RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,699
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 647
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 9 2013, 10:26 PM   #16
Green Lantern
Captain

Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

Good on them. Would a cameo or two really hurt? It would keep the fans happy and the BBC (near enough). Besides, the BBC are wankers. At least Paul McGann at the very minimum. Sylvester would still do it. I think Colin unfortunately is too far gone to return without them using the same excuse in time crash. Would be funny to hear some of the doctors "bully" him though.

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Surely the placards are a photoshop add-on? Don't tell me Peter and Colin were really outside the BBC protesting like Fathers Ted and Dougal outside that cinema? 'Careful now!' 'Down with this sort of thing!'
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 01:44 AM   #17
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Really, McGann as the Eighth is STILL feasible. But obviously the BBC didn't want attention drawn to the TV Movie, for whatever reason.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 07:12 AM   #18
Mitty
Vice Admiral

Dear Lord.

Old September 10 2013, 07:27 AM   #19
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Why don't they have "the Doctor" bump into all of 8's companions from all the other media in one of the new TV episodes/specials?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 07:42 AM   #20
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Jesus wept - does anyone actually think they were protesting? Outside a building that closed over six months ago?

It will be a tongue-in-cheek thing that is being recorded for the 50th celebrations.
Exactly my thought. Though I would have put them in costume for the extra amusement factor.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 08:11 AM   #21
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Jesus wept - does anyone actually think they were protesting? Outside a building that closed over six months ago?

It will be a tongue-in-cheek thing that is being recorded for the 50th celebrations.
Exactly my thought. Though I would have put them in costume for the extra amusement factor.
Davison is wearing his jumper (I think).
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:39 AM   #22
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

After seeing the actors in the 50th Anniversary documentaries they just look to old to play the Doctor anymore (besides maybe McGann since we don't know how old he is when he regenerates).

I don't really consider this to be like Spock on TNG or the new Trek movies where the character is older, so it makes sense that an older Leonard Nemoy plays the character again. The Doctor looks a certain way when he regenerates and when the actor is 20-30 years older it just isn't going to work. Peter Davidson looked pretty old in Time Crash and they have to come with a reason he looked so much older.

I do think it would be cool to bring back some of the older Doctor actors as different characters though at some point. Look at Enterprise as an example, season 4 had Brent Spiner, Johnathan Franks and Marina Sirtis. Brent Spiner's roll was pretty awesome as an ancestor of the creator of Data. Johnathan Franks and Marina Sirtis just looked old when they were trying to play their TNG characters. Given the age of the actors it would of been much better if they were on the Enteprise E or Riker's ship for that episode.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 02:38 PM   #23
The Wormhole
Admiral

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
Johnathan Franks and Marina Sirtis just looked old when they were trying to play their TNG characters. Given the age of the actors it would of been much better if they were on the Enteprise E or Riker's ship for that episode.
Indeed, having it be about Riker having just taken command of the Titan and seeking command advice from a Jonathan Archer holoprogram would still have its logic problems but would have made much more since that Riker turning to Jonathan Archer to help him sort through the events of The Pegasus.
Old September 10 2013, 02:57 PM   #24
Starkers
Admiral

Anyone taking command advice from Archer seems a stretch...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 05:03 PM   #25
The Wormhole
Admiral

I agree. I just think that if they felt for whatever reason the series had to end with Riker consulting with holographic Captain Archer it would have made more sense if it were post-Nemesis. Not only is it better than trying to sandwich things into an episode where Riker shouldn't have had very much free time, you don't have the added distraction of Frakes and Sirtis looking eleven years older than they should.
Old September 11 2013, 03:07 AM   #26
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

They're in it. They've got to be. I can't imagine that they actually WOULDN'T be in it. Moffat, for whatever one thinks about him, is still a total fanboy and I think he would've gotten a few more Doctors in there somehow. Plus, didn't McGann film something recently that everyone assumed would be the BBC America 8th Doctor retrospective, yet he wasn't on that? So it must've been a 50th cameo.

Unless that was a rumor.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 03:55 AM   #27
The Wormhole
Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
They're in it. They've got to be. I can't imagine that they actually WOULDN'T be in it. Moffat, for whatever one thinks about him, is still a total fanboy and I think he would've gotten a few more Doctors in there somehow. Plus, didn't McGann film something recently that everyone assumed would be the BBC America 8th Doctor retrospective, yet he wasn't on that? So it must've been a 50th cameo.

Unless that was a rumor.
That was a rumour.
Old September 13 2013, 12:18 PM   #28
StCoop
Commodore

Tom Baker has been shooting stuff for this in London this morning, in full costume and with what looks like one of the BBCs Police Box props.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/wp-cont...ming-2013b.jpg
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 04:05 PM   #29
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

To add more fuel to the fire, Peter Davison claims to have a copy of the script for "The Day of The Doctor" with his name embossed on it. Of course, as io9 muses, this probably means he was simply given a copy of it as a gift and/or he's winding up the fans because that's the kind of thing Davison would do.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 04:17 PM   #30
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Emh wrote: View Post
To add more fuel to the fire, Peter Davison claims to have a copy of the script for "The Day of The Doctor" with his name embossed on it. Of course, as io9 muses, this probably means he was simply given a copy of it as a gift and/or he's winding up the fans because that's the kind of thing Davison would do.
It would be a collectible, I'd think. Scripts aren't embossed because they're meant to be used.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote