RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,349
Posts: 5,354,332
Members: 24,619
Currently online: 628
Newest member: StarTrekSteve

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 13 2013, 06:05 PM   #316
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

What about Riker's snapping Shelby back so hard remark?
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 06:08 PM   #317
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
What about Riker's snapping Shelby back so hard remark?
To me that was just yet another example of Riker being a jerk to anyone outside of the command clique. Couple that with him clearly being jealous and/or feeling threatened by her, and she was unapologetic towards Riker's attitude towards outsiders because of her own ambitions and it was rather petty.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 07:27 PM   #318
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Riker wasn't threatening her with physical harm, he was threatening her with disciplinary action, which was his prerogative as her superior officer when she attempted to bypass him in the chain of command.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 07:31 PM   #319
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: Clone Club
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

"We're Starfleet, we don't Lie"

I'm glad Wesley got better as a character immediately after he said that.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 09:54 PM   #320
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
What about Riker's snapping Shelby back so hard remark?
R. Star wrote: View Post
To me that was just yet another example of Riker being a jerk to anyone outside of the command clique. Couple that with him clearly being jealous and/or feeling threatened by her, and she was unapologetic towards Riker's attitude towards outsiders because of her own ambitions and it was rather petty.
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Riker wasn't threatening her with physical harm, he was threatening her with disciplinary action, which was his prerogative as her superior officer when she attempted to bypass him in the chain of command.
Agreed. Riker wasn't going to hurt Shelby. He just wanted to remind her of her place because she wasn't following his orders. Both of them were out of line. It reminded me of the sniping between Kirk and Decker in TMP, a clear result of Kirk's leadership by arrogance approach that dominated the film.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 11:08 AM   #321
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
"We're Starfleet, we don't Lie"
A few years later, Wesley joins Starfleet, and lies. Sure learned his lesson
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 01:44 PM   #322
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

And Picard lectures him that the first duty of any Starfleet officer is to the truth...so Wesley wasn't wrong in the first place.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 03:47 PM   #323
CoveTom
Rear Admiral
 
Location: CoveTom
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Sran wrote: View Post
Agreed. Riker wasn't going to hurt Shelby. He just wanted to remind her of her place because she wasn't following his orders. Both of them were out of line. It reminded me of the sniping between Kirk and Decker in TMP, a clear result of Kirk's leadership by arrogance approach that dominated the film.

--Sran
How were both of them wrong? Shelby DID go outside the chain of command, which is a big deal in military situations. It wasn't as though Riker had done something illegal or horribly inappropriate that warranted going over his head. He had just rejected Shelby's suggestion. And in doing so had even promised that he would still make the Captain aware of it. For Shelby to run to Picard and say "Riker said no, so I want you to override him" was out of line, and Riker was well within his rights as her superior officer to put her in her place over it.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 04:25 PM   #324
Green Shirt
Commodore
 
Green Shirt's Avatar
 
Location: 21133
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned. Lazarus: "KILL, KILL, KILL!!"
__________________
Its not easy being green.
Green Shirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 04:42 PM   #325
1001001
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

CoveTom wrote: View Post
Sran wrote: View Post
Agreed. Riker wasn't going to hurt Shelby. He just wanted to remind her of her place because she wasn't following his orders. Both of them were out of line. It reminded me of the sniping between Kirk and Decker in TMP, a clear result of Kirk's leadership by arrogance approach that dominated the film.

--Sran
How were both of them wrong? Shelby DID go outside the chain of command, which is a big deal in military situations. It wasn't as though Riker had done something illegal or horribly inappropriate that warranted going over his head. He had just rejected Shelby's suggestion. And in doing so had even promised that he would still make the Captain aware of it. For Shelby to run to Picard and say "Riker said no, so I want you to override him" was out of line, and Riker was well within his rights as her superior officer to put her in her place over it.
Agreed. Riker didn't do anything wrong, IMHO.
__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 05:22 PM   #326
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

"When I was in my early twenties on a trip to East Africa, I saw a gazelle giving birth. It was truly amazing. Within minutes, the baby was standing up, standing up on its own. A few more minutes, and it was walking; and before I knew it, it was running alongside its mother, moving away with the herd. Humans aren't like that, Ambassador. We may come from the same planet as those gazelles, but we're pretty much helpless when we're born. It takes us months before we're able to crawl; almost a full year before we can walk. Our deep space mission isn't much different. We're going to stumble, make mistakes - I'm sure more than a few, before we find our footing. But we're going to learn from those mistakes. That's what being human is all about. I'm sorry you can't see that. "
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 05:34 PM   #327
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Not a bad line, just very corny;

"You're a woman, Natima, believe me, I know"

(Quark in "Profit and Loss")
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 08:48 PM   #328
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral
 
WillsBabe's Avatar
 
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

I just came into this thread but the other day watching First Contact I had to mute the sound just as Cochrane says, "And you people are all astronauts on some kind of star trek". I think the expression on Frakes' face behind him sums up my own feelings nicely.
__________________



WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 08:51 PM   #329
Sran
Fleet Captain
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
And Picard lectures him that the first duty of any Starfleet officer is to the truth...so Wesley wasn't wrong in the first place.
And to Picard's credit, he held Riker to the same standard two years later. He wasn't merely picking on Wesley because he was a cadet. He meant what he said.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 09:10 PM   #330
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain
 
Nightdiamond's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

Remember this scene? From Gambit Pt.1;

RIKER: I've got an open wound in here, it hurts like hell, and I don't want it to get better. I don't want to believe that everything's all right.

TROI: You're angry...

RIKER :You're damn right. And I intend to stay angry -- until I findwhoever's responsible for the Captain's death.

TROI:That's pretty selfish, Wil.(a beat as Riker is
taken aback)Do you think you're the only one in pain?

That you have a monopoly on loss? Well, I've got news for you! We're all hurting... we're all angry. And like it or not, you've got a responsibility to the crew! You can't just indulge your personal desire for revenge!

RIKER That's enough, Counselor.
This dialogue looks kind of like normal. It seems normal.

When you actually watch it, it doesn't come off as normal.

It comes off like a scene from a bad soap opera.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.