RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,669
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 712
Newest member: Trek's Offender

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 30 2013, 08:54 PM   #31
neoworx
Lieutenant

Re: Matt Jefferies, creating a world...

[QUOTE=Redfern;8571316]
neoworx wrote: View Post
But, yeah, Jefferies did do some SF designs outside of Trek, though that particular instance got unofficially "assimilated" later.
I agree I owned the "UFO Mystery Ship" version. But I was thinking in larger terms. He helped to visually create an IP that has stood the test of time almost half a century! I can only imagine what he might have come up with if he had been set free on another project the size of Star Trek.

Praetor wrote: View Post
You're probably right. I was unclear whether they were actually cargo or fuel pods. I think someone interpreted them as fuel pods that were dropped along the journey.
Whatever they were, MJ's sketches show that they were modules and there could be more than we saw on screen. It's that level of design and execution that made Jefferies' work so memorable. Form was built on (fictional) function.

neoworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 10:31 PM   #32
Robert Comsol
Commodore

MANT! wrote: View Post
The Leif was used in some storyboards for TAS though it never made the final animation cut...

http://www.projectrho.com/SSC/model.html
Do you mean the pre-production sketches for that TV series based on War of the Worlds? These look fantastic!

In my TOS Enterprise deck plan project I'm trying to redress studio set pieces the way I believe Walter Matt Jefferies might have done it. One particular item I mentioned at the end of my comments for Engineering Deck 13 was to envision a hangar deck control window (one level above) which would have been essentially the Delta Vega station inner "window frame".

My jaw dropped when I saw this pre-production sketch.
That's just eerie, but tells me I'm probably not doing that bad trying to recreate an Enterprise interior as Mr. Jefferies might have done it. Thanks for the link!

I (in the FJ thread) and another gentleman in this thread felt compelled to point out Matt Jefferies' influence in starship design far beyond TOS. Looking at the propulsion units of the Leif Ericson I'd dare to say Matt Jefferies' design influence definitely extended all the way to DS9 and one ship in particular.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 04:29 AM   #33
MANT!
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=Maurice;8575444]
MANT! wrote: View Post
Redfern wrote: View Post
The Leif was used in some storyboards for TAS though it never made the final animation cut...

http://www.projectrho.com/SSC/model.html
Not seeing any storyboards there.
Whups sorry wrong link..

http://frank.bol.ucla.edu/le.html

Now the storyboards aren't on that site but perhaps you can ask Mike Okuda about it..perhaps he can come up with a link..
Old August 31 2013, 09:59 AM   #34
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Interesting, one of the photo captions says "George Pal with model of spaceship for his TV series" - It's the Tholian vessel from "The Tholian Web"

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2013, 09:20 PM   #35
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Why would I ask Mike Okuda about it?
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 05:07 AM   #36
MGagen
Captain

Matt Jefferies was just some guy hired to design sets in the same way Michelangelo was just some guy the Pope hired to paint his ceiling...

M.
MGagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 08:33 AM   #37
Mario de Monti
Commander

Im not sure what you want to say here. That Matt Jefferies didnt care about the TOS sets and designs or wasnt devoted to or passionate about the project just because he was hired to do it? That no one who is hired (and paid) to do something really puts thought and love into it? And why the comparison to Michelangelo? Just because he was forced to paint the ceiling of the Sixtine Chapel, does that mean he didnt put thought into it and plan everything meticulously?

Or am I understanding you wrong?

Mario
Old September 11 2013, 01:01 PM   #38
Warped9
Admiral

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
Im not sure what you want to say here. That Matt Jefferies didnt care about the TOS sets and designs or wasnt devoted to or passionate about the project just because he was hired to do it? That no one who is hired (and paid) to do something really puts thought and love into it? And why the comparison to Michelangelo? Just because he was forced to paint the ceiling of the Sixtine Chapel, does that mean he didnt put thought into it and plan everything meticulously?

Or am I understanding you wrong?

Mario
I think you misunderstand him. The Michelangelo reference is the tip off. MGagen is really saying MJ was essentially a genius and a very talented one at that.
Old September 11 2013, 01:03 PM   #39
MGagen
Captain

It was sarcasm. I am one of Jefferies' greatest fans.

My point was that anyone saying he was "just some guy hired to do the job" would be as off base as if they had referred to Michelangelo as a mere house-painter.

I guess you could say I was doing the opposite of "damning with faint praise." Perhaps "praising with faint damnation"?

M.
MGagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 01:22 PM   #40
Mario de Monti
Commander

Ok, I get it now And Im glad it was just sarcasm on your part. Its just that sometimes I get the feeling, many people here at the TrekBBS prefer saying how bad or inferior some aspects of Trek are, rather than saying what other aspects they enjoy, love and care about. But I may be getting that wrong, too

Mario
Old September 11 2013, 01:44 PM   #41
Warped9
Admiral

Nuance and inflection don't translate well online even with the aid of emoticons.
Old September 11 2013, 03:14 PM   #42
Mario de Monti
Commander

These were more or less my words in another thread just a few days ago
Old September 11 2013, 05:03 PM   #43
jpv2000
Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Nuance and inflection don't translate well online even with the aid of emoticons.
True indeed.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 05:09 PM   #44
davejames
Vice Admiral

I have to admit as a kid I found the original E to be a bit clunky and outdated, but that was probably mostly because the low-grade effects never really did it justice.

But eventually I came to appreciate the design a lot more-- especially when considering just how different it was from what came before. Because I'm pretty sure this is the first time we saw a spaceship on screen that wasn't either a flying saucer or a rocket ship.

It's amazing that it took until the mid-60s before someone realized there were lots of other possibilities out there for spaceship design.

And of course the Enterprise sets are incredible as well. Especially compared to the rather generic scifi designs still being used on Lost in Space at the time. The TOS sets might look a bit outdated and 1960s now, but at least they had a real and distinctive style to them.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 06:37 PM   #45
Warped9
Admiral

There was something to the LIS sets sometimes, particularly the Jupiter II interior, that could have fit in right alongside some of the TOS sets and other production elements. Sets and post production could be an area of strength for LIS. The flying sequences of the Jupiter II were quite nice and it would have a joy to have seen the TOS shuttlecraft handled like that.