RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,699
Members: 24,831
Currently online: 531
Newest member: Edtrecke

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 4 2013, 12:50 PM   #31
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Re: The Cage bridge.

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Well, as a safety concern, the railings are an accident waiting to happen. Until you're actually standing next to it, you don't really get a sense of how insecure they make you feel. If you are "down below," they're great. But if you're on the upper level, you notice that they catch you right at about knee level. They feel more like tripping devices than safety features. UFP OSHA would have a field day.
I've often thought as much. It looks like if the ship rocked in battle, you could break both knees on your way to doing a face-plant in the well. Ouch.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 04:13 PM   #32
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
^There could conceivably be multiple different tones denoting different responses/states.
Right. Audio tones, plus changing button color indicators, maybe some force feedback tactile indicators on the controls. Many combinations could have been used to eliminate the need for graphic display screens.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 02:53 AM   #33
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Well, as a safety concern, the railings are an accident waiting to happen. Until you're actually standing next to it, you don't really get a sense of how insecure they make you feel. If you are "down below," they're great. But if you're on the upper level, you notice that they catch you right at about knee level. They feel more like tripping devices than safety features. UFP OSHA would have a field day.
I've often thought as much. It looks like if the ship rocked in battle, you could break both knees on your way to doing a face-plant in the well. Ouch.
Best way to prevent this if you're on the upper level? Sit in your f***ing chair!
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 07:47 AM   #34
Mario de Monti
Captain

The chairs aren´t particularly safe either, since they
  • can rotate
  • are not fixed to the floor
  • don´t have restraints of any kind
So by sitting in a chair when all the shaking and rocking starts, you just fly around from a different position than when standing up - but down you´ll go
Old September 5 2013, 12:11 PM   #35
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

^I knew that would come up, but at least you're in the wrong position to go tripping over the railing.
Old September 5 2013, 12:40 PM   #36
Mario de Monti
Captain

I know what you meant. What I said was intended as a humorous remark
Old September 5 2013, 01:46 PM   #37
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Same here.
Old September 5 2013, 02:15 PM   #38
Mario de Monti
Captain

Which proves once again how difficult it is, to convey such subtleties of meaning using only the written word. Even with all the modern day "smiley icons" at our disposal
Old September 11 2013, 05:00 AM   #39
MGagen
Captain

I've alway figured that the bridge railing was never meant to be at safety height for the upper stations. It was designed to be at Kirk-lean-upon height from below.

But take a look at the railings in Wrath of Khan: Standing on the lower level, Kirk is able to rest his chin on them while declaring that he "feels young." There you have a functional guard rail. It's about the only feature of the movie-era bridge that I like better than TOS.

M.
MGagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 03:06 PM   #40
Robert Comsol
Commodore

MGagen wrote: View Post
I've alway figured that the bridge railing was never meant to be at safety height for the upper stations. It was designed to be at Kirk-lean-upon height from below.
I say it was designed so that in a bumpy situation Yeoman Rand would have the choice whether she wanted to fall into Kirk's arms or grap on to the railing instead.

...or both.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 04:37 PM   #41
marksound
Fleet Captain

Kirk was the master of stopping short.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 04:55 PM   #42
jpv2000
Captain

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Kirk was the master of stopping short.
Yes he was.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 07:32 PM   #43
publiusr
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
Those gooseneck viewers looked like accidents waiting to happen when the Director yelled "Roll!"
They had a few too many. A good office would have a standard monitor, the three view monitor on a conference room table nearby, with the gooseneck near the head seat for the captain, with padds on the table too.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 04:57 PM   #44
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I always liked the "Cage" color scheme, but retroactively I've always thought that in-universe the latter TOS era colors may've been an attempt to brighten things up for spacegoers - space is dark and you're on the ship all the time, so let's have something bright and colorful and less dreary to stare at.

...An attempt that apparently didn't work, since it was discontinued by TMP.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 05:55 PM   #45
Christopher
Writer

^In TMP, the ship was launched prematurely to deal with an emergency. They probably didn't have time to paint all the railings.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote