Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old June 16 2013, 12:27 PM   #91
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

This thread:
Old June 20 2013, 04:24 PM   #92
peteym5
Lieutenant

With "Star Trek into Darkness" exceeding $400 Million worldwide, we are certainly going to have more Star Trek films. The movie has not hit the home video market and cable yet, looking at hundreds of million more. I know there is a question of JJ Abrams involvement for 13th Trek film since he has been chosen to direct Star Wars Episode VII. Paramount has already started looking for alternate directors.

I think what the fans have been demanding now can Star Trek be bought back to television as a first run tv show. The problem is trying to get CBS to agree to let someone make a new series because they hold the television rights for Star Trek. I know Paramount has been looking to do it themselves. I am not going to go much into the setting, people been posting all different things about that. Which network, cable channel, or online web service? I say the best bet is first run cable like Syfy or similar channel for first run. Maybe syndicated reruns after a few seasons, been seeing Sci-fi shows rerun on local tv time slots. CBS and Warner also has the CW and that network has had problems holding onto any programs since UPN and WB merged and lost Star Trek. Star Trek is probably what it needs right now.
peteym5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2013, 05:48 PM   #93
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

peteym5 wrote: View Post
With "Star Trek into Darkness" exceeding $400 Million worldwide, we are certainly going to have more Star Trek films. The movie has not hit the home video market and cable yet, looking at hundreds of million more. I know there is a question of JJ Abrams involvement for 13th Trek film since he has been chosen to direct Star Wars Episode VII. Paramount has already started looking for alternate directors.

I think what the fans have been demanding now can Star Trek be bought back to television as a first run tv show. The problem is trying to get CBS to agree to let someone make a new series because they hold the television rights for Star Trek. I know Paramount has been looking to do it themselves. I am not going to go much into the setting, people been posting all different things about that. Which network, cable channel, or online web service? I say the best bet is first run cable like Syfy or similar channel for first run. Maybe syndicated reruns after a few seasons, been seeing Sci-fi shows rerun on local tv time slots. CBS and Warner also has the CW and that network has had problems holding onto any programs since UPN and WB merged and lost Star Trek. Star Trek is probably what it needs right now.
The only Star Trek show that could be on the CW is a Starfleet Academy one, as the CW is quite youth-orientated. But that's a long shot now, as much as I hate to admit it, due to the hatred that Les Mooves has for Star Trek and sci-fi in general.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 04:01 PM   #94
looneyguy1985
Ensign

The only Star Trek show that could be on the CW is a Starfleet Academy one, as the CW is quite youth-orientated. But that's a long shot now, as much as I hate to admit it, due to the hatred that Les Mooves has for Star Trek and sci-fi in general.[/QUOTE]

You are sure right about that. We did get a small taste of that in the Trek 09 film and I actually think that a star-fleet academy show could potentially work. Maybe they could do a POST enterprise PRE JJverse series using that as the primary setting.
looneyguy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 04:33 PM   #95
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Star Trek movies have have been going strong, with occasional ups and downs, since 1979. Why stop now?

If you look at the "Earliest Star Trek Memories" thread in the "General" category, you can see how every Trek movie is somebody's first. Deciding that "okay, we've had our fill, you can stop now" strikes me as generational chauvinism at best. Let future generations of Trekkies have their fun, too.

And, for those who want to turns this into yet another referendum on the latest flick, did you want to shut down the whole franchise after TFF or NEM or whatever your least favorite Trek movie was?

With any luck, STAR TREK will outlive us all.
Old September 9 2013, 07:20 PM   #96
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well arguing if there should be another movie or not is a moot point. I do believe the whole cast is under contract for a third reboot movie, and the shortcomings of Into Darkness's plot aside, it did make money. I just hope the next movie is something more original than cherry picking a bunch of random plot elements across the franchise, putting them into a blender and turning out a "new" story. It probably will be Abrams last Trek movie though since he's apparently moving on to Star Wars.
Old September 10 2013, 09:09 PM   #97
Gojira
Commodore

I hope they never stop making Star Trek movies.
Old September 10 2013, 09:34 PM   #98
F. King Daniel
Admiral

When I was little and saw The Simpsons' "Star Trek XII: So Very Tired" spoof, I remember thinking, "Trek will NEVER make it to 12 movies!"

Happy to be proven wrong
Old September 10 2013, 09:57 PM   #99
Gojira
Commodore

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
When I was little and saw The Simpsons' "Star Trek XII: So Very Tired" spoof, I remember thinking, "Trek will NEVER make it to 12 movies!"

Happy to be proven wrong
I just want to live long enought to see Star Trek XX! (20 not X-rated! )
Old September 10 2013, 10:20 PM   #100
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Gojira wrote: View Post

Happy to be proven wrong
I hope I'm around for both!
Old September 11 2013, 05:20 AM   #101
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

Happy to be proven wrong
I await the inevitable nostalgic "glorification" of Abrams Trek and the trashing of the current incarnation.
Old September 11 2013, 03:27 PM   #102
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

I await the inevitable nostalgic "glorification" of Abrams Trek and the trashing of the current incarnation.
It will happen. Today's kids will consider NuTrek the "real" Trek--and stubbornly reject the next reboot!

It's the circle of life.

Last edited by Greg Cox; September 11 2013 at 07:06 PM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 06:54 PM   #103
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Not in the JJverse.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 07:39 PM   #104
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Not in the JJverse.
So you want to go back to failure where people thought the TNG movies were a bad joke?
Old September 11 2013, 08:52 PM   #105
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Not in the JJverse.
So you want to go back to failure where people thought the TNG movies were a bad joke?
Hey, I liked FIRST CONTACT. And GENERATIONS has its moments, although I think the parts are better than the whole.

Like I said, it's not necessary to denigrate the previous versions to accept a new and different version.