Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 20 2013, 07:19 AM   #46
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

We will be seeing the very first Avatar this season, in a two-part episode called "Beginnings". The story will take place 10,000 years prior to Korra, and will show us how a bender named Wan became the very first Avatar. He will be voiced by The Walking Dead's Steven Yeun. Nickelodeon released this pic of Wan:

Wired

In other news, the first episode of Book Two, "Rebel Spirit", was screened at the LoK Comic-Con panel. Hypable has provided a detailed recap of the episode, and Screencrush has listed a few key points. Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled!

Go here to watch a recording of the entire panel, minus the episode screening of course. There may be some spoilers revealed there too (I haven't watched it yet).
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 12:31 PM   #47
Mr Light
Admiral

The First Avatar?! That's awesome!

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 11:34 PM   #48
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Book 2 starts on Sept. 13th with two episodes.

Source
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 12:10 AM   #49
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

How many episodes are supposed to be in this season?
Old September 2 2013, 12:20 AM   #50
Christopher
Writer

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Fourteen. That way the first two Books together add up to a full 26 episodes.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 12:48 AM   #51
Reverend
Rear Admiral

When I noticed that guy in the trailer I did wonder that he might be the very first Avatar. IIRC there's shots of him bending all the elements (so obviously *an* Avatar) and getting in between people and the spirits dead set on re-enacting the title sequence of X-Men, which ties into the whole "bridge between the worlds" bit.

It's nice to be getting some more on the larger mythos of the Avatar.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 01:25 AM   #52
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

My son and I are looking forward to this.

The first one was excellent.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2013, 03:03 AM   #53
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Fourteen. That way the first two Books together add up to a full 26 episodes.
Thanks, I couldn't remember if the first season had 11 or 12 episodes and if it was "Up to 26 episodes".
Old September 13 2013, 03:57 PM   #54
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Tonight's the night. The 14-month wait is over.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 04:14 PM   #55
Redfern
Commodore

Ooh! Thanks for the "heads up"!

I might have missed it otherwise.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 09:14 PM   #56
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I'm excited!
Old September 14 2013, 12:13 AM   #57
JD
Admiral

I forgot until I saw a new post in the thread. Thanks for the reminder.
I actually just checked TV Guide to see what's on tonight and I completely overlooked it.
Old September 14 2013, 12:30 AM   #58
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I'm waiting until 7 my time to watch it rather than watching it right now on the Nick east coast feed. Korra is awesomeness.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 01:28 AM   #59
Christopher
Writer

A pretty impressive return, and a lot of fun moments. We get to see the world expanded further, not only geographically and culturally, but in terms of getting to know Korra's and Tenzin's families more. Good action, good music, good animation, good new voices.

A couple of things bug me. I'm not happy that they just fobbed off all the first season's loose ends with a simple "It's been six months and Republic City is at peace." The Equalists wouldn't have gotten as far as they did if there weren't a strong core of discontent among non-benders about their treatment by benders, and that's something that would take a long time to address. It feels like a bit of a cheat just to brush it aside like that. Although maybe they'll do a comic-book miniseries filling in the gap sometime.

It also feels like small-universe syndrome to have Korra's own father, who we thought was just some guy in an igloo, turn out to be the former heir apparent to the Northern Water Tribe's chieftainship and the general who caused the spiritual imbalance now racking the world. Having all the most important characters be related to each other is usually a rather contrived trope. Although it occurred to me that maybe the reason the Avatar's soul passed to Korra was that it was her destiny to correct the imbalance her father caused.

I pegged Unalaq as the bad guy pretty much right off. Despite his seeming benevolence, he's clearly a fanatic, and he's got sort of a Tarrlok-esque quality, a sinister undercurrent to his surface helpfulness. As soon as we saw that he had the power to calm the spirits, I suspected that he was the one who stirred them up in the first place in order to provide an excuse to convince Korra to train under him -- and, as we later saw, an excuse to bring the Southern Water Tribe under his control. Note that the first spirit attack 20 years earlier resulted in his older brother being banished and Unalaq inheriting the chieftainship. (Plus his twins are rather creepy. Bolin has strange tastes.)

Not happy that Asami disappeared in episode 2. I assume we'll see more of her and the crazy financier guy later on. What I'm wondering is why his moving-picture starlet Ginger is a redhead. They don't have Caucasians in their world! How have they ever seen a redhead before?

Interesting that Jinora was spiritually drawn to the hall of statues, and to the one statue that I think must've been Wan, the first Avatar. Looks like she's got some of the spiritual sensitivity that Korra lacks. Maybe she'll be able to help teach Korra.

Actually it feels like they reset Korra's personality a bit. I'd think that after her experiences in Book 1, she would've learned to grow a bit beyond the "punch everything and ignore the spiritual" behavior. She should've already understood that she had to try to connect to the spirits rather than just fighting them, even if she wasn't very good at it yet.

Hey, wait a minute. This takes place on the winter solstice in the south, and it's been six months since the end of Book 1. And Republic City is in the north. That means that Book 1 ended on the northern winter solstice, i.e. the season took place in the fall. It looked more like spring or summer to me.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 01:53 AM   #60
Mr Light
Admiral

Excellent season premiere, this is going to be much better than the first season. I'm delighted they introduced like ten new characters in one episode, I like a big ensemble. I'm looking forward to a Miyazaki-esque heavy season!

Her uncle was clearly the Big Bad from the get-go. The moment I saw him controlling spirits, no question.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote