RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,688
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 519
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 12 2013, 03:34 PM   #16
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Favourite Warp Effect...

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT's warp effects always annoyed me. The stars streak past way too quickly to be in any way realistic.
Think of it as an optical illusion created by multiple layers of subspace distortion. Many of those stars aren't really there, IMO.
And the elastic band/Q poof jump just doesn't work for me. What is that flash of light supposed to be and where does it come from?
A brief, but very powerful, rip into subspace.
Old September 12 2013, 03:43 PM   #17
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I've grown to like the DS9/VOY warp. There's a slight enough difference from the TNG warp that, to me, can be pointed out -- the TNG warp is more stretchy for sure, but there are some shots where Defiant/Voyager is more streaky than stretchy, so it's like an improved version of the TNG warp, and with a touch of TOS movie warp thrown in for good mix.

Ultimately, though, i still wish that XI & XII had the warp flash at the end. Yes, I agree that it sounds powerful, and the tunnel reminds me of slipstream/transwarp conduits, but to me the warp flash could add to the boom of their warp bursts.
Old September 12 2013, 05:17 PM   #18
Richard Baker
Commander

I did not care for the artificial tube of lights in TMP, but the look of the ship as it went to warp with the lighting being left behind for a few moments- perfect for superluminal acceleration.
The rubber-band stretch effect did not do much for me- a warp field should distort space-time, not he ship that is generating it. My favorite TNG warp jump was when Wesley was watching it from Ten Forward.
STID with the pixie-dust trails just looks stupid IMO
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 06:05 PM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
STID with the pixie-dust trails just looks stupid IMO
I think the "pixie-dust" is irradiated particles left in the wake of the ship going to warp.
Old September 12 2013, 06:12 PM   #20
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Richard Baker wrote: View Post
The rubber-band stretch effect did not do much for me- a warp field should distort space-time, not he ship that is generating it.
For an outside observer, the ship gets warped.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 06:40 PM   #21
Maurice
Vice Admiral

The particle trail in STID was added in part because of the film being in 3D and they felt they needed to do something to create some depth in the shot when the ship shot away.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 06:46 PM   #22
VXX
Lieutenant

i kind of like the elastic band effect
VXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 07:13 PM   #23
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

Definitely another vote for the new movies' effect, minus the pixie dust. I'll always have a nostalgic place in my heart for the TNG style though.
Andymator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 08:07 PM   #24
Smellmet
Commander

Having watched that youtube link again, the effect in ST09 has really grown on me, I love the subtle trail of light the fleet leaves behind while Sulu's busy cocking up engaging warp on the enterprise, makes the effect in STID look really cheesy
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 08:46 PM   #25
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I'm either going to be very pleased or very sorry for making everyone start using the term pixie dust here...
Old September 12 2013, 09:05 PM   #26
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
I'm either going to be very pleased or very sorry for making everyone start using the term pixie dust here...
Says the poster with the My Little Pony avatar
Old September 13 2013, 12:28 AM   #27
R. Star
Rear Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT's warp effects always annoyed me. The stars streak past way too quickly to be in any way realistic.
Think of it as an optical illusion created by multiple layers of subspace distortion. Many of those stars aren't really there, IMO.
Well given the light given off by a star is displaced by however many light years away you are from it, I always sorta justified the many stars streaking by, by maybe they're passing the displaced light of the same star multiple times.
Old September 13 2013, 03:32 AM   #28
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT's warp effects always annoyed me. The stars streak past way too quickly to be in any way realistic. And the elastic band/Q poof jump just doesn't work for me. What is that flash of light supposed to be and where does it come from?
I just rewatched Into Darkness, and there are streaking stars during warp, particularly with the warp "tunnel" when the Vengeance is chasing the Enterprise. Kind of hard to see because of the different shades of blue, black, and white, but they're there. Perhaps to your annoyance, the stars streak by *much* faster and quicker than TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT ever did
Old September 13 2013, 04:20 AM   #29
Caesar753
Commander

The TNG era stretch and flash warp is my favorite by far. Maybe its because that is the first warp sequence I ever saw, but for me a jump to warp needs a stretch and flash.
Caesar753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 04:36 AM   #30
Marlonius
Lieutenant Junior Grade

End of TWoK for me, all the way. In general, I like TWoK's warp effects the best. It's got the slitscan look like TMP, but without the overly cartoon looking tube effect of the first film.

Plus that particular scene has the biggest emotional payoff of any warp scene I've ever seen.
Marlonius is offline   Reply With Quote