Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old September 14 2013, 06:57 PM   #1
dub
Fleet Captain

Thoughts on Season 3

I've made it to episode 10 of season 3, and I wanted to share a few thoughts so far.

I liked "Flashback," but only for the coolness of seeing Captain Sulu and the Excelsior, and specifically seeing a new perspective from the events of TUC. But the story itself for this episode was kind of dumb IMO. And the little girl that was used to represent Janeway in the little memory sequence was awful! I'm sure Janeway was a much cuter little girl than that!

"The Chute" was okay. But the moment when we discover the chute leads to a window into space was pretty good. Too bad they couldn't have a couple of other big parts of the story involving these aliens which would have allowed this to be a 2-parter. The window of the chute scene would have been an awesome cliffhanger. The more Voyager I watch, the more I like Tom Paris. The more interaction he has with Kim, the more I like him too. Actually, I could care less about Kim, but he does help make Paris look like a really decent guy and a great friend.

"The Swarm" really bothered me. Janeway & others in the crew seemed almost giddy about plowing through space that belonged to a species which was by all accounts advanced and aggressive, and mostly unknown. Why are they so excited about busting through their space? Why not just try to go around for a bit and perhaps find another friendly species who could at least help them communicate with the mystery swarm? I just couldn't understand why they decided so quickly to fly through their space...and why they were so doggon excited about it! Maybe they were trying to add some danger to the personalities of the crew or something. But it just seemed out of character to me. The doctor's B-story was okay though.

"False Profits" was fun to me, being a fan of the Ferengi. I just think at they end they could have stuck around and studied the wormhole area and put their heads together to figure out a way to trigger the wormhole again prematurely if possible. To me, they gave up too quickly.

"Future's End" was pretty good to me. I really enjoyed it a lot. Plus, I had a crush on Sarah Silverman back in the day.

And that's where I've stopped.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Thoughts on Season 3

dub wrote: View Post
I liked "Flashback," but only for the coolness of seeing Captain Sulu and the Excelsior, and specifically seeing a new perspective from the events of TUC. But the story itself for this episode was kind of dumb IMO.
The precipice stuff was confusing and in the end meaningless, so the whole episode fell flat. The Excelsior battle was cool I guess.

dub wrote: View Post
"False Profits" was fun to me, being a fan of the Ferengi. I just think at they end they could have stuck around and studied the wormhole area and put their heads together to figure out a way to trigger the wormhole again prematurely if possible. To me, they gave up too quickly.
To me, NEELIX gave up too quickly in this episode. The Ferengi lift one finger and the idiot reveals the entire plan.
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 08:57 PM   #3
The Caretaker
Lieutenant

They made a big fuss about leaving Kazon space at the start of Season 3 that the main problem for me is that they didn't move into another area of space which presented a threat for more than one episode. Season 2 worked for me in that there was a threat that built up nicely throughout the year to culminate in The Basics, well in Season 3 there was no narrative thread at all that I can recall. It was a real step back in terms of storytelling.
The Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 09:30 PM   #4
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Eh, if they're moving through an area of space that's not claimed by any race that has a dominance in the area, so be it. After two years of Kazon I was happy to have them shake things up a bit.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

Looking back, the 3-episode mini-arcs (Enterprise 4th season) would have been perfect for Voyager. They almost did it with the Hirogen (no spoilers I promise), but that was an exception.
Old September 14 2013, 10:20 PM   #6
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

From Season 3, my fave is "Future's End".

I don't tend to rewatch episodes from Season 1~3 as much as I rewatch 4~7.

But yeah I love Sarah Silverman too. I thought her character and Tom were adorable in that episode and had good chemistry.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 10:36 PM   #7
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Season 3 is probably my third least favorite season of the show (Behind Season 6 and 7) but it has probably 3 of my favorite episodes of the series: Before and After, Scorpion I, and Blood Fever.
Old September 15 2013, 12:57 AM   #8
Pondwater
Commodore

The episodes after "Future's End" that took place through the Nekrit Expanse tend to be my favorite.
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 10:59 AM   #9
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Future's End is my most watched VOY ep(s) even though it's not in my favorites. It just makes a particularly fab movie night double ep and I've watched it in that spirit many times.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 11:14 AM   #10
lurok
Commodore

I'm really torn about Future's End. There's so much to like/admire...and yet, it just doesn't do if for me. Not quite sure why. As time travel/old Earth episodes go, it's better than Time's Arrow, but not as much stupid fun as Assignment:Earth, Little Green Men or Carbon Creek (I know that's technically not time-travel, but I don't even want to mention Stormfront).

The best thing about S3 was ditching the Kazon. And it gave us Season 4.
Old September 15 2013, 01:16 PM   #11
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

I'm curious, what is the opinion around here on Sacred Ground? It always bothers me to see Janeway get all mystical in her final line: "very... scientific". She is a scientist dammit! I know that's the point of the story, but I don't like it. There.

The first half of Season 3 is incredibly weak.

The only episodes I really liked:
- Remember
- Alter Ego
- Fair Trade

The second half is very strong. Although there are still awful episodes (Darkling, Rise, Favorite Son), I liked every single episode starting with Before and After.
Old September 15 2013, 01:26 PM   #12
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I like to think that Janeway allows herself to choose to be an explorer at the expense of past dearly held precepts in Sacred Ground. Because.. why not? Ultimately she is a woman driven by curiosity.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 09:58 PM   #13
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

teacake wrote: View Post
Future's End is my most watched VOY ep(s) even though it's not in my favorites. It just makes a particularly fab movie night double ep and I've watched it in that spirit many times.
I think it's my most rewatched too even though I prefer the later seasons.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Captain Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 10:05 PM   #14
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

"Deadlock" may be my most rewatched episode. It has the advantage of being earlier in the series though, which meant I was able to rewatch it before other episodes even existed.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 10:52 PM   #15
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Season 3 is pretty mediocre in general. It has a few good eps like Future's End and The Chute, but in general it was the season where they couldn't figure out what to do with the series so they just wrote a series of mostly mediocre standalones.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote