RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,691
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 800
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 10 2013, 09:37 PM   #271
Makarov
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th [spoiler

Steelbooks are nice but I really got this set for the Vengeance toy. Had the Enterprise D one already so I knew what to expect. I'm going to put it next to the Enterprise hotwheels, looks just like the scene from the movie!
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:55 PM   #272
LOKAI of CHERON
Fleet Captain

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
I continue to enjoy not having a substandard disk and will wait as long as it takes to get all the extras on one disk at a fair price.
...while I continue to enjoy the outstanding movie - which looks and sounds spectacular on my home cinema system. Damn, the pleasure I get from watching this disc makes it a snip in my book - how about that?

By the way, you're really lucky to have such a low enjoyment threshold. Can you derive as much enjoyment from not owning other things as well?
Old September 10 2013, 09:59 PM   #273
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
I continue to enjoy not having a substandard disk and will wait as long as it takes to get all the extras on one disk at a fair price.
You've made that point, yes.

Quite a few times, now.

If you feel you need to continue making it, over and over and over, you're welcome to go off and write a blog about it—heck, you could even write letters to Paramount or Bad Robot—but it'll earn you a spamming warning if you keep it up here.
I see no difference between continued posts reporting a purchase and where the UPS truck is or continued posts saying I still have not changed my mind. I already wrote to Paramount. Your post could have been a PM...
The biggest difference is that, while each of those reports of purchase or UPS-truck status is posted by a different person, you have been posting essentially the same thing, over and over, in this thread. That's spamming.

You were also asked in a different thread to desist from haranguing another poster for his supposed failure (in what never pretended to be anything other than a comparative review of extras in the various Blu-Ray sets for Star Trek Into Darkness) to advocate a blanket boycott. You appear to be beating more or less the same drum in here, with little intent other than to provoke a response from other posters.

Those, together with your refusal to drop the subject after having been asked to do so, will provoke this response: you have earned a warning for trolling. Comments to PM, if you will.
Old September 10 2013, 10:04 PM   #274
The Keeper
Commodore

Makarov wrote: View Post
Steelbooks are nice but I really got this set for the Vengeance toy. Had the Enterprise D one already so I knew what to expect. I'm going to put it next to the Enterprise hotwheels, looks just like the scene from the movie!
I could never bring myself to purchase any version of the Abrams ship but a friend got me the Basic Fun keychain and it seems to scale nicely with this Vengeance. (probably a bit smaller than it should be)
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 01:21 AM   #275
Leathco
Lieutenant Commander

I also went with the Wal-Mart exclusive with the Vengeance ship and steelbook case.......AND the 3D Blu-Ray. I already collect the Hot Wheels ships, and liked the Steelbook cover quite a bit, though I had to get a 3D version for my TV
Old September 11 2013, 02:39 AM   #276
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

I just got the standard Amazon version, it came today. We all liked it. Sure, more special features would have been nice, but they matter less to me than getting the movie itself at a price I wanted to pay, delivered to my door on release day.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 03:15 AM   #277
Top41

I went for the Target exclusive set--on the back it says the bonus disc has over an hour of special features. Not sure if that's the Target ones combined with the regular ones, but either way, that'll be enough for me I guess! I was torn between the Best Buy and Target ones, but I like to have a physical copy of the bonus material--I don't want to stream them from some site. I also think the Target extras are more interesting to me... so I'm happy. Still wish Paramount hadn't split all the bonus features.
Old September 11 2013, 03:32 AM   #278
Beyerstein
Captain

I bought the Target version today. Watched through the movie and the bonus disc once already. Most of the stuff on the Bonus disc wasn't all that interesting. Trying to download the commentary from itunes. Ive never redeemed a digital copy from a blu ray before. It says I have 4 hours remaining. This sucks
Beyerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 04:07 AM   #279
Dream
Admiral

Anyone notice how the back cover synopsis completely ruins the mystery of the whole movie?
Old September 11 2013, 04:18 AM   #280
saddestmoon
Lieutenant Commander

Can't wait to pick up the DVD release of this (don't have a blu-ray player, hence DVD).

I picked up the steelbook ed. of Star Trek 2009 when it became available - the one which came with quite a good model of the USS Enterprise (the saucer of which doubled as a disc-holder).

I already own the Hot Wheels USS Vengeance as a regular diecast: she's a beautiful model, and well-worth picking up (and it's a great extra to come with the Blu-Ray, IMO).

saddestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 04:30 AM   #281
HaplessCrewman
Commander

I also picked up the Target version today (the one with the ugly white cover.)

Target also had a version with the three heads on it. Does anyone know if this one did not have the bonus disc - because it did not say so on the cover. There was just sticker advertising some Target coupons.

Am going to try the iTunes download (hate UltraViolet). Has anyone made this work yet? Is the commentary on there?
Old September 11 2013, 05:12 AM   #282
Tommunist
Lieutenant

I received my Amazon Phaser set yesterday with the 3D blu-ray combo set. I don't need the dvd, so I threw it on ebay. The digital copy code I used for the iTunes version, so I get the commentary.

So, I preordered the Best Buy excusive combo pack with slipcover, and a Cinema Now (UV compatible) copy of the movie and an email code for the exclusive content. Since I already got the exclusive content free when I "pre-ordered", the code that came inside for that was also put on eBay, along with the DVD that came with that release. I used a 5$ Best Buy reward cert towards the purchase. It also came with the digital copy code for UV/iTunes that I put on ebay.

And I went to Target to get the exclusive 3D combo pack that came with the bonus Blu-ray of additional special features. I kept that bonus disc, and put on ebay the 3D disc, the blu-ray, and the DVD, along with the digital copy code.

So now, I have the phaser, the Target bonus disc, the iTunes commentary, the Cinema Now exclusive features, a UV digital copy, and of course the 3D and regular Blu-rays.

And with what has already sold and what is selling now, I may have ended up having it cover everything except the added cost of the phaser, which I wanted anyways.

Thanks Paramount, for allowing me to turn your shitty practices around into a small win for the completist in me. I'm sure this is exactly what you wanted.
Tommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 05:16 AM   #283
Tommunist
Lieutenant

HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
I also picked up the Target version today (the one with the ugly white cover.)

Target also had a version with the three heads on it. Does anyone know if this one did not have the bonus disc - because it did not say so on the cover. There was just sticker advertising some Target coupons.

Am going to try the iTunes download (hate UltraViolet). Has anyone made this work yet? Is the commentary on there?
Yes, I used it for iTunes, and got the commentary.
Once I got all my accounts set up (Flixster, Vudu, Ultraviolet and CinemaNow, and the various studio websites!) I like UV. I can stream the movies away from home and download to my laptop of view on the various Roku boxes around the house. But yes, the initial setup was a hassle!
Old September 11 2013, 05:26 AM   #284
HaplessCrewman
Commander

Hey Tommunist. Thanks for the info.

Is the iTunes download one file (the feature) and the commentary as another (video and audio) file?

Do you have to download both? Or can you choose?
Old September 11 2013, 05:37 AM   #285
Tommunist
Lieutenant

HaplessCrewman wrote: View Post
Hey Tommunist. Thanks for the info.

Is the iTunes download one file (the feature) and the commentary as another (video and audio) file?

Do you have to download both? Or can you choose?
Well, perhaps because of the Apple news today, redeeming was a little wonky. However, with the code entered, two downloads occured, the regular feature, and the "enhanced commentary" download. I suppose you could stop the feature download if you didn't want it; you should have the option of re-downloading it later.
I didn't have time to actually view the enhanced commentary yet! But that's the single most-wanted feature I'd want on a Blu-ray!