Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 13 2013, 11:09 PM   #1276
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

davejames wrote: View Post
Hmm, I like the idea of a Batman who's "tired and weary" and been around for awhile, but the fact Affleck barely looks much older than Cavill might make that a bit of a tough sell, I think...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=108868
The more I hear about this the more I think Josh Brolin or Jon Hamm or someone along those lines might have been more appropriate, but alas.
Old September 13 2013, 11:29 PM   #1277
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Would Ryan Gosling make a good Aquaman?

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 12:37 AM   #1278
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I don't think so, because it removes any options they have for telling stories in solo films, and because it doesn't fit in with what MoS established. Batman being tired, weary, and seasoned doesn't contradict MoS in and of itself, but he has to have gained whatever experience he has without word of his existence leaking, and if he's already fought most of his rogues gallery - especially the high-profile criminals like Joker, Riddler, etc - the more the likelihood of knowledge or rumors of his existence leaking increases.
At what point does Man of Steel do anything to deny Batman's existence, or that anyone would have knowledge of his existence? He just didn't come up.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 01:07 AM   #1279
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^In point of fact, Batman's existence is actually implied by the Wayne Enterprise satellite.
Old September 14 2013, 01:08 AM   #1280
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I don't think so, because it removes any options they have for telling stories in solo films, and because it doesn't fit in with what MoS established. Batman being tired, weary, and seasoned doesn't contradict MoS in and of itself, but he has to have gained whatever experience he has without word of his existence leaking, and if he's already fought most of his rogues gallery - especially the high-profile criminals like Joker, Riddler, etc - the more the likelihood of knowledge or rumors of his existence leaking increases.
At what point does Man of Steel do anything to deny Batman's existence, or that anyone would have knowledge of his existence? He just didn't come up.
Exactly. When Jonathan Kent is talking about how Clark's very existence will change the way humanity sees the universe, I doubt he was talking about the possibility of caped crime-fighters!

MAN OF STEEL was basically a sci-fi movie about First Contact and an alien invasion. Not sure why anyone would bring up a notorious masked vigilante when dealing with buried spaceships and superhuman invaders. That would be like mentioning the Green Hornet during the War of the Worlds!
Old September 14 2013, 01:30 AM   #1281
Christopher
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
That would be like mentioning the Green Hornet during the War of the Worlds!
Okay, now you have to write that crossover.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 02:06 AM   #1282
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
That would be like mentioning the Green Hornet during the War of the Worlds!
Okay, now you have to write that crossover.
Well, I have written the Green Hornet in the past . . . .
Old September 14 2013, 02:30 AM   #1283
Christopher
Writer

It wasn't bacteria that stopped the Martians, it was Bruce Lee!

Old September 14 2013, 02:35 AM   #1284
DWF
Vice Admiral

MAN OF STEEL was basically a sci-fi movie about First Contact and an alien invasion. Not sure why anyone would bring up a notorious masked vigilante when dealing with buried spaceships and superhuman invaders. That would be like mentioning the Green Hornet during the War of the Worlds!
Batman, The Green Hornet, Superman, The Flash and Hawkman could make up the modern League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 11:06 AM   #1285
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Is it just me, or are the DC superheroes except for Superman and Batman extremely lame? Aquaman, Flash, Green Hornet, Green Lantern? Please.

I can't see how I could taken any of these seriously in live action films like the current movie Marvel Avengers.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 12:06 PM   #1286
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I must admit, that while I have no problem with the casting of Affleck, I don't really care for the idea of pairing off a Superman at or near the start of his career with a weary and tired Batman, who's been at his job for a long time.

We had a weary and tired Batman in The Dark Knight Rises and while I appreciate that this movie will doubtless handle him very differently, I would have preferred Batman and Superman to be at similar sorts of stages in this movie. Batman may have been doing it a little longer than Superman but I would have preferred to see him at, say, around the stage of his career that he was in The Dark Knight.

It makes me wonder how long they plan to keep this incarnation of Batman around for. Affleck is 41 but looks younger while Cavill is in his late 20s, playing his early 30s. Shouldn't they be played by contemporaries or at least shouldn't they be near-contemporaries in the movie (if Cavill can be 33, I would find Affleck believable as 35 or so).

I would've thought that the plan would be to use this movie to reboot and relaunch a series of solo Batman movies, without the need for an introduction or origin movie, but if Batman is meant to be tired and weary already, I wonder how much scope for solo movies there could be? Perhaps the end of this movie will see him reinvigorated and animated in his mission; I don't know.
Old September 14 2013, 04:10 PM   #1287
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Is it just me, or are the DC superheroes except for Superman and Batman extremely lame? Aquaman, Flash, Green Hornet, Green Lantern? Please.

I can't see how I could taken any of these seriously in live action films like the current movie Marvel Avengers.
Green Hornet isn't a DC hero.

And no they aren't any "lamer" than Marvel's heroes. Flash is a guy who runs fast, just like Quicksilver who will be appearing in the next Avengers and X-Men films. Aquaman is a guy who can breath underwater, just like the Sub-Mariner, who's been optioned for films at Universal. Green Lantern no lamer than Marvel's Silver Surfer, Quasar, Captain Marvel or any of their cosmic heroes
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 05:07 PM   #1288
Christopher
Writer

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I must admit, that while I have no problem with the casting of Affleck, I don't really care for the idea of pairing off a Superman at or near the start of his career with a weary and tired Batman, who's been at his job for a long time.
Actually I kind of like the idea of contrasting them like that. And really, MoS Superman in particular has so far fallen very short in terms of being a hero; he's achieved a few useful things, but only by following others' instructions, and there's a lot he could've done that he failed to do (like saving more bystanders or finding a better way to deal with Zod than just obediently doing what the villain told him to do). So this Kal-El needs some serious instruction in how to be a superhero. Given that, it makes sense to pair him up with a veteran who knows the game and is able to slap some sense into this guy and get him to start living up to his potential for a change.

It makes me wonder how long they plan to keep this incarnation of Batman around for. Affleck is 41 but looks younger while Cavill is in his late 20s, playing his early 30s.
Cavill is actually 30 now.

For comparison, Robert Downey, Jr. was 43 when he first played Iron Man, and will be 50 when The Avengers: Age of Ultron is released (though will be 48-49 during filming). Chris Hemsworth is currently 30 and Chris Evans is currently 32. Mark Ruffalo is now 45 and Scarlett Johansson is 28.

So no, I don't think it's essential for the co-stars in a superhero movie to be of equivalent age. I think WB wants Affleck to be the DC film universe's equivalent to Downey (in front of the camera, and Whedon behind, perhaps). And he's younger now than Downey was when he first played Tony Stark, so honestly these "He's too old" objections are rather bizarre to me.

I would've thought that the plan would be to use this movie to reboot and relaunch a series of solo Batman movies, without the need for an introduction or origin movie, but if Batman is meant to be tired and weary already, I wonder how much scope for solo movies there could be? Perhaps the end of this movie will see him reinvigorated and animated in his mission; I don't know.
Personally I'm glad we don't get another origin story. It's time superhero movies started to move beyond that trope.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Green Hornet isn't a DC hero.
Correct; he was originally a radio character who then appeared in film serials and a television series, as well as a recent film from Sony/Columbia. He has had various comic-book series over the decades from various publishers including Harvey, Dell, Gold Key (very briefly, based on the TV series), NOW, and Dynamite Entertainment, but never DC. I suppose people make that mistake because the '60s TV series was from the same production company that did Batman. But that was the only crossover between the Green Hornet and DC characters, as far as I know.

Old September 14 2013, 05:31 PM   #1289
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

So this happened: Justin Bieber posted an instagram of himself last night holding a Superman vs Batman script, with the tag #robin.

1238888_658270380851562_1318092626_n.jpg

And you thought the Batfleck was a shitstorm.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 05:52 PM   #1290
davejames
Vice Admiral

^ Um, I'm just going to pretend I didn't see that.

La la la la la.....
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote