Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old September 13 2013, 01:26 PM   #271
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Re: Was the Enterprise A actually the Yorktown?

Upgrade or just repairs?

Starbase repair staff enter the Engine Room. One counts the horizontal tubes behind the mesh and begins sucking his teeth.
Repairman: Blimey, would you look at that - the entire engine block - the WHOLE THING has dropped a clear foot! How did you not notice?
Scott: How dare you! Ma poor wee bairns are treated with love and kind-
Repairman: Never mind, Welshie. We'll fix it, BRING IN THE CRANE!!!
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 01:37 PM   #272
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Actually, has there ever been an exact and accurate portrayal of a historic setting in the holodeck? Our protagonists wouldn't be able to tell right from wrong unless it was a contemporary item.
I am reminded of Janeway's comment in Fair Haven when she commented on how authentic the recreation was of the "Irish" village.

Or the mixup with "historical items" in Squire of Gothos?

Yes, Starfleeters are not the history buffs they often pretend to be.
Old September 13 2013, 01:42 PM   #273
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Here is the Deck 7 Engineering Control Room from "The Naked Time". Notice that there are only two horizontal tubes behind the grating in the "cathedral".

Here is the Deck 7 Engineering Control Room from "Court Martial". You will notice that now there are three horizontal tubes behind the grating.

Since this upgrade is obvious, there is no reason to doubt that Stone was looking at an upgrade status chart and the still to perform upgrades on the Enterprise were not yet "complete".
No, not so obvious. The two pictures are taken from two different angles, and you can't see in the first one that the third tube isn't there. Is there another picture that shows the absence of the third tube?

That first picture really makes the forced perspective construction really obvious, though!
Old September 13 2013, 05:25 PM   #274
Praetor
Vice Admiral

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
Well, both the Excelsior and Defiant say "First Starship of Her Class" but given that both of these are a different style from the TOS style plaque, I don't consider this an invalidation of the other theory.

Besides, you can hack that up and make it "(First) Starship (of her) Class."
Hmmm, That could be a good alternative. I'll have to include that as an option to my answers for what class is the TOS Enterprise?
Part of the reason I find this explanation so advantageous is that it mirrors the reality of the CVN-65, which bore some great resemblances to the Nimitz class but was in fact her own class. And since we know the Starship Enterprise was more or less named for her...

Maybe "U.S.S. Enterprise - Starship Class" was just too concise and therefore they felt it to be necessary to be more specific in later dedication plaques.
I think that explanation totally works.

I just rewatched the opening scene of "Court Martial" (TOS without R) and we see the Enterprise just arriving or orbiting but without any repairs being done on her.

I still advocate the "upgrade" interpretation, especially since there is evidence that upgrades were performed (i.e. Stone realized Enterprise needed an upgrade in addition to the repairs).

Here is the Deck 7 Engineering Control Room from "The Naked Time". Notice that there are only two horizontal tubes behind the grating in the "cathedral".

Here is the Deck 7 Engineering Control Room from "Court Martial". You will notice that now there are three horizontal tubes behind the grating.

Since this upgrade is obvious, there is no reason to doubt that Stone was looking at an upgrade status chart and the still to perform upgrades on the Enterprise were not yet "complete".
Ah, now I see what you mean - you mean that it was likely many of the changes that we see in the sets were done at this particular instance?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 08:53 PM   #275
B.J.
Rear Admiral

^ The original Enterprise was named for CV-6, not CVN-65.
Old September 13 2013, 08:59 PM   #276
Robert Comsol
Commodore

They redressed the engine room in "The Conscience of the King" obviously to pass it as a different engine room (my guess: warp engine room). Part of the alteration was the addition of the third pipe they didn't remove when they shot the Engineering Control Room again for "Court-Martial". For the Season One engine room changes look here.

But "in-universe" it looks like an upgrade that could have been performed at Starbase 11 while simultaneously doing the repairs.
I can't imagine Kirk just turning the Enterprise in for an upgrade. It's probably standard procedure if a starship arrives for unscheduled but necessary repairs, that you seize the opportunity to also do any upgrades that might be required.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 09:03 PM   #277
Albertese
Commodore

B.J. wrote: View Post
Oh? I always thought it was CVN-65, which was just a couple years old when "The Cage" was made and represented the latest and greatest of USN technology. Wherewas it said that it was named for CV-6?

--Alex
Old September 13 2013, 09:26 PM   #278
Robert Comsol
Commodore

USS Enterprise (Yorktown Class) World War II is CV-6, USS Enterprise (Enterprise Class) post-WW II is CVN-65.

Bob
Old September 13 2013, 10:01 PM   #279
Mytran
Fleet Captain

No, not so obvious. The two pictures are taken from two different angles, and you can't see in the first one that the third tube isn't there. Is there another picture that shows the absence of the third tube?
Since the horizontal tubes are pretty much flush against the grating, different angles really wouldn't make that much difference. However, since you asked:

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...ithinhd455.jpg
http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...timehd0727.jpg

It's not as if the third tube is merely peeking through in this shot, either:
http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...rtialhd719.jpg
There is an additional gap about as wide as a 4th pipe!

Finally, I hope this pic shows the horizontal pipes' close proximity to the mesh:
http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...eseedhd790.jpg
Old September 13 2013, 10:03 PM   #280
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Albertese wrote: View Post
Oh? I always thought it was CVN-65, which was just a couple years old when "The Cage" was made and represented the latest and greatest of USN technology. Wherewas it said that it was named for CV-6?

--Alex
The Making of Star Trek, and several other sources. (The other sources may have been referencing TMoST, though.) If I remember right, CVN-65 may have been the latest and greatest at the time, but CV-6 had quite the illustrious history behind it.
Old September 14 2013, 04:41 AM   #281
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Interesting, I didn't remember that at all.

Still, I dig the parallel.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 12:09 PM   #282
BK613
Captain

^^IIRC it's CV-6 that is pictured on the TMP rec deck.
Old September 14 2013, 02:17 PM   #283
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Here is the screencap from TMP. Interesting to notice that the Enterprise on the right shows the TOS configuration and not the current / last shape of he TOS Enterprise as the refit version.

On the TNG conference lounge's sculpture wall it's definitely CVN-65.

Bob
Old September 14 2013, 07:04 PM   #284
J.T.B.
Commodore

The Making of Star Trek, and several other sources. (The other sources may have been referencing TMoST, though.) If I remember right, CVN-65 may have been the latest and greatest at the time, but CV-6 had quite the illustrious history behind it.
I don't doubt that's true, but damned if I can find it in TMoST. I did see carrier names discussed as other starship names, Forrestal mentioned wrt starship tonnage, and CVN-65 used for a size comparison diagram.

Not knowing the details of the name choice, "Enterprise" would seem to be a happy two-for-one: The storied lone survivor of the early carrier battles for WW2 appeal, and the new super-carrier much covered in the press for its revolutionary propulsion and being the largest mobile structure ever built.

BK613 wrote: View Post
^^IIRC it's CV-6 that is pictured on the TMP rec deck.
Quite right, though maybe we shouldn't assume those five images are the only ones ever displayed on those "screens."
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 08:14 PM   #285
Manticore
Rear Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
I don't doubt that's true, but damned if I can find it in TMoST. I did see carrier names discussed as other starship names, Forrestal mentioned wrt starship tonnage, and CVN-65 used for a size comparison diagram.

Not knowing the details of the name choice, "Enterprise" would seem to be a happy two-for-one: The storied lone survivor of the early carrier battles for WW2 appeal, and the new super-carrier much covered in the press for its revolutionary propulsion and being the largest mobile structure ever built.
Slight tangent, but I've often wondered how the navy at large feels about the NCC-1701 in relation the CV-6 or CVN-65. Do they feel that the starship Enterprise overshadows the real ships, or that her fame helps bring those famous ships' real feats to a greater audience?