IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 12 2013, 11:43 PM   #31
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Rolling Stone Magazine calls for the return of TNG to TV

Rarewolf wrote: View Post

By that reason why does anyone employ him for audio work?
There's a huge difference between long term employment over at least a season's worth of work and a small part as Emperor Septim in a popular game franchise.
Old September 13 2013, 12:58 AM   #32
mythme
Commodore

Stewart does voices on Family Guy and is a very regular character on American Dad.
Old September 13 2013, 01:51 AM   #33
R. Star
Rear Admiral

And I daresay Family Guy and American Dad has a bigger viewer base, and thus budget. Not to mention their animation is significantly cheaper.
Old September 13 2013, 02:13 AM   #34
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

R. Star wrote: View Post
And I daresay Family Guy and American Dad has a bigger viewer base, and thus budget. Not to mention their animation is significantly cheaper.
How exactly would their animation be "significantly cheaper"?
Old September 13 2013, 02:15 AM   #35
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Because there's a higher demand for elaborate graphics and quality effects in Star Trek that doesn't exist in the comedy cartoons.
Old September 13 2013, 02:37 AM   #36
BillJ
Admiral

Because there's a higher demand for elaborate graphics and quality effects in Star Trek that doesn't exist in the comedy cartoons.
Have you actually watched current episodes of Family Guy or American Dad? The animation is quite elaborate and quite a bit of CGI is used as well. We'd be lucky if they spent the money spent on those shows for a Trek animated series.

In 2009 they cost roughly $2 and $1 million dollars an episode respectively.
Old September 13 2013, 04:57 AM   #37
VOODOOXI
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
VOODOOXI wrote: View Post
With all due respect, nobody is really going to care about an animated series except die hards who visit sites like this...I think that TNG's return (with some younger cast members) from a commercial point of view is a no brainier.
No it's not. Sorry.

When they went out, the general public no longer cared about them. You're thinking with your heart not your head.
I agree to a certain point, but the biggest reason they didn't go out on top was a series of terrible films combined with franchise fatigue...TNG was not made for theatrical films.

On the other hand their ratings in syndication were unprecedented. TNG may not be as iconic as TOS, but the program does have a huge following.

When one mentions Star Trek, the vast majority of people think TOS or TNG. The general public simply does not care about anything else, thus you have a built in audience.

Wouldn't a studio prefer a modern version of TNG (old cast mixed with young actors) that has a strong brand recognition rather than roll the dice on a series that is unfamiliar to the general public and the only recognizable thing is the name Star Trek? It didn't work for the last three series.

To further my point, when the film franchise was in trouble tptb didn't go to new characters, they went to the most iconic characters in the series (Kirk, Spock etc.) and brought back the some of the old guard (Leonard Nimoy) to re-energize the once powerful fan base...A few years later the ST film franchise is stronger than ever...A modern version of TNG would do the same thing for the tv franchise.
VOODOOXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 08:09 AM   #38
MikeS
Fleet Captain

As long as we have fans screming about "ze canonz" and slating writers that dare to shake things up, a series set in the "primeline" will never work. Canon is as restrictive as Rodenberry's box was.

With the advent of NuTrek we should hope to see Trek become more like Holmes, Batman or Jesus - iconic characters and settings ripe for the reimagining. I think a NuTNG with new actors might work. New slants on Q, the Borg et al. They don't even have to give us some poxy reasoning about red matter and changes to the timeline - it's simply similar stories told differently.
Old September 13 2013, 12:41 PM   #39
Trek Survivor
Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
^ While I do see the point you're making, I do also think that TAS has led to a lot in Trek fandom getting concerned about any animated foray into the franchise. In other words, there is definitely a contingent within the fandom whose sole experience with Star Trek in animated form "burnt their fingers", so to speak, and so they are therefore understandably reluctant to see the franchise ever try that particular medium again.

There are many people who won't be able to see that Trek could work very well in animation, until such time as somebody actually does and proves the point.
With all due respect, nobody is really going to care about an animated series except die hards who visit sites like this...I think that TNG's return (with some younger cast members) from a commercial point of view is a no brainier.
Star Trek: The Animated Series was made 40 years ago, by a company (Filmation) well known for recycling animation footage as much as possible.

If Trek fans are stupid enough to let something made that long ago blind them to the potential of a new animated series...I don't know what to say!

And, done right, I don't think a new Trek cartoon show would be limited to just existing Trek fans. In fact, I suspect a lot of existing Trek fans might snobbily dismiss it in any case.

No, I think a new animated show could find a younger generation of fans. Of course, it would be a bit more action-orientated (and I know some fans wail and gnash teeth when they see that phrase) but that doesn't mean it still can't have all the other elements we know and love about Trek.
Old September 13 2013, 01:04 PM   #40
Halmirdax
Lieutenant Commander

It'd be amazing if it did get back on TV, but how likely that is to happen remains to be seen. The films have been great but it's not the same as the weekly episodes.
Patrick Stewart does look pretty much the same but it'd be great for it to move onwards, I'd rather see a new series. It wouldn't be the same to try and drag TNG with different writers and so on.
Old September 13 2013, 02:03 PM   #41
Lance
Commodore

Trek Survivor wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
^ While I do see the point you're making, I do also think that TAS has led to a lot in Trek fandom getting concerned about any animated foray into the franchise. In other words, there is definitely a contingent within the fandom whose sole experience with Star Trek in animated form "burnt their fingers", so to speak, and so they are therefore understandably reluctant to see the franchise ever try that particular medium again.

There are many people who won't be able to see that Trek could work very well in animation, until such time as somebody actually does and proves the point.
Star Trek: The Animated Series was made 40 years ago, by a company (Filmation) well known for recycling animation footage as much as possible.

If Trek fans are stupid enough to let something made that long ago blind them to the potential of a new animated series...I don't know what to say!

And, done right, I don't think a new Trek cartoon show would be limited to just existing Trek fans. In fact, I suspect a lot of existing Trek fans might snobbily dismiss it in any case.

No, I think a new animated show could find a younger generation of fans. Of course, it would be a bit more action-orientated (and I know some fans wail and gnash teeth when they see that phrase) but that doesn't mean it still can't have all the other elements we know and love about Trek.
Let's look at it this way: Trek fans often seem to hold up TAS as a reason why animated Trek "won't work". But... well, The Clones Wars has been moderately successful, and the fact that Star Wars had it's fair share of cheesy cartoons in the 1980s didn't do anything to harm that success.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 06:25 PM   #42
Flake
Commodore

Nope.

We are now at the TOS equivalent of 1992. It would be like asking the TOS cast to return to a weekly TV show a year after TUC!

Animated series, Season 8 on the Enterprise D. Now THAT I would watch!!
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 07:20 PM   #43
Insp.LeStrange
Rear Admiral

I can see it now....

Star Trek: CGI Teen Vampire Unit

Insp.LeStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 07:26 PM   #44
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

There was rumours of a TOS mini-series for the 30th Anniversary, but well, those were rumours. An Excelisor based TVM could have worked, as Flashback showed.

I think a Titan or Captain Worf show would work better than TNG ani8. It would be going forward, more than a stopgap slotted in before Generations.

One of the fun things with Clone Wars was seeing the many alien races faithfully recreated in CGI and given personalities.

A post TNG Animated series could have cameos from the Enterprise E crew, DS9, Voyager, even TOS in the Holodeck.

Rarewolf wrote: View Post

By that reason why does anyone employ him for audio work?
There's a huge difference between long term employment over at least a season's worth of work and a small part as Emperor Septim in a popular game franchise.
I think if they bought Picard back and snubed Patrick, would not be a good way to introduce their show, it wouldn't go down well with the fans, or I dare say other actors.
Old September 13 2013, 07:32 PM   #45
BillJ
Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post

Animated series, Season 8 on the Enterprise D. Now THAT I would watch!!
I think TNG would be as out of place in animation as it was on the big screen.