Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 9 2013, 12:11 PM   #1
SFC3
Ensign

View SFC3's Twitter Profile
TAS in HD!?

Since when has TAS been in HD? I just got Netflix, and I was shocked to see TAS listed with both seasons. I immediately had a marathon and watched the best episodes.

The big question is, it's in 5.1 surround sound. It's 1080p. Why the heck is it not on BluRay?

(also, happy birthday to TAS)
SFC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 05:00 PM   #2
jpv2000
Captain

Re: TAS in HD!?

SFC3 wrote: View Post
Since when has TAS been in HD? I just got Netflix, and I was shocked to see TAS listed with both seasons. I immediately had a marathon and watched the best episodes.

The big question is, it's in 5.1 surround sound. It's 1080p. Why the heck is it not on BluRay?

(also, happy birthday to TAS)
I don't have Netflix, only the TAS boxed DVD set. How did the episodes look?
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Cel dirt never looked better!
Old September 9 2013, 09:57 PM   #4
SFC3
Ensign

Yeah - you can see all the smudges but the really stands out. It looks great.

It would really hold up if they "remastered" it. But if they do an "as is" release, I would certainly pick it up.
Old September 10 2013, 04:06 AM   #5
SpHeRe31459
Captain

See also:
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.ph...51#post8623651
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:30 AM   #6
Warped9
Admiral

As blasphemous as this may sound it could be something to see TAS re-animated. I don't mean with cgi a la Star Wars: Clone Wars. I mean very much in the original style with proper fluid animation where characters and ships and things actual move properly and with far, far fewer static shots. A lot of TAS as is comes off as something like a comic book with sound because there's so little actual.movement.

Oh, and correct the pink Kzinti ships and pink suits.
Old September 10 2013, 12:13 PM   #7
SFC3
Ensign

And the Orions (OREIONS) and how they look nothing like we've seen (to be fair, we never saw male orions, really, in TOS)
Old September 10 2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Warped9
Admiral

SFC3 wrote: View Post
And the Orions (OREIONS) and how they look nothing like we've seen (to be fair, we never saw male orions, really, in TOS)
No, I wouldn't want it restconned just because of what came later. And I wish they hadn't done that shit in TOS-R--- I can't stand those Tholian ships.
Old September 10 2013, 02:38 PM   #9
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Warped9 wrote: View Post
As blasphemous as this may sound it could be something to see TAS re-animated. I don't mean with cgi a la Star Wars: Clone Wars. I mean very much in the original style with proper fluid animation where characters and ships and things actual move properly and with far, far fewer static shots. A lot of TAS as is comes off as something like a comic book with sound because there's so little actual.movement.

That's largely what I would like to see. Animation still isn't exactly cheap or quick, but with a good studio backing the project they could make something a lot more impressive.

And the static-ness of so many shots is very offputting. What I find hilarious is the far more limited range of stock footage of the Enterprise than the live action series had.
Old September 10 2013, 02:49 PM   #10
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Regarding the subject of limited animation in HD, I'm reminded of an episode of FAMILY GUY that mocked the art gallery scene in FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF.

The camera alternately showed Stewie's face and a French Impressionist painting. The shots of each kept getting closer and closer. More and more detail emerged in the painting, while Stewies' face was revealed to contain less and less. The animation art is utterly smooth and featureless. It was a brilliant and self-deprecating commentary on the quality of TV.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:52 PM   #11
jpv2000
Captain

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post

That's largely what I would like to see. Animation still isn't exactly cheap or quick, but with a good studio backing the project they could make something a lot more impressive.

And the static-ness of so many shots is very offputting. What I find hilarious is the far more limited range of stock footage of the Enterprise than the live action series had.
I would love to see a new Trek animated series done with current animation technology. I could also go with reanimating the original, as long as the originals were included as well, like the TOS blue rays did.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 06:40 PM   #12
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Meh... I'd rather get have new stories. I'd like the next Trek TV series to be animated, but with imaginative stories and decent animation. The reality of TV time and budget constraints would by necessity mean stylized characters, but as long as they didn't exaggerate proportions too much, I think they could get away with it.
Old September 14 2013, 04:56 AM   #13
Warped9
Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Meh... I'd rather get have new stories. I'd like the next Trek TV series to be animated, but with imaginative stories and decent animation. The reality of TV time and budget constraints would by necessity mean stylized characters, but as long as they didn't exaggerate proportions too much, I think they could get away with it.
But the point of discussion isn't whether there should be a new series (there should), but whether the original TAS should/could be remastered and/or enhanced.
Old September 14 2013, 11:05 AM   #14
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Seriously, it's not worth it. Most of the stories are not that good, the voice acting is bland, and the music is mind-numbingly repetitive. Why waste the effort instead of just making something new?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 05:55 PM   #15
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Even though TAS is releasable in HD right now (because it's on film), I'd be all for trying to clean it up a bit, if for no other reason than to fix some of the more glaring errors like people's uniforms being the wrong color sometimes, the pasty white skin, the pink Klingons, etc. (yes, I know this was because Hal Sutherland was colorblind) and at least trying to fix that thing in the opening credits where the Enterprise is flying SIDEWAYS .

But I'd be even MORE in favor of a full-out CGI remake of the entire series, but keeping the existing voices.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote