Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 11 2013, 07:22 PM   #16
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: Couldn't find a thread for this...has anyone been to see "Jobs?"

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Really looking forward to the Sorkin biopic. As one of a very small handful of people I know who actually owned a NeXTstation Color Turbo back in the 90's (a system that was easily 5-10 years ahead of its time), I have found this part of the story to be lacking in the general media coverage of Jobs' life, despite the fact it was a MAJOR stepping stone to his return to Apple, bringing with him what eventually became Mac OSX - Apple's new operating system - based on the MachOS UNIX kernel, Interface Builder and Objective C - ALL NeXT inventions under Jobs, all now being used to build literally every app in the iTunes store for iPhones, iPods and iPads.

How I miss it so...

Yeah, read about that and I found it very interesting just how closely everything looked, even at the beginning of OSX.

The problem is that despite it being a huge step to Apple's renewal and rebirth, it's mostly under the hood stuff, and not anything really tangible to show, at least for a mainstream audience. The mainstream audience would be more taken by Job's return and the chapter on the new iMacs. At the very least, they could show him at his new company and being asked back.

Here's a very good site that shows off the evolution of OSes in general. There's a section on NeXT and OSX, and you can clearly see how similar the early OSX was to it.

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/index
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 08:13 PM   #17
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Great site! Good Lord, they even have Microsoft Bob in there...what an abortion that was... Although I did like the puppy helper and was glad they continued him on into later OS's.
Old September 11 2013, 10:43 PM   #18
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Have not seen it. Am reading the Isaacson bio of Jobs right now, and think I'll wait for the Sorkin-written movie to come out.
Old September 12 2013, 12:13 AM   #19
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Mysterion wrote: View Post
Have not seen it. Am reading the Isaacson bio of Jobs right now, and think I'll wait for the Sorkin-written movie to come out.

Great writen book. I bought it for $5 "used" last year and read it on the beach throughout the summer. I completely destroyed that book, binding gone, chocolate melted to it, wet from waves splashing, fog damage. Still a great book even if you don't like Apple.
Old September 12 2013, 12:57 AM   #20
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Yeah, I will see this when it comes to Netflix, as Steve Wozniak states the film is quite filled with significant character errors, but I'm more interested in Sorkin's movie. Until then, I highly recommend The Pirates of Silicon Valley.
I entered this thread solely to recommend this movie. Really the only movie actually needed on this subject (although its before the Jobs comeback, which is the more positive and hopeful part of his career).

Anyway, since I've been beaten by several days to the punch for that movie, I'll ask a serious question. Movie quality aside, how is Ashton Kutcher in the movie?
Old September 12 2013, 01:54 AM   #21
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Anyway, since I've been beaten by several days to the punch for that movie, I'll ask a serious question. Movie quality aside, how is Ashton Kutcher in the movie?
He's Ashton Kutcher, which is one of my main problems with the film. While I suppose I like him a bit more than most, it was really one of those cases where it's hard to see the character and not the actor.

Whereas Wyle, for example, was sometimes indistinguishable from Jobs. (Though I actually think AMH did the better job in that film overall.)
Old September 12 2013, 02:37 AM   #22
Snaploud
Admiral

I'll join the chorus of people recommending Pirates of Silicon Valley. Though, I'll be interested to see if Sorkin's version is any good.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 03:20 PM   #23
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Movie quality aside, how is Ashton Kutcher in the movie?
Kutcher's actually really very good, particularly as the snake oil salesman that Jobs was in the '70s and '80s. I had no qualms with him at all.

What did bother me, though, was that the film was almost a hagiography. Case in point: In real life, when the 1984 Super Bowl commercial was shown to the board of directors, the response was first stunned silence, and then outrage -- everyone hated it, outside of Jobs. The board then ordered Chiat\Day, the agency which produced it, to sell off Apple's ad spots. Jobs, however, believing that the ad was a winner, told Jay Chiat to sell off Apple's 30-second spot, but lie to the board and say he couldn't find a taker for the 60-second spot (which was reserved for 1984). The ad ran, and the rest is history.

In the film, 1984 is shown to the board, which then erupts in a standing ovation and uproarious praise, and one of the board members goes over to Jobs, shakes his hand and says, "This is a game-changer."

Obviously biopics are going to take artistic license, but ... that's a classic example of Jobs' stubbornness paying dividends, and it would have worked great on film, but instead it was just kind of limp.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 03:42 PM   #24
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

They changed that critical bit of Apple/Jobs history that drastically? Oy vey! Now I really hope that Sorkin's version is better.
Old September 12 2013, 05:34 PM   #25
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
He's Ashton Kutcher, which is one of my main problems with the film. While I suppose I like him a bit more than most, it was really one of those cases where it's hard to see the character and not the actor.

Whereas Wyle, for example, was sometimes indistinguishable from Jobs. (Though I actually think AMH did the better job in that film overall.)
Thanks.
Old September 12 2013, 08:58 PM   #26
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Timby wrote: View Post
Movie quality aside, how is Ashton Kutcher in the movie?
Kutcher's actually really very good, particularly as the snake oil salesman that Jobs was in the '70s and '80s. I had no qualms with him at all.

What did bother me, though, was that the film was almost a hagiography. Case in point: In real life, when the 1984 Super Bowl commercial was shown to the board of directors, the response was first stunned silence, and then outrage -- everyone hated it, outside of Jobs. The board then ordered Chiat\Day, the agency which produced it, to sell off Apple's ad spots. Jobs, however, believing that the ad was a winner, told Jay Chiat to sell off Apple's 30-second spot, but lie to the board and say he couldn't find a taker for the 60-second spot (which was reserved for 1984). The ad ran, and the rest is history.

In the film, 1984 is shown to the board, which then erupts in a standing ovation and uproarious praise, and one of the board members goes over to Jobs, shakes his hand and says, "This is a game-changer."

Obviously biopics are going to take artistic license, but ... that's a classic example of Jobs' stubbornness paying dividends, and it would have worked great on film, but instead it was just kind of limp.
Damn, and that's a dramatic story that would have probably been better on screen anyway. That's a stupid change.
Old September 12 2013, 10:46 PM   #27
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Have the filmmakers mentioned why they made that change?