MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 12 2013, 12:13 AM   #76
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

I spent $80 a pop on each season when they came out on DVD years ago. I still have them, the movies, and Crusade. I even ponied up for "The Lost Tales." The only thing I don't have is "Legend of the Rangers," and even then its mostly because besides being fucking terrible, it's just never in stock at my local Best Buy or Target. The completist in me would love to have it, but the other 97% of me just can't be bothered to track it down.

Anyway. I'm glad you all are reaching out together to try to make something happen. That being said, let's not try to pretend like this is some dark age where there be no Babylon 5.

Amazon has each season in stock with a price ranging between $25 to $40 a piece which is sometimes less than half what the sets cost when they were first released. There is no drought, the series isn't being secreted away by Warner Bros. It's still out there and if you can afford to pay for a Netflix streaming bill every month, it's likely you could also afford to just get the DVDs themselves.

Not trying to be a moonface assassin of joy. Just pointing out some perspective.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 12:19 AM   #77
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

In case it's not anyone posting here, just wanted to pass along that someone has started a #FreeBabylon5 thread at SyFy board (I didn't catch the subforum it's in, but, saw a thread as a recent post, in their preview of latest 3 or 5 posts earlier today) so, it seems word is getting spread

@doubleohfive, Jan points out the campaign concern is, that someone would want to sample some or all of it, before buying DVDs (And has to know it exists, hence recommendations to friends is always a plus). Also, if you pay Netflix every month (which is nowhere near the price per month of even a single season at $40), that's money already spent, so, you don't have that to spend on the DVDs unless you cancel your Netflix subscription.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 12:46 AM   #78
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
True, the change of your avatar from Mass Effect (fantastic B5 style twist) to Babylon 5 is what attracted me to come here.

But I didn't get the Peanuts reference (I more a Duck Dodgers kind of fan ), I have to admit. What did I miss?

As for Psi Corps how about this (for in- and outsiders): "Don't suspect a friend, report him!"

Bob
You don't have to get the quote, you just have to be interested enough to wonder over and see what all the noise is about. Mission accomplished.

P.S. Maybe I misunderstood the context, but how was my ME avatar a "B5 style twist"? It was just a pic of Tali.

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I spent $80 a pop on each season when they came out on DVD years ago. I still have them, the movies, and Crusade. I even ponied up for "The Lost Tales." The only thing I don't have is "Legend of the Rangers," and even then its mostly because besides being fucking terrible, it's just never in stock at my local Best Buy or Target. The completist in me would love to have it, but the other 97% of me just can't be bothered to track it down.

Anyway. I'm glad you all are reaching out together to try to make something happen. That being said, let's not try to pretend like this is some dark age where there be no Babylon 5.

Amazon has each season in stock with a price ranging between $25 to $40 a piece which is sometimes less than half what the sets cost when they were first released. There is no drought, the series isn't being secreted away by Warner Bros. It's still out there and if you can afford to pay for a Netflix streaming bill every month, it's likely you could also afford to just get the DVDs themselves.

Not trying to be a moonface assassin of joy. Just pointing out some perspective.
As has been already stated, the point of getting the show back on TV and/or subscription based streaming services isn't to make the show available for people who want to see it, it's to get the attention of people who've never seen it and grow the fan base.

Nobody in their right mind will buy a whole season, let alone a whole series on DVD if they're not already familiar the show. Home video is generally for people who are already fans. Regardless, the way WB is organised, it wouldn't matter if B5 DVD sales were outstripping the GDP of Canada. As far as they're concerned the show never turned a profit.

It certainly works for me since in the last year I've burned my way through the entirety of '24' and (so far) the first three and a half season on 'The West Wing' on LoveFilm.com. Both are shows I was aware of back when they were on, but never got around to watching till now. Didn't even occur to be to try until I saw them on my recommended list and I now consider my self a fan. It's also how I got caught up on 'Castle' and 'Big Bang Theory' after running across the odd episode on TV. I also didn't watch 'Buffy' or 'Angel' when either shows originally aired, but caught them on repeats after getting hooked on 'Firefly'. I wouldn't have even been aware of 'Firefly' if Sci-Fi wasn't repeating the show ad nauseum one weekend when I happened upon it. So yeah, the more places a show is on, the more people will watch.

Last edited by Reverend; September 12 2013 at 12:57 AM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 10:41 AM   #79
Robert Comsol
Commodore

@ Sindatur

Thanks for explaining The Peanuts reference. I wasn't aware of this one.

Reverend wrote: View Post
Maybe I misunderstood the context, but how was my ME avatar a "B5 style twist"? It was just a pic of Tali.
I thought that the conclusion of Mass Effect had a fantastic twist in the best tradition of Babylon 5 and your previous Tali avatar provided a nice opportunity to mention that.

In other words and for those that equally enjoyed the video game Mass Effect, I strongly recommend watching B5 because it's full of such surprising and shocking story twists.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 01:00 PM   #80
Jan
Commodore

It's already been explained nicely but here's how JMS has phrased it at conventions sometimes:

Every so often, Warner Bros. calls me up and “We have to do something with Babylon 5.” It’s usually like Lucy and the football, you get up there and it’s not there anymore.
For those interested, we've got over 2,500 'Likes' to the Facebook page as of last night. Pretty good for nine days, I think. A volunteer has just begun working on the website and there's just over a day left in some eBay auctions I'm doing to help fund the site and some buttons I'm having made and other expenses that may come up.

Thanks to those who've helped with artwork (particularly Reverend) and contact information.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 04:27 PM   #81
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
Maybe I misunderstood the context, but how was my ME avatar a "B5 style twist"? It was just a pic of Tali.
I thought that the conclusion of Mass Effect had a fantastic twist in the best tradition of Babylon 5 and your previous Tali avatar provided a nice opportunity to mention that.

In other words and for those that equally enjoyed the video game Mass Effect, I strongly recommend watching B5 because it's full of such surprising and shocking story twists.

Bob
^and visa-versa. I swear I'll make a gamer of Jan yet!
Jan wrote: View Post
It's already been explained nicely but here's how JMS has phrased it at conventions sometimes:

Every so often, Warner Bros. calls me up and “We have to do something with Babylon 5.” It’s usually like Lucy and the football, you get up there and it’s not there anymore.
For those interested, we've got over 2,500 'Likes' to the Facebook page as of last night. Pretty good for nine days, I think. A volunteer has just begun working on the website and there's just over a day left in some eBay auctions I'm doing to help fund the site and some buttons I'm having made and other expenses that may come up.

Thanks to those who've helped with artwork (particularly Reverend) and contact information.

Jan
Give me a shout if any graphics work needs doing for the site.
Old September 12 2013, 07:00 PM   #82
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Not surprising JMS busts out the Charlie Brown boo-hoo I'm the victim routine. From my perspective he's more Boy Who Cried Wolf. By the time something actually happens with B5 nobody will give a shit.
Old September 12 2013, 07:49 PM   #83
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
Leave it to JMS to get mad that a popular TV show threw his show a reference
Yoda wrote: View Post
Not surprising JMS busts out the Charlie Brown boo-hoo I'm the victim routine. From my perspective he's more Boy Who Cried Wolf. By the time something actually happens with B5 nobody will give a shit.
I don't know what your issue is with JMS but I always thought the Peanuts thing is clearly a self deprecating comparison. Charlie Brown is a dupe because Lucy fools him every time. Pretty much why I chose to use it since I'm fairly sure this isn't going to work...and I don't care. We're doing it anyway.
Old September 13 2013, 02:52 AM   #84
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Well let's see, you can say it's self-deprecating... and it's been a while since I've seen any Charlie Brown, but the lasting impression I had was that poor Charlie was too trusting, and he got screwed over, he was the victim, and Lucy was the villain. So there's one thing I don't like about JMS. He's always the victim. Besides, if you thought JMS was a 'dupe' why would you be volunteering your effort on his behalf. Seems like you would subscribe to a sympathetic take on Charlie Brown's field goals as well.

As for the Breaking Bad reference... why are you having troubles understanding my issue? He comes off to me like he took that as a slight. Maybe he's mad that Star Trek got a whole spec script discussion scene? I don't know. But instead of "Hey a great show referenced my show and it made me smile" we get complaining about how obscure B5 has become.

Also glancing at the guy's twitter he's arguing with anyone who is saying Netflix is more important than cable, "As a rerun, B5 would be shoved to the back on Netfilx; on cable folks who don't know it can bump into it". For someone who was in on pretty much the ground floor of the Internet, he's coming off as pretty out of touch.
Old September 13 2013, 11:28 AM   #85
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Seems like you would subscribe to a sympathetic take on Charlie Brown's field goals as well.
Then you labour under a false assumption. Several, by the looks of it.
I didn't get involved for the sake of JMS. Honestly, I couldn't care less about the guy, one way or the other. Never met him. Never will. I did it because I'm a fan of B5 and I'd like to see it not seek into obscurity.

As for how JMS expresses his opinions; the guy has decades worth of experience in television. I'd take his word over random twitter people any day.

Also, it's worth remembering that this isn't JMS's campaign. All he's done is tell the fans "if you want more B5, it's up to you make some noise." That's it.

Honestly I don't see why you're fixating on the bloke. Nobody else is, so I can only conclude you take personal umbrage with the man, which to me is just sad and totally irrelevant to the discussion.
Old September 13 2013, 08:57 PM   #86
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I think you overestimate how much effort I put into JMS

Occasionally someone posts something silly that he has said, and then I make a quip. That's about the extent of it.

Ok, so it's not JMS's campaign... except he put out his bat signal to get it started, and his grand strategy of focusing on cable TV cannot be questioned unless you've worked in the TV industry for 30+ years. Got it, good luck with your campaign.
Old September 13 2013, 09:14 PM   #87
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Well every post you've made in this thread so far is centred directly on him and you've had little if anything to say about the actual topic of discussion. What other conclusion are we to draw from this?

Honestly I don't care what your issue with the bloke is, but just harping on like you are is so very tiresome.
Old September 15 2013, 12:43 AM   #88
Jan
Commodore

From Ranger Jenny:

"This is the first video from the #FreeBabylon5 Network.

Become part of the avalanche! Make your own video. Tag it FreeBabylon5, Babylon 5 and Warner Bros. Entertainment. Email your video link to FreeBabylon5@gmail.com and we will help you spread the message. "

I know there are many talented folks out there who can make more videos. Let's create our own Voice of Free Babylon 5!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JehVTBdJwig
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 01:03 AM   #89
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Just a suggestion, but you might want to try and see if you can't recruit some talent to help get the ball rolling. That bloke who did the memorial videos would be an obvious choice. Then there's this guy who does some very good work. No idea if he's a fan though. Might also want to approach the guy who made this. Looks like he hasn't done one in quite a long while, but he's still active so you may be able to coax him.
Old September 16 2013, 07:28 PM   #90
Neroon
Mod of balance

John Hudgens as the creator for those beautiful tribute videos as well as several other excellent B5-oriented creations. He definitely has a deep love for the show, so I bet he would love to be involved!
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote