Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 13 2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Hando
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Hando Send a message via AIM to Hando Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Hando Send a message via Yahoo to Hando
Questions regarding The Eternal Tide [Here be spoilers]

Having decided on catching up on my reading I have finished The Eternal Tide, but it has left me wondering on several issues.

If I understand it correctly, in the pre-Endgame timeline Janeway used antichroniton-infused tachyons and basically eliminated the Q-continuum.
So why do the Qs still exist at all in the post-Endgame timeline?
Wouldn’t their non-existence have a profound effect on the Federation and the universe?
Also, why does q and Janeway still live/exist in the ST Online timeline/universe? Is it a completely different multiverse?

Did the thing with the Anschlasom happen in all the universes/timelines? Were the space-time breaches created in every universe?
Or do some remain safe?

What goes on in the universes/timelines at the same time as The Eternal Tide?
What about the other 2 or 3 future timelines we have seen on Voyager?
Or in those, were Janeway is not in charge, or something else is happening?
Old September 13 2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Re: Questions regarding The Eternal Tide [Here be spoilers]

Shrug.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey.

(Wrong show, I know, but it applies...)
Old September 13 2013, 08:39 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Questions regarding The Eternal Tide [Here be spoilers]

Hando wrote: View Post
Having decided on catching up on my reading I have finished The Eternal Tide, but it has left me wondering on several issues.

If I understand it correctly, in the pre-Endgame timeline Janeway used antichroniton-infused tachyons and basically eliminated the Q-continuum.
So why do the Qs still exist at all in the post-Endgame timeline?
Because Admiral Janeway went back in time and changed history, so the Q weren't eradicated. That's why the multiverse killed Janeway and created Afsarah Eden, as an alternate means of redressing the balance.
Wouldn’t their non-existence have a profound effect on the Federation and the universe?
Also, why does q and Janeway still live/exist in the ST Online timeline/universe? Is it a completely different multiverse?
Star Trek Online is totally unrelated to the novelverse, despite them borrowing a few novelverse characters and situations. They're separate real-life takes on what happened after Nemesis, not in-universe alternate realities (altho STO: The Needs of the Many does hint that they are alternate universes in an easter eggy kind of way)
Did the thing with the Anschlasom happen in all the universes/timelines? Were the space-time breaches created in every universe?
Or do some remain safe?
All I remember is that Janeway always dies. Even in one universe where whe never joins Starfleet, she slips in the tub and busts her head open. I suspect each universe created an Afsarah Eden or found some other way to redress the Q/Omega imbalance.
What goes on in the universes/timelines at the same time as The Eternal Tide?
What about the other 2 or 3 future timelines we have seen on Voyager?
Or in those, were Janeway is not in charge, or something else is happening?
Erm.... what Thrawn said.