RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 426
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 10 2013, 03:28 PM   #16
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

I've actually always wanted to see - or do - TNG Vs Aliens. Worf's bat'leth would be a better fit...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 03:35 PM   #17
Khan 2.0
Commander

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I've actually always wanted to see - or do - TNG Vs Aliens.
wasnt that First Contact?
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:09 PM   #18
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Don't forget Raytag M'Gora, an escaped Normedian prisoner, in the post-TMP Marvel Comic, #4 "The Haunting of Thallus!"
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/File:Raytag.jpg
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 06:24 PM   #19
bbailey861
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Don't forget Raytag M'Gora, an escaped Normedian prisoner, in the post-TMP Marvel Comic, #4 "The Haunting of Thallus!"
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/File:Raytag.jpg
Your memory is impeccable, Sir. I completely forgot that and now I shall have to go digging through some dusty comic boxes. I would still like to see Star Trek vs Aliens. Lets have a series of comics for each of the ST entities.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 06:57 PM   #20
Lonemagpie
Writer

Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I've actually always wanted to see - or do - TNG Vs Aliens.
wasnt that First Contact?
I nearly said that.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 07:59 PM   #21
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Mysterion wrote: View Post
The artwork isn't bad. But I don't see these two things going together. The Trek philosophy of "every life form has a right to exist" just doesn't bode well for how this would all turn out - otherwise it's just a "let's kill the bugs!" story. All fine and well for an aliens story, but it ain't Trek. Look how muddled the whole borg thing got. Also, the image of Spock trotting around the Enterprise with the vulcan weapon strapped across his back just doesn't ring true to me.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:07 PM   #22
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Err, humans are primates too. So that doesn't exactly lock it down.
Bingo

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 10:25 PM   #23
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

@Lindley: Ha! Totally.
Old September 11 2013, 05:10 AM   #24
JD
Admiral

Didn't Taran'atar fight an alien that looked like a Xenomorph during one of his holodeck training sessions?
Old September 11 2013, 05:35 AM   #25
vegaslover62
Lieutenant Commander

Location: 2112 Rivendell, Xanadu. In the Lakeside Park Subdivisions on the beautiful Bacchus Plateau

[QUOTE=bbailey861;8625514]
jpv2000 wrote: View Post
I would, too. Just looking at the draft comic pages gives me the willies and I love it. To see a complete story line fleshed out, coloured, and with text would be incredible and I also think it would sell well.
I wish everybody would see the distinction that just because somebody THINKS something will sell well is not an indicator of whether it will actually sell well. This is an assumption based on personal opinion and not evidence. We've all sung the praises of the Star Trek Encyclopedia on this site, and look how it did.
vegaslover62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 01:40 PM   #26
bbailey861
Admiral

[QUOTE=vegaslover62;8629564]
bbailey861 wrote: View Post
I would, too. Just looking at the draft comic pages gives me the willies and I love it. To see a complete story line fleshed out, coloured, and with text would be incredible and I also think it would sell well.
I wish everybody would see the distinction that just because somebody THINKS something will sell well is not an indicator of whether it will actually sell well. This is an assumption based on personal opinion and not evidence. We've all sung the praises of the Star Trek Encyclopedia on this site, and look how it did.
Absolutely correct - it is my personal opinion. It's things like personal opinions that keep the conversation going. Can't say why the Encyclopedia didn't sell well, but right now comics appear to be on a lot of people's radar, so they stand a good chance of doing well. Having the crossover COULD also have the added benefit of introducing fans of another franchise (in this case 'Aliens') to Star Trek comics.
Old September 11 2013, 11:03 PM   #27
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

vegaslover62 wrote: View Post
We've all sung the praises of the Star Trek Encyclopedia on this site, and look how it did.
As far as I know, the first two editions of the "ST Encyclopedia sold well enough, or else Simon & Schuster wouldn't have kept making new editions. But the first one came out when there were still lots (and lots) of casual viewers of TNG. People who had a strong, but passing, interest in Trek, plus people buying the book for relatives and friends they knew were avid fans and were otherwise hard to buy for.

The third edition was much harder to sell because TNG and DS9 were already off the radar of those casual fans, so the Simon & Schuster number-crunchers decided it would be unprofitable to redesign the whole text, added the new material as a supplement at the back, and buyers resisted. Many TNG-only fans didn't need extra pages that added mainly new DS9 episodes to the book.

These days, a new edition in hardcopy would be a huge undertaking: more VOY, plus ENT and JJ movies to be added, and many people are happier with the convenience of online information. Which is free - and updated daily.

The highest hurdle for any crossover story involving characters owned by two different production houses is usually settling on what $$$ outlay is required.

Can't say why the Encyclopedia didn't sell well, but right now comics appear to be on a lot of people's radar, so they stand a good chance of doing well.
Are they?

The Trek comics from IDW are often rather hard to find, and many have been scathingly reviewed. AFAIK, they are not selling the kinds of numbers as the Marvel and DC versions of the 80s.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 12:29 AM   #28
jpv2000
Captain

Can't say why the Encyclopedia didn't sell well, but right now comics appear to be on a lot of people's radar, so they stand a good chance of doing well.
Are they?

The Trek comics from IDW are often rather hard to find, and many have been scathingly reviewed. AFAIK, they are not selling the kinds of numbers as the Marvel and DC versions of the 80s.
To be fair, I don't think any current comics are selling near their '80s or '90s level.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 02:35 AM   #29
bbailey861
Admiral

vegaslover62 wrote: View Post
We've all sung the praises of the Star Trek Encyclopedia on this site, and look how it did.
As far as I know, the first two editions of the "ST Encyclopedia sold well enough, or else Simon & Schuster wouldn't have kept making new editions. But the first one came out when there were still lots (and lots) of casual viewers of TNG. People who had a strong, but passing, interest in Trek, plus people buying the book for relatives and friends they knew were avid fans and were otherwise hard to buy for.

The third edition was much harder to sell because TNG and DS9 were already off the radar of those casual fans, so the Simon & Schuster number-crunchers decided it would be unprofitable to redesign the whole text, added the new material as a supplement at the back, and buyers resisted. Many TNG-only fans didn't need extra pages that added mainly new DS9 episodes to the book.

These days, a new edition in hardcopy would be a huge undertaking: more VOY, plus ENT and JJ movies to be added, and many people are happier with the convenience of online information. Which is free - and updated daily.

The highest hurdle for any crossover story involving characters owned by two different production houses is usually settling on what $$$ outlay is required.

Are they?

Well I can't speak for anywhere but Kingston, but comics do very well here - at least if I am to believe the dealers that sell here. They have IDW comics - not just Star Trek - as does the guy who comes to town during Sunday Market at Springer Market Square. I have to believe that if they can do well here, the larger cities must be doing as well if not better. I have no empirical data, though.

Are they?

To be fair, I don't think any current comics are selling near their '80s or '90s level.
I am sure the industry isn't doing as well as years before - not surprising in this economy. It would be interesting to know for sure how the numbers differ. I only collect the Trek comics, but my son currently subscribes to half a dozen different ones (his are all Marvel). Mile High Comics is used by both of us to pick up missing back issues.
Old September 12 2013, 06:06 AM   #30
JD
Admiral

I don't know what they were at the height of the medium, but I believe now most comics sell in either the 5 or 6 digit range. I can't remember where exactly they are, but I'm pretty sure there are websites that do have the exact numbers for comic sales.