Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old September 6 2013, 11:32 PM   #16
dansigal
Commander

Re: Stargate to receive movie reboot, trilogy planned

This from Gateworld:

A source told GateWorld that, while preliminary conversations are taking place between the producers and the studio, the project is not yet in development. The director’s comments indicate that the next step in the process is to hire a screenwriter. Any official production commitment from the studio would likely require at least a completed script that all parties are happy with.
Old September 8 2013, 07:10 PM   #17
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

IMO, Devlin and Emmerich kept trotting this out every once and a while during the runs of the various Stargate TV series in an attempt to draw attention from them and/or try to de-legitimize them in the eyes of fans of the original movie. Now, it's possible that they're just a bit delusional.
Old September 12 2013, 03:39 PM   #18
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Even if this was to happen, I wouldn't be excited. The original movie was pretty weak (although it was still better than Stargate Universe, which was barely a Stargate series) and SG-1 was what made the series as famous as it is, so I don't see how ignoring that would make for a good movie. Besides, after star trek, when I hear that a franchise I like is getting rebooted, I just can't think of it being any good. It could be done, but honestly I'd rather them just let the franchise stay dead.
First off, I don't think the Stargate movie was better than SGU but that's because I think SGU was the best of the entire franchise. Second, your position that you would rather see a franchise die to cling to your aging memories of them rather than see them continue in a rebooted mode just makes you nostalgic fanboy rather than someone who really has the best interest of a franchise at heart. Stargate is fast fading from public memory and Star Trek was also gradually slipping from public consciousness before the reboot sparked renewed interest.

I'd rather a franchise survive and grow than die because I may feel some angst about all my "accepted fantasy related" beliefs might be threatened or re-imagined. In fact, I find it odd that so many aging fans probably share such a childish reaction. But that's just me.
Old September 12 2013, 07:30 PM   #19
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

For a movie reboot, let's hope it is a good script, so there could be a trilogy with box office success.
Old September 12 2013, 07:59 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

I would rather see the TV version of the Stargate universe revived and continued. Not because I have any intrinsic objection to reboots, but because it's a very rich and broad universe and there's plenty of room for continuation or expansion. I'd still like to see a sequel series set after knowledge of the Stargates has become public, and explore how that affects human society.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Old September 13 2013, 02:54 AM   #21
AJ86
Captain

I'm attached to the lore and the characters, not the brand name. I couldn't care less about the health of the franchise if all it offers up is a reboot.
Old September 13 2013, 02:47 PM   #22
The Wormhole
Admiral

Given that all the costumes, props and set pieces have been sold at auctions, revisiting Stargate would essentially mean rebuilding from scratch. Sure that doesn't require them to reboot, but it could be a convincing enough argument to reboot all the same.
Old September 13 2013, 06:11 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer

Again, I've got nothing against reboots in principle. But if I were an MGM executive, I'd look at how much money Wright & Cooper's version of Stargate had made my company vs. how much money Devlin & Emmerich's version had made my company, so if I wanted someone to start up the franchise again, I'd call Wright first.

Old September 13 2013, 06:16 PM   #24
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Again, I've got nothing against reboots in principle. But if I were an MGM executive, I'd look at how much money Wright & Cooper's version of Stargate had made my company vs. how much money Devlin & Emmerich's version had made my company, so if I wanted someone to start up the franchise again, I'd call Wright first.
I would tell that executive how stupid that way of thinking is.
Comparing the money gained by 20 TV show seasons and 2 TV films to the money gained by 1 feature film.
Old September 13 2013, 07:45 PM   #25
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

KGator wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Even if this was to happen, I wouldn't be excited. The original movie was pretty weak (although it was still better than Stargate Universe, which was barely a Stargate series) and SG-1 was what made the series as famous as it is, so I don't see how ignoring that would make for a good movie. Besides, after star trek, when I hear that a franchise I like is getting rebooted, I just can't think of it being any good. It could be done, but honestly I'd rather them just let the franchise stay dead.
First off, I don't think the Stargate movie was better than SGU but that's because I think SGU was the best of the entire franchise. Second, your position that you would rather see a franchise die to cling to your aging memories of them rather than see them continue in a rebooted mode just makes you nostalgic fanboy rather than someone who really has the best interest of a franchise at heart. Stargate is fast fading from public memory and Star Trek was also gradually slipping from public consciousness before the reboot sparked renewed interest.

I'd rather a franchise survive and grow than die because I may feel some angst about all my "accepted fantasy related" beliefs might be threatened or re-imagined. In fact, I find it odd that so many aging fans probably share such a childish reaction. But that's just me.
Well, comparing it to Star Trek, I despise the star trek reboot. I also consider the reboot's existence more harmful to the franchise than if the franchise had just stayed dead, because now we'll almost certainly not get a real movie/series and instead get just this watered down action junk with the ST name for the forseeable future. Staying dead is a better alternative than a bunch of junk being released under a franchise's name. Because of that, I definately don't support a Stargate reboot, especially not in movie form and completely unrelated to SG-1. Best case scenario, its an good movie. Worst case, its terrible but sells well (like Transformers and JJTrek) and we get a continuing series of horrible stuff. What would actually happen if it gets made is probably somewhere in the middle of those two scenarios, but after star trek I can't support a reboot of anything, especially not of a sci fi series I really enjoy.
Old September 14 2013, 02:09 AM   #26
Harvey
Admiral

if I wanted someone to start up the franchise again, I'd call Wright first.
Looking at the ratings, which steadily declined during the last five years or so Wright was in charge of the franchise, I don't know if he'd be a prime candidate for the job. I mean, Rick Berman made Paramount a lot of money running Star Trek for 18 years, but the studio isn't going to put him in charge of the franchise now, either, because it also suffered from diminishing returns by the end of his tenure.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old September 14 2013, 02:29 AM   #27
Christopher
Writer

^But I was speaking of a choice between Wright and Emmerich, not Wright and someone new.

Old September 14 2013, 06:45 PM   #28
publiusr
Commodore

I might have the cast of the original movie, meet the cast of the series--an alternate universe type deal, with the explanation that one team's meambers had the same names, but not the same genetic code. Someone was trying to fix a timeline. If one party found the other dead, it might make for an awkward moment.

I always had this fantasy of a Jurrasic Park for actors. Vincent Price's clone would only be allowed to be adopted by persons in a certain place, and the clone reared well away from distractions.

So you have nice dead ringers adopted by movie fans, but it all becomes rather dark at the last.

That might work between the two casts of the Stargate film and series in some manner--were I to helm the picture...
Old September 14 2013, 11:05 PM   #29
DWF
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
if I wanted someone to start up the franchise again, I'd call Wright first.
Looking at the ratings, which steadily declined during the last five years or so Wright was in charge of the franchise, I don't know if he'd be a prime candidate for the job. I mean, Rick Berman made Paramount a lot of money running Star Trek for 18 years, but the studio isn't going to put him in charge of the franchise now, either, because it also suffered from diminishing returns by the end of his tenure.
SG1 was the highest rated show on Sci-Fi until Atlantis started up and season eight of SG1 was their highest rated season on Sci-Fi. Wright and Cooper left Atlantis for two seasons to develop Stargate Universe and it was Cooper who left during season two of Universe.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
Old September 14 2013, 11:07 PM   #30
Harvey
Admiral

All information I am aware of, and nothing that contradicts my point.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.