sure I want to starve and run out of fuel in GTA. Those are some sim elements I could do without while causing mayhem. Besides, I don't think I ever keep a car long enough to run out of fuel.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 01:16 AM   #96
Jax
Admiral

Sooooooooooo close...

Ordered mine from Shop To.Net as they typically always get games to you 1 day before release so hoping I get it on Monday. Even booked day off work can't wait.

Last edited by Jax; September 16 2013 at 05:38 AM.
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 05:08 AM   #97
Yoda
Rear Admiral

i'm sure my pre-order will be right here sometime on Tuesday... but I have to finish The Last of Us first... I think I'm only like halfway through. #firstworldproblems
Old September 16 2013, 09:45 AM   #98
ITL
Vice Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post

Last edited by ITL; September 16 2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: brainfart
ITL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 05:11 PM   #99
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

The reviews are in and it's currently sitting at 98 on Metacritic. Mostly 10/10s, a couple of reviews dipping down to 9/10, and a 7/10 from the Escapist where the reviewer criticised the game for having "despicable characters as the protagonists". Sounds about right.
Old September 16 2013, 08:01 PM   #100
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I read an interview where Sam Houser, the guy in charge of Rockstar games, revealed that he wanted a fuel system in the games but got talked out of it by the developers. Maybe they prototyped the idea and found it more annoying than fun?
Possibly. I like to think that anything's possible, though, and that it's all in the way they approach things. For example, remember all those gas stations in San Andreas? Just scenery. But imagine if they were more than just scenery, and interactive, and Rockstar always strive to make their worlds more interactive. Fuel could be only active in free roam, unless a specific mission calls for it.
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 12:25 AM   #101
Jax
Admiral

Sold my pre order from ShopTo.Net to my brother and just picked up midnight release copy from Tesco Express round the corner from my house, installing it as I speak. Pity can only play till 2am cause work next day worth it + never been involved in a midnight launch before.
Old September 17 2013, 12:50 AM   #102
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I read there was some sort of mess-up for Gamestop's 360 version in Ireland, defective stock or something, so there was a shortage of supply. I wasn't planning on going to a midnight launch, but decided I had better just to be sure I got a copy. Two hours of queuing and one sore back later, and I got my copy. It's going to be a late night...
Old September 17 2013, 05:15 AM   #103
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Grand Theft Auto V on the Xbox 360 will come on two discs, one for installation and the other to play/load the game. While the X360 has enjoyed optional disc installs for any game since its dashboard update in 2008, Rockstar is recommending Xbox 360 players that they do not install the "play" disc.

Advice provided in a tweet reply by @RockstarSupport states, "For optimal performance, we recommend not installing that disc. We will have more info on our Support Site at launch."
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mis...tar-recommends
Old September 17 2013, 10:21 AM   #104
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Possibly. I like to think that anything's possible, though, and that it's all in the way they approach things. For example, remember all those gas stations in San Andreas? Just scenery. But imagine if they were more than just scenery, and interactive, and Rockstar always strive to make their worlds more interactive. Fuel could be only active in free roam, unless a specific mission calls for it.
I think a problem might be to find the right balance for non-annoying fuel consumption of cars. If it's just like the real world, it's boring, and if it's too fast, it gets annoying because you have to get to a gas station every ten minutes.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 02:30 PM   #105
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I played for a few hours last night and so far it's living up to my hopes. I only did a couple of missions, then spent most of my time exploring the world, and I can say that it feels much bigger while playing it than it did in the videos I watched over the weekend. My biggest fear was that they'd mess up the driving (I enjoyed GTA4's driving for the most part) but I think they nailed it. Driving is easier, but not arcadey, cars still have a good feeling of weight to them but have much better grip and tighter suspension. You can lose control and spin out, but not excessively so, as in IV.

Some advice: Don't try to climb Mt Chiliad in a pickup truck, use a dirt-bike. And be wary, those ninja cougars from RDR are all over the mountains.