Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 21 2013, 08:05 AM   #1216
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2
Re: Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

I am displeased that this is the way it's going to be done. I was hoping that he would be in and out so that it wasn't that he was just gone. I understand that Donald Glover wants to focus on his Childish Gambino stuff, but I really wish it was more of the 5 episodes full time, then cameos or one scene an ep for the rest of the season.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 03:29 PM   #1217
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Having a cameo is just too much. He only wants to do 5 and be done, and cameos filmed ahead of time wouldn't work out.

If they wanted to he was under contract. He was going to have another show but I don't think it got picked up, and the other show he could only have done if Community was canceled. This really should be the last season, just make him stay and end the show.
Old July 23 2013, 09:51 AM   #1218
Pingfah
Admiral

I have been checking out Glover's stuff. It's bloody weird seeing him perform such serious downbeat stuff.

Quite like some of it though.

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2013, 03:23 PM   #1219
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Jonathan Banks (Mike from Breaking Bad) is joining the cast for 11 of the 13 episodes. He'll be playing a criminology professor.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/08/20/jo...bad-community/
Old August 22 2013, 11:20 PM   #1220
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Jonathan Banks (Mike from Breaking Bad) is joining the cast for 11 of the 13 episodes. He'll be playing a criminology professor.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/08/20/jo...bad-community/
Great! I thought you were going to say he was taking Chevy's spot in the study group, which would not have sucked. But regardlss of the part, I imagine Banks' dry delivery will be a very good fit.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 04:01 AM   #1221
shivkala
Rear Admiral

John Oliver will be back as Professor Duncan according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The Daily Show correspondent John Oliver will return to Greendale Community College for a multi-episode arc, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 04:03 AM   #1222
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

If Jonathan Banks' performance on Community is anything like his performance as Sr Wyatt on Parks & Rec it'll be amazing.

Great to see John Oliver back.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 04:09 AM   #1223
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
"We're a Twizzler's family."
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 07:12 AM   #1224
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

Yay! Glad that Professor Duncan will return!

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 10:39 PM   #1225
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

tighr wrote: View Post
gblews wrote: View Post
I don't see any chemistry between Jeff and Abed, but all the other regular cast have chemistry with each other.
I think they could make an effort to have more scenes with Jeff and Abed, as there have been a lack of them. They certainly could have more chemistry if the opportunity arises.
The tricky thing about Jeff/Abed interactions is that Abed requires a bit more patience than most of the characters. And Jeff is so often defined by his complete lack of patience for other people. That's why it's been rare for there to be many Jeff/Abed episodes, or even Jeff/Abed scenes. (I'm thinking of the end of "Contemporary American Poultry," the end of "Critical Film Studies," "Introduction to Film," and the Jeff/Abed-in-Troy's-body stuff in "Basic Human Anatomy.")

Garrett is the fat guy with the pale skin and weird voice (which apparently is is real voice, and not an act).

Todd is the guy who was accused of murdering the yam. He is the married war veteran who is trying to get a college degree. He is also weird.
He's also a diabetic.

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Jim Rash was a great character until season 4 came along and they decided to make him an exaggerated predatorial gay steroetype. Hopefully Dan Harmon brings him back to the needy insecure litigiphobic bearaucrat who was also homosexual he was in the first three seasons.
I suspect "homosexual" is a gross oversimplification of Dean Pelton's orientation.

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
So he'll be in 5 out of 13 episodes. He couldn't work another 8 weeks (2 months) to finish off the season?
Yeah. It's kinda like Red Dwarf Series VII where Chris Barrie only did half the season. He only ended up being gone for 4 episodes, so what was the point of leaving?

shivkala wrote: View Post
A friend just asked me if there was any worthwhile episodes from season 4. They were a fan of the first 3 seasons, but didn't watch it this past season.

In my opinion, I'd say that "Conventions of Space and Time" (she's a Doctor Who fan), ""Herstory of Dance," and "Basic Human Anatomy" were pretty decent (not great, but decent).

I'm on the fence about "Heroic Origins" and "Advanced Introduction to Finality." On one hand, I'm a sucker for interconnected origins (yes, I loved Lost, in part for seeing how everyone was connected) and it was nice to see a continuation of the darkest timeline story. On the other hand, "Heroic Origins" seemed forced and "Advanced Introduction to Finality" killed the darkest timeline in a way that possibly ruins "Remedial Chaos Theory."
I really liked "Heroic Origins" & "Advanced Introduction to Finality." I don't think it kills the darkest timeline at all. I think it's just a sweet example of how Jeff has changed over the years. Old Jeff would never have gone quite so deeply into an elaborate fantasy like that. And the whole thing was just for Jeff's own mental benefit anyway.

I thought that Season 4 was mostly worth it. It was a little rocky for the 1st half. "Conventions of Space & Time" was really the only episode from the 1st half that's up to the quality of the 1st 3 seasons. "Alternative History of the German Invasion" was also OK. But I think the show found its groove again once it got to "Herstory of Dance." (Personal trivia: I'd never heard of Sophie B. Hawkins before this. Now, I made sure to buy one of her albums.) And "Basic Human Anatomy" is not only a funny episode but also has a great deal of heart to it.

I generally say good riddance to Pierce. He didn't really have anything to contribute to the show after Season 2. But, occasionally, I'd see brief glimpses of the Pierce I actually kinda liked from Season 1. I liked how he helped Britta in "Herstory of Dance." (Of course, just generally, I've been very annoyed with how they started turning Britta into the Meg of the show starting in Season 3.) I also liked that brief Pierce bit at the beginning of "Basic Human Anatomy."

PIERCE: "I've been told I look like a Kennedy."
JEFF: "That's a statement, not an idea."
[Later.]
PIERCE: "I've been told I look like a Kennedy."
JEFF: "Nope. Still just a random statement and still completely useless."

Last edited by The Borgified Corpse; September 22 2013 at 11:12 PM.
The Borgified Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 12:08 AM   #1226
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
I suspect "homosexual" is a gross oversimplification of Dean Pelton's orientation.
Have we ever seen any evidence in the show of him being attracted to women as well as men?

(Of course, just generally, I've been very annoyed with how they started turning Britta into the Meg of the show starting in Season 3.)
I agree there. They started to focus a lot more on the hypocritical elements of Britta's personality and forgot that in addition to those hypocritical elements she passionately believes what she's saying. She started out as a Lisa Simpson type and turned into a Fox News liberal stereotype.
Old September 23 2013, 12:36 AM   #1227
tighr
Commodore

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Have we ever seen any evidence in the show of him being attracted to women as well as men?
I think the operative word was "oversimplification". He's not merely homosexual, he's something else entirely.
Old September 23 2013, 03:24 AM   #1228
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

...Pansexual imp?
Old September 23 2013, 03:41 AM   #1229
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

He likes manly men, however he might like manly women, but that is over simplifying it too.
Old September 23 2013, 07:50 AM   #1230
Anwar
Vice Admiral

The part I loved the most when the Dean thought he was Jeff was how Annie suddenly felt attracted to him (and then disgusted/horrified afterwards).
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote