Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 12 2013, 09:27 PM   #16
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc
Re: What, or rather Who you won't be seeing in November

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Idiots at the BBC are really dropping the ball on the 50th.
or they don't want a repeat of the cluttered mess that was the 5 doctors.

Imagine trying to fit seven doctors in unless you went for simple cameos of Doctors 4 - 8.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 09:42 PM   #17
Tom
Rear Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post

Imagine trying to fit seven doctors in unless you went for simple cameos of Doctors 4 - 8.
The cluttered mess is only how the writers handle it, NOT the fact that there are multiple doctors. It comes down to screen time and how it is handled in the plot.
Old September 12 2013, 10:06 PM   #18
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Sorry, but the Five Doctors is a fine, fun story. And, who says you need to get all of the classic Doctors in?

Or maybe they should've thought bigger/more epic and do a multi-part anniversary special to fit in more?

It just reflects small thinking on the BBC's part. Imagine if they had tried to think big?

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 10:38 PM   #19
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I'm going to voice an unpopular opinion here.

I simply don't care that the pre-2006 Doctors are not part of the anniversary special. I don't know who decided not to involve them, but it doesn't matter; whoever made the decision had their reasons. Still, we don't need a parade of actors who once essayed the role to make a special that celebrates a half-century of Doctor Who.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 10:43 PM   #20
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Eh, I love the Five Doctors, and don't think it's a cluttered mess at all with 4 Doctors and their companions running around together.

I do believe 7, is too much, especially for only 75 minutes of screentime. My hope was, that it could be a Multi-episode story. I think it would've been pretty awesome to have one Doctor per episode with the Current Doctor for 6 episodes (Or maybe 2 for 3 episodes) and then a two-parter with all of them to bring it all together.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 11:23 PM   #21
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Yeah, the five doctors was too muddled. It was the only multi doctor story to have more than two doctors really (3 doctors just had 3&2 with cameos from 1, the two doctors had 6, and Time Crash had 5&10)
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 12:44 AM   #22
StCoop
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
we don't need a parade of actors who once essayed the role to make a special that celebrates a half-century of Doctor Who.
What do you need then? Paintings? A scarf? A(nother) return to Totters Lane? Bringing in a Zygon as a present for Tennant?

I've yet to hear or see anything to indicate that this isn't an 8th rather than 50th Anniversary story.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 01:28 AM   #23
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

I think cameos from the Fourth and Seventh Doctors could've been achieved - Davison already did return once in NuWho, and Colin Baker sadly just can't pass as a Sixth Doctor anymore. But the former two could've been arranged to have appeared - and you can bet everyone would've been excited for a Tom Baker re-appearence, no matter how miniscule.

And I maintain that Paul McGann could have very well had been part of the actual episode, regardless of the other Doctors. Of them all, he's aged the best.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 01:51 AM   #24
Lonemagpie
Writer

I simply don't care that the pre-2006 Doctors are not part of the anniversary special. I don't know who decided not to involve them, but it doesn't matter; whoever made the decision had their reasons. Still, we don't need a parade of actors who once essayed the role to make a special that celebrates a half-century of Doctor Who.
Like I always said, William Russell is the only person I'd think it was important to have in.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 02:40 AM   #25
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

StCoop, you have been cautioned in the past not to leech images. Please do not do it again.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 04:53 AM   #26
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I don't think there needs to be an explanation as to why they look older. The audience knows the actors are older and will go with it.
Well, yes and no. If they like the episode, they won't care at all. If they don't like the episode, this will be one of the reasons it was terrible. This is fandom. Small pointless nitpicky complaints are mountains, not molehills if its something they don't like.

However, since they won't care if they like the episode, the trick is to write a good episode and not bother to explain why they look older.

Anyway, they look like they're having fun together. It would have been cool to have them on screen, although I suspect the episode would be a bit of a mess. I do think the "think big" idea of having different episodes for each Doctor might have worked although I suspect the risk would outweigh the reward.
Old September 13 2013, 05:24 AM   #27
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post

Like I always said, William Russell is the only person I'd think it was important to have in.
I have to agree with this. While I'm saddened that none of the classic Doctors won't be appearing (especially Paul McGann), I think the most important who needed to return is William Russell. Yes, he'll have a cameo in An Adventure in Space and Time, but as I've said many times before, it would've been very interesting to see an old Ian meet a young-looking Doctor. This will be my greatest disappointment.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 01:46 PM   #28
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post

I agree, it would be nice for him to appear. And, there are indications that it might just happen. However, I don't think he's more important than having the classic Doctors appear.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 02:19 PM   #29
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

I would go so far as to say Susan would be more important than Ian.
Old September 13 2013, 02:25 PM   #30
Starkers
Admiral

If third caveman from the right isn't in it then Moffat's off my christmas card list!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote