TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 12 2013, 02:58 AM   #196
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: And now The Newsroom....

I'm pretty sure Aaron Sorkin said that Sandy Hook will not be in season 2, they already had season 2 planned before it happened.

And honestly I really hope they just ignore it. I live 50 miles away and watched the local news crew just completely break down on live TV, I think one of them threw up with her microphone on.

I don't need a TV episode based on that.
Old September 12 2013, 04:28 AM   #197
Data Holmes
Admiral

I think it will be in season three, if for no other reason than Sorkin loves to push the gun issue. I think he's had an anti-gun story line in every show he has done.
Old September 13 2013, 03:29 PM   #198
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Eh... not a great episode. Mixing the election coverage in with the Genoa story just muddies both. They mixed a fake story in with a real story, which makes the fake story feel less meaningful, and they made the real story less entertaining than it actually was. The episode just didn't work for me.

SLOAN: Yeah, but this [book crap] is important.
No it's not.

CHARLIE: Our elections are the envy of the world.
American elections make for entertaining political theatre, but I certainly wouldn't want anything of the sort in my country.

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Also: Dollars to donuts the season finale will be about or include in some way the mass killings at Sandy Hook.
Well, the season finale is called Election Night, Part 2... so I doubt it.

Oh, and I stumbled across this: Why The Newsroom isn't the greatest show on television. It spends a little too long talking about ratings figures, and I think Olivia Munn has actually been one of the better actors on the show, but I otherwise agree with it.
Old September 13 2013, 04:00 PM   #199
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Agreed. Poor Charlie has taken so many hits lately, I don't think he really fully understands what he's saying anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I am proud to be an American, but there are LOTS of things we could do better - elections are definitely one of them. In a country which invented the practice and term of "gerrymandering", and allegations of electioneering and other illegal practices run rampant from both sides of the political spectrum, broken and/or hacked digital voting machines, idiots like Marrion Barry who keep somehow getting re-elected and even bigger idiots like "Carlos Danger" Weeeener who THINK they can get re-elected prove that the scenes they showed are NOT people envying and/or emulating the American political process, but MOCKING it.
Old September 15 2013, 12:38 AM   #200
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Meh, it's just Sorkin being Sorkin. His sort of patriotism is a hallmark of the West Wing as well. I do find it a little much sometimes but then again, I'm very unpatriotic, even by my country's standards while in the US, it gets cranked up to 11.

While the US elections may not be "the envy of the world" exactly, they're certainly being followed by many people around the world (in earnest, not mocking it) due to the importance of the US in global politics. If you're patriotically minded you'll probably take some pride in that.
Old September 15 2013, 02:49 PM   #201
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Agreed. Poor Charlie has taken so many hits lately, I don't think he really fully understands what he's saying anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I am proud to be an American, but there are LOTS of things we could do better - elections are definitely one of them. In a country which invented the practice and term of "gerrymandering", and allegations of electioneering and other illegal practices run rampant from both sides of the political spectrum, broken and/or hacked digital voting machines, idiots like Marrion Barry who keep somehow getting re-elected and even bigger idiots like "Carlos Danger" Weeeener who THINK they can get re-elected prove that the scenes they showed are NOT people envying and/or emulating the American political process, but MOCKING it.
I wouldn't say they're mocking it, American elections do garner a great deal of interest throughout the world due to how influential the US is. I myself stayed up until 6am last year to watch the results of the Presidential election live, but I am a bit of an election junkie. Like I said, it makes for great political theatre.

But it's a two party system with almost no viable third parties, the electoral college is questionable at best, the rise of SuperPACs and the like is worrying, the level of political advertising is insane, basic things like voter registration are partisan, and the election process lasts the better part of a year. There's plenty to like about America, and I do admire some aspects of your political system, but I don't imagine you'll find many first-world democracies clamouring to make our elections more like yours.

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Meh, it's just Sorkin being Sorkin. His sort of patriotism is a hallmark of the West Wing as well.
True, it did happen on The West Wing as well. But it is strange for a show which started with an impassioned rant about how the US isn't the greatest country in the world to veer into this sort of romantic patriotism. But I guess that's the real Sorkin showing through.
Old September 15 2013, 09:53 PM   #202
Count Zero
Decidedly something

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Count Zero wrote: View Post
Meh, it's just Sorkin being Sorkin. His sort of patriotism is a hallmark of the West Wing as well.
True, it did happen on The West Wing as well. But it is strange for a show which started with an impassioned rant about how the US isn't the greatest country in the world to veer into this sort of romantic patriotism. But I guess that's the real Sorkin showing through.
It was showing even then. Will said that the US wasn't the greatest country in the world anymore. A section of his monologue was dedicated to glorifying a past America with a well-informed public debate that never existed which is very Sorkin.
And the first season also ended on a patriotic note with Sorority girl asking her question again and Will answering, "you do." I really liked that scene. You got to hand it to Sorkin, he can do those patriotic moments really well.
Old September 16 2013, 08:47 PM   #203
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Well, that was awesome. I had tears in my eyes when Will and Mac finally got together.
Old September 16 2013, 09:30 PM   #204
Data Holmes
Admiral

I loved Sloan constantly getting cut off and the her and don stuff. I loved the Reese and Charlie exchange. Overall a good season ender.
Old September 16 2013, 09:44 PM   #205
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Fucking aced the season finale. Great episode, I can't wait for season three!

I also love how I started out not really liking don when the series started, but he's been on fire this season. He's one of my favorites now.
Old September 17 2013, 03:00 AM   #206
Shanndee
Commodore

I agree Emher! I couldn't stand Don when the series began, now I can't wait to see him in a scene (I kind of had a similar journey with Hank on Breaking Bad).

I'm glad they resolved the Will/Mac tension (for the moment anyway!). I think they are one of the few TV couples who will just as much fun to watch together as they were apart.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2013, 01:54 PM   #207
Count Zero
Decidedly something

The scene with their annoucement was hilarious. "Mackenzie MacHale MacAvoy ... no, that won't work."
Old September 17 2013, 05:18 PM   #208
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

^That and Neil just going "What?!" in his happy goofy way

And I actually (yes, silly, I know) feared for a bit there that Emily Mortimer would leave the show. I would be devastated, I fucking love her.
Old September 17 2013, 06:07 PM   #209
Aldo
Admiral

Isn't there an issue now with Will and Mac marrying? Something along the lines of conflict of interest? It's all I could think about when they announced their engagement while Reese was still in the room. Heck that moment he said something to his mom during the celebration further made me think of this.

Not that I enjoyed the nice ending of the episode, but that was on the back of my mind. Perhaps it will be somewhere to go in Season 3?
Old September 18 2013, 06:27 AM   #210
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Why would it be a conflict of interest for an executive producer to be married to the lead talent of the show she produces?
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote