RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,446
Posts: 5,507,852
Members: 25,131
Currently online: 410
Newest member: xunixan

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 7 2013, 02:17 PM   #136
Nine of Four
Commander
 
Nine of Four's Avatar
 
Location: On a Borg Cube in the Delta Quadrant
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Belz... wrote: View Post
Enow wrote: View Post
Mankind is broken. History reports that no matter how good a system is, if evil men run it, then no good will come of it.
Mankind is awesome.

Things break down because nothing is perfect, nothing is eternal, and evil exists.

But man is evolving, society is moving forward. We've abolished slavery in most places, wars are smaller than 70 years ago, less numerous, etc. And poverty is being fought. Of course none of that is perfect, or works all the time. But the point is that we're slowly crawling forward. Not everybody is participating, and only a few of us are actually brillant and innovative. So what ? In the end we're getting better.
Belz, I like the way you think.....

I wasn't diggin' the negative vibes 'bout humanity on this thread, and you may it all better....
__________________
- Nine of Four
Nine of Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 02:23 PM   #137
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Enow wrote: View Post
However, in this reality, Biblical prophesies foretells one third of the earth burning up, and that was just to serve as a catalyst for the NWO and their mark of the beast system.
Oh, my. This isn't a conspiracy forum.

Well, I disagree.
That's ridiculous. Technology has grown. Population has grown, and you know why ? Fewer wars and disease because we care for each other and make medecine to help people in need, etc.

There was a time at which about 100% of states were tyrannies. Now ?

Can you really believe that there is no high tech surveilance devise in your television
Yes, actually, because I don't engage in magical thinking.

Surely you can see child molesters, alcoholics, and rapists as evidence of mankind being broken...
Actually, that's only if you assume most people are like that. I'll also remind you that there are child molesters and rapists in the animal kingdom. Is the animal kingdom broken ?

The "spirit" of Star Trek would lead you in "optimism" to not say anything negative at all.
Have you actually ever watched the show ?
Jesus Christ paid the penalty for the wages of our sins.
No, he didn't. He didn't die. He's god, right ? He could literally not lose anything. There was no sacrifice, and no mechanism through which such a sacrifice would've saved any of us, seeing as the final arbiter of who was saved or not was him in the first place. Even when I was a Christian I could see that.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 02:38 PM   #138
jpv2000
Captain
 
jpv2000's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, United States
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

T'Girl wrote: View Post
And war never disappeared, it just moved off world.

Indeed it did. Awesome space battles for all to enjoy.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 03:27 PM   #139
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Belz... wrote: View Post

But man is evolving, society is moving forward.
This is religions biggest fear. That as we learn, they lose their grip on us.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 04:23 PM   #140
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
And war never disappeared, it just moved off world.

Indeed it did. Awesome space battles for all to enjoy.
That's what the US is so proud of. No wars and no terrorism. Except outside the US.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 11:51 PM   #141
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral
 
Merry Christmas's Avatar
 
Location: tantalizing t'girl's techno temenos
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

^ It's America's general policy (when possible) to fight our wars in other people's countries.

Travel to far-away exotic lands, meet new and interesting people, and then kill them.


Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 11:36 AM   #142
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain
 
Nightdiamond's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Maybe the Prime Directive isn't looking so bad and heartless after all?

Religion extremist and fundamentalists think that humanity has gone from better to worse, while Trek thinks humanity goes from worse to better.

The problem starts, (I think) when Trek keeps tweaking the idea, then it looks like Trek does almost the same thing.

Start with one war that was supposed to be the War of all Wars. Entire Populations are being bombed out.

Add some 60's sci fi things like eugenic supermen. Then add Sanctuary Districts and place them in the U.S, complete with policemen wearing fascist like uniforms.

Then a few years later (or before) add WW III and separate it from the first war of all wars

Then add The Post Atomic Horror.

And then the look of the future-- in the early 20th century, men wearing red space jump suits, U.S police wearing fascist like uniforms, soldiers wearing heavy armor being with a sniffing drug automatically attached.

Just like failed prophecies, It does look funny when things don't look or turn out the way sci fi imagines it will

Last edited by Nightdiamond; September 9 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 12:28 PM   #143
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral
 
Merry Christmas's Avatar
 
Location: tantalizing t'girl's techno temenos
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
Then add Sanctuary Districts and place them in the U.S, complete with policemen wearing fascist like uniforms.
Let's see, tan shirt, tan trousers (or coveralls?), a belt and ankle boots. This is what the fascists wore?.

*****


Maybe the Prime Directive isn't looking so bad and heartless after all?
In the 23rd century, or least as it was applied by Kirk, the prime directive made a large degree of sense. As Picard employed it, it was in fact heartless and showed cowardliness on the part of the society that hid behind it.

soldiers wearing heavy armor being with a sniffing drug automatically attached
The anti-projectile/fragment armor looks to be practical, it actually looked a lot like what modern bomb disposal personnel wear. The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein (in 1966) used the idea of soldiers being given "don't worry" drugs prior to combat.

Religion extremist and fundamentalists think that humanity has gone from better to worse
Quite the opposite, certainly many Christian fundamentalists have a abundant optimistic viewpoint of the present and the future, almost to the point of being Pollyanna.

That's where all that smiling comes from.

"God took the trouble to tell us eight hundred times [in the Bible] to be glad and rejoice."

Just like failed prophecies, It does look funny when things don't look or turn out the way sci fi imagines it will
One of Star Trek's biggest prophecy failures was where Picard and Riker said that the Enterprise didn't need to engage in a war game, because to their minds combat abilities were a minor part of a starship Captain's duties. A few year later came the Dominion War.

Pray for the best, plan for the worst.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 02:56 PM   #144
jpv2000
Captain
 
jpv2000's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, United States
Re: The Reality of Star Trek

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
Maybe the Prime Directive isn't looking so bad and heartless after all?
In the 23rd century, or least as it was applied by Kirk, the prime directive made a large degree of sense. As Picard employed it, it was in fact heartless and showed cowardliness on the part of the society that hid behind it.
Exactly as I see it. In TOS I thought the prime directive was a good and pretty smart thing to have. TNG turned it, as you said, into something they usually hid behind to avoid any hard decisions.

Religion extremist and fundamentalists think that humanity has gone from better to worse
Quite the opposite, certainly many Christian fundamentalists have a abundant optimistic viewpoint of the present and the future, almost to the point of being Pollyanna.

That's where all that smiling comes from.

"God took the trouble to tell us eight hundred times [in the Bible] to be glad and rejoice."[/QUOTE]

Yes He did. I couldn't agree more. I am a million times more optimistic now then I was before I was a Christian.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.