Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 11 2013, 03:54 PM   #61
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: 50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
As far as the 75 minute length vs. classic series multi-Doctor episodes, those classic eps could do quite a lot of dragging on.

If they pack a lot of action into 75 minutes, it'll be good enough.
On the other hand, many newer DW stories seem to rush by too fast with too much jammed in! Seems like you jump from the setup to the conclusion without much plot inbetween!

A little more time would give these stories room to breathe! 90 minutes would've been ideal.

Mr Awe
If you live in a country like us Americans, with Adverts/commercials, then it will be likely be longer than 90 minutes

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 04:17 PM   #62
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

But if its simulcast, it will likely NOT have adverts.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 04:28 PM   #63
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Annoyingly there have been several 2 parters in the new series that have seemed padded, and just as many single episodes that could have done with being a bit longer. Plenty of the one hour specials have seemed overlong IMO, so I think 75 mins may be a good compromise, but until we see it/know the story who can tell, it might still feel padded at 75 minutes for all we know currently.
You may well be right. And, ultimately, if its an enjoyable story that fits the length well, I won't be complaining afterwards!

But, I do think that a story that fits 90 minutes well can be a bit more epic. And, we need epic for the 50th!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 04:32 PM   #64
Christopher
Writer

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
I don't think it's ever simulcast in that sense. We've had BBC America show episodes on the same day the BBC debuted them, but not at the exact same time, due to the time-zone difference. Not only is the US several hours later, but Doctor Who airs here as a prime-time show, whereas I think it's late afternoon/early evening in the UK.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 04:49 PM   #65
DWF
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't think it's ever simulcast in that sense. We've had BBC America show episodes on the same day the BBC debuted them, but not at the exact same time, due to the time-zone difference. Not only is the US several hours later, but Doctor Who airs here as a prime-time show, whereas I think it's late afternoon/early evening in the UK.
Now this time as with the annoucement of Peter Capaldi as the next Doctor it supposed to be simulcast at the same time, so it'll be on at 3PM EST here.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 05:06 PM   #66
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
Now this time as with the annoucement of Peter Capaldi as the next Doctor it supposed to be simulcast at the same time, so it'll be on at 3PM EST here.
I believe I remember the Capaldi announcement having commercials. So, while it may start at the same time, about 20 minutes in, I believe BBCA will fall behind when they start showing commercials (Once it's started, there's probably much less danger of people being spoiled, because they'll be watching the show, not looking for spoilers on what's happening 20 minutes later, etc) Maybe that's incorrect, but, I'm pretty sure I remember commercial breaks on the Capldi announcement.

Old September 11 2013, 05:13 PM   #67
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

don't think it's ever simulcast in that sense. We've had BBC America show episodes on the same day the BBC debuted them, but not at the exact same time, due to the time-zone difference. Not only is the US several hours later, but Doctor Who airs here as a prime-time show, whereas I think it's late afternoon/early evening in the UK.
The BBC has announced they're doing a worldwide simulcast of the anniversary special at 7 pm GMT, 2 pm EST, some way early time in Australia. I don't know if it's going to be a single feed going out from London (so no commercials) or if separate broadcasters will have the program ahead of time so they can format it, say for commercials, as necessary.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 05:18 PM   #68
Tom
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
don't think it's ever simulcast in that sense. We've had BBC America show episodes on the same day the BBC debuted them, but not at the exact same time, due to the time-zone difference. Not only is the US several hours later, but Doctor Who airs here as a prime-time show, whereas I think it's late afternoon/early evening in the UK.
The BBC has announced they're doing a worldwide simulcast of the anniversary special at 7 pm GMT, 2 pm EST, some way early time in Australia. I don't know if it's going to be a single feed going out from London (so no commercials) or if separate broadcasters will have the program ahead of time so they can format it, say for commercials, as necessary.
Awesome!
Old September 11 2013, 06:11 PM   #69
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Wow, the 50th Anniversary will be on at 11:00 AM in the morning? That's fantastic.

I may still have to DVR it though.
Old September 11 2013, 06:18 PM   #70
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Wow, the 50th Anniversary will be on at 11:00 AM in the morning? That's fantastic.

I may still have to DVR it though.
Well, YEAH, of course you have to record it in some kind of way, even if you watch it live. How much would it suck, once it was over, if it turns out to be the absolute best episode ever, and you don't have it recorded to watch it a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th or 5th....) time?

Old September 11 2013, 07:01 PM   #71
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Love the poster!
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 07:06 PM   #72
Jax
Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Love the poster!
Same already got one as my desktop background.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 07:08 PM   #73
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Might have it as my background on my laptop!
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 08:02 PM   #74
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

They're really making the old guy have a faux hawk? Doesn't give me high hopes for Twelve's look.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 08:47 PM   #75
DWF
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post

I believe I remember the Capaldi announcement having commercials. So, while it may start at the same time, about 20 minutes in, I believe BBCA will fall behind when they start showing commercials (Once it's started, there's probably much less danger of people being spoiled, because they'll be watching the show, not looking for spoilers on what's happening 20 minutes later, etc) Maybe that's incorrect, but, I'm pretty sure I remember commercial breaks on the Capldi announcement.
Granted I saw the annoucement in a theatre but there wasn't any commericals when I saw it.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote