RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 417
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 13 2013, 08:12 PM   #121
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Re: STAR TREK the enemy of LOST IN SPACE?

Knowing Irwin Allen, he never would have gotten to "but not prohibitively so" before hanging up the phone.

That's just it, though, in a forced prospective shot, there isn't any optical printer work required. Right? Unless I am misunderstanding the process, which is always possible, the actors stand at different distances from the camera, the sets are matched, and then shoot, cut, print. Wouldn't that be easier and faster than shooting the scene more than once and then sending it to the lab? Especially for an episode that was already heavy on new effects. The majority of the physical effects on Voyage were done in camera and pretty simply.

This is why I'd love a really good behind the scenes book on the series. I love going over this stuff.
Old September 13 2013, 08:20 PM   #122
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Cristopher: "As I've said, part of what motivated Roddenberry to develop ST in the first place was that there had never been a non-anthology SF television series that was written with adult rather than family audiences in mind. LiS was originally more serious than it became, true, but it was still intended for family viewing, meaning for parents and children alike"

And yet so many of us fell in love with Star Trek as children! Including my own kids (viewing it with me - awwww).
Old September 13 2013, 09:40 PM   #123
Christopher
Writer

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Knowing Irwin Allen, he never would have gotten to "but not prohibitively so" before hanging up the phone.
I wasn't trying to evaluate whether Mr. Allen himself would be willing to do it. I was just mentioning that a technique for doing so existed, because I thought it would be an interesting sidebar to the conversation.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 09:45 PM   #124
davejames
Vice Admiral

All this LIS talk was making me kind of nostalgic so I decided to rewatch the first couple episodes for the first time in awhile, and... yikes. I realize it was made for kids, but I still somehow remembered those early episodes being a lot better than they are (and a lot better than what came after).

But pretty much from the get-go the series was silly and ridiculous as hell, with lots of over-acting (or just plain bad acting), simplistic characters, and completely random and unscientific jargon that makes no sense whatsoever. I especially love John's hilariously inept attempt at a spacewalk at the end of the first episode. I mean, seriously, did this family not receive any training before heading out on this mission??

I will admit the sets look a lot cooler than I remembered (especially in b&w), and of course the Robot is as awesome as ever. But otherwise I just don't think the show holds up all that well at all. Even if some of the situations might be fun, the execution leaves a lot to be desired.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 10:49 PM   #125
Christopher
Writer

^It was a product of its time. For a mid-'60s show aimed at younger audiences, it wasn't bad at the beginning. The set designs and effects were impressive, and the music is what really makes it come alive.

Old September 13 2013, 11:25 PM   #126
davejames
Vice Admiral

Some of the orchestral music is good, but there's a little too much of the standard "weird and eerie 50s scifi music" that Roddenberry was so dead-set against having on TOS.

I do love the heck out of the theme song though, especially the later version that started with a countdown.
Old September 13 2013, 11:35 PM   #127
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
^It was a product of its time. For a mid-'60s show aimed at younger audiences, it wasn't bad at the beginning. The set designs and effects were impressive, and the music is what really makes it come alive.
Agree. Irwin Allen's Jupiter 2 sets both upper deck and lower deck were extremely detailed, very impressive production design.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 12:59 AM   #128
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Galileo7 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Agree. Irwin Allen's Jupiter 2 sets both upper deck and lower deck were extremely detailed, very impressive production design.
Yep. I love the interior of the Jupiter 2, especially the lower deck for some reason, and I love the sleek exterior that can't possibly accomodate them. You have to make the Jupiter 2 about 98 feet in diameter to cram all that stuff in there, and when you do, the front windshield gets way too large and too far out from the pilots' seats.

ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 01:03 AM   #129
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
Some of the orchestral music is good, but there's a little too much of the standard "weird and eerie 50s scifi music" that Roddenberry was so dead-set against having on TOS.
Nothing intrinsically wrong with that. Roddenberry was trying to do something new and distinct from what had come before; Allen was just trying to do another of his adventure shows.

Besides, a lot of that "eerie '50s scifi music" was tracked from Bernard Herrmann's score to The Day the Earth Stood Still, and that's one of the great SF film scores of all time.

Old September 14 2013, 02:48 AM   #130
davejames
Vice Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Yep. I love the interior of the Jupiter 2, especially the lower deck for some reason, and I love the sleek exterior that can't possibly accomodate them. You have to make the Jupiter 2 about 98 feet in diameter to cram all that stuff in there, and when you do, the front windshield gets way too large and too far out from the pilots' seats.
Ha, yeah I don't know how they hell they were supposed to have fit the Chariot in there. Even if was assembled outside the ship, the parts alone would have still taken up a ton of space.
Old September 14 2013, 08:18 AM   #131
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Good thing Star Trek never had that problem...oh, wait...
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 06:47 PM   #132
davejames
Vice Admiral

Oh wow, I just watched the Space Creature episode, and apparently there's supposed to be a giant freakin Power Core Room in there as well??

And I forgot about the Space Pod as well. Clearly that ship was supposed to be a whole lot bigger than the model made it look.
Old September 14 2013, 06:51 PM   #133
davejames
Vice Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
Good thing Star Trek never had that problem...oh, wait...
I thought they generally did a good job keeping things in check. At least until the Abrams movies.

But then those movies threw all KINDS of logic out the window, so I don't know if you can really count those. Lol
Old September 14 2013, 07:50 PM   #134
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
I thought they generally did a good job keeping things in check. At least until the Abrams movies.

But then those movies threw all KINDS of logic out the window, so I don't know if you can really count those. Lol
I call your attention to the forced-perspective corridor extending impossibly far forward from engineering in TMP; the 100-story-plus turboshaft in ST V; and the bottomless pit extending below a catwalk on the lowermost deck of the Enterprise-E in Nemesis.

Old September 14 2013, 08:08 PM   #135
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah the turboshaft scene was pretty ridiculous, but the others were just quick, offhand moments that I don't think stood out nearly as much.

At least not as much as the Power Core room in LIS, or the hugely immense Engineering Room and Shuttlebay in the Abrams movies.