Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 13 2013, 12:44 PM   #166
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: What Happens After Death

General feeling is that it's finite but boundless. But don't quote me on that.
Old September 13 2013, 01:04 PM   #167
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

There is no way to prove it's not boundless, but what if it wasn't? What would happen when a universe bumps into another?

Last edited by bbjeg; September 13 2013 at 04:35 PM.
bbjeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 05:33 PM   #168
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Since there is no evidence of "other" universes except as a very tentative theoretical explanation for some weird quirks of cosmology, I'm rather certain the answer is "fuck me if we know".
Old September 13 2013, 08:33 PM   #169
Captrek
Rear Admiral

bbjeg wrote: View Post
There is no way to prove it's not boundless, but what if it wasn't? What would happen when a universe bumps into another?
The Big Bang, according to one theory.

We can't currently prove that the universe is boundless, but someday we might. In fact, according to an episode of Through the Wormhole, at least one scientist believes he has found such proof. I'm not sure of the details, but something to do with patterns in the Cosmic Background Radiation that look the same in opposite directions, suggesting not only that the universe is finite and boundless, but also that it's not much larger (about 20% larger) than the observable universe.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 11:28 PM   #170
publiusr
Commodore

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Heh, the continuity problem is why I find the prospect of Star Trek-style transporters horrifying.
That wouldn't bother me so much, especially if I could make copies of myself at the other end. I would die if I could know that there would be, say, one of me in every field of research. A version of me who studied different kinds of music--a "me" for every task.

At the end of life, a library of me would be downloaded. All this for the price of instant vaporization.

I would walk to my end in a booth in a moment, and not hesitate, knowing my worldview would go on, my interests, my whimsey.

It beats it winding down due to the age and poverty which afflict me now.

Irrelevance is worse than death.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 04:56 AM   #171
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

publiusr wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Heh, the continuity problem is why I find the prospect of Star Trek-style transporters horrifying.
That wouldn't bother me so much, especially if I could make copies of myself at the other end. I would die if I could know that there would be, say, one of me in every field of research. A version of me who studied different kinds of music--a "me" for every task.

At the end of life, a library of me would be downloaded. All this for the price of instant vaporization.

I would walk to my end in a booth in a moment, and not hesitate, knowing my worldview would go on, my interests, my whimsey.

It beats it winding down due to the age and poverty which afflict me now.

Irrelevance is worse than death.
It would be like just closing your eyes and then opening then again from the point of view of the copy.

When you think about it maybe that's what happens when you go to sleep. The "current you" is only you for a few hours, then a copy of you restored when you wake up.
Old September 14 2013, 05:32 AM   #172
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Except there's not continuity problem when it comes to sleep, because the brain is active the entire time.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 07:28 AM   #173
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^Except there's not continuity problem when it comes to sleep, because the brain is active the entire time.
But consciousness is not.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 07:59 AM   #174
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Can we prove that there is no awareness during sleep? Maybe we just don't remember it. There is certainly a form of awareness when dreaming, and it is mostly forgotten by the time we wake. Is it possible that there is also a forgotten awareness when not dreaming?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 02:45 PM   #175
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

bbjeg wrote: View Post
What would happen when a universe bumps into another?
According to The Ekpyrotic model, it creates a new universe.

http://www.phschool.com/science/scie...s_collide.html

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 06:20 PM   #176
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
So? Your state of consciousness varies widely throughout the entire day, whether you are awake or asleep. The continuous narrative of consciousness that we presume is largely an illusion. The brain is intact, active, and functioning at different levels of consciousness while you sleep. It learns, it remembers, it thinks, it has ideas, it comprehends the passage of time. Ultimately, you are less conscious than you think you are while you are awake, and more conscious than you think you are while you are asleep. There really aren't that many major differences between sleeping and waking brains, and there certainly isn't a continuity problem.

View my art!
Old September 14 2013, 06:56 PM   #177
publiusr
Commodore

I remember getting wisdom teeth extracted, and it was as if I just didn't exist. I have never had such a null feeling. I don't know if you can really tell if you are sleeping, but it isn't the same as dead. And even when under, I somehow was guided to my feet to a waiting room to wake up--even though I don't remember it.

There have been times where I felt as if I were going to sleep too fast, and would wake up, and drift to sleep more slowly.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 07:03 PM   #178
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Exactly. Anesthesia is a much better analogy to the continuity problem than sleep. It is a very different experience to sleeping. It's still not a perfect comparison, though, because the physical brain never ceases to exist.

View my art!
Old September 14 2013, 10:35 PM   #179
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Since there is no evidence of "other" universes except as a very tentative theoretical explanation for some weird quirks of cosmology, I'm rather certain the answer is "fuck me if we know".
This!
Old September 16 2013, 05:05 PM   #180
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^Pooling ideas are fine but I think that's the overall message that's being said.
bbjeg is online now   Reply With Quote