RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,715
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 757
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 8 2013, 10:40 PM   #16
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Duras Sisters surviving Generations

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
the mentally-deranged Sauron...
Tolkien crossover?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 03:53 PM   #17
austen_pierce
Commander

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
the mentally-deranged Sauron...
Tolkien crossover?
Saw that too, but figured I'd leave it alone. Do we have any other LOTR crossover than Karl Urban?
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 10:45 PM   #18
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

austen_pierce wrote: View Post
Saw that too, but figured I'd leave it alone. Do we have any other LOTR crossover than Karl Urban?
Benedict Cumberbatch as the voices of the Necromancer and Smaug!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 06:24 AM   #19
Dukhat
Commodore

They were piss-poor villains for a feature film. Good riddance, I say.
Old September 10 2013, 10:07 AM   #20
Tiberius
Commodore

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Maybe they beamed out into an escape pod. I always got the impression the sisters always had an escape plan in mind for most eventualities--or maybe just one of them escaped and she is planning her revenge as she recovers.
The interesting thing is that we simply don't know what happened to them. The CLAIM that the sisters were killed, but the fact is that we never saw their BoP explode at all! What we saw was actually the explosion of ANOTHER bird of prey, namely the one commanded by General Chang, which was destroyed nearly a century prior! What are they trying to hide? Why are they trying to deceive us? What secrets are they hiding from us, and what is the truth? What could they gain by faking the deaths of the Klingons aboard that ship?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 05:34 PM   #21
jpv2000
Captain

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Maybe they beamed out into an escape pod. I always got the impression the sisters always had an escape plan in mind for most eventualities--or maybe just one of them escaped and she is planning her revenge as she recovers.
The interesting thing is that we simply don't know what happened to them. The CLAIM that the sisters were killed, but the fact is that we never saw their BoP explode at all! What we saw was actually the explosion of ANOTHER bird of prey, namely the one commanded by General Chang, which was destroyed nearly a century prior! What are they trying to hide? Why are they trying to deceive us? What secrets are they hiding from us, and what is the truth? What could they gain by faking the deaths of the Klingons aboard that ship?
Really? I never caught that.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 04:26 AM   #22
Tiberius
Commodore

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
You never noticed that they used the same clip? They intentionally made the Duras sisters have the same kind of ship because they were planning on saving money by using that clip.
Old September 11 2013, 08:11 PM   #23
jpv2000
Captain

jpv2000 wrote: View Post

You never noticed that they used the same clip? They intentionally made the Duras sisters have the same kind of ship because they were planning on saving money by using that clip.
Nope, I never caught it.

I've posted before that I thought the Enterprise D should have been taken out by a much larger ship than a BoP, she deserved better then that. Sad to hear they did it to save a few bucks on effects.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 01:31 PM   #24
Noddy
Captain

Considering how fast Klingon children mature (Alexander looked and acted like a 6 year old when he was barely a year old), I wonder what Lursa's unnamed son would have been like at the time of her death?
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 02:34 PM   #25
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

It's just stock footage. It's hardly the first time this has been done.

Look at all those times we saw an Excelsior-class ship pull up along side the Enterprise in TNG. Those didn't have to be the same ship every time, did they? Same story here. Same footage, DIFFERENT SHIP.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 04:11 PM   #26
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Trek would be lost without reusing stock footage.

It is a shame they didn't film a new explosion for GEN, but understandable--models are expensive and time-consuming to build, especially when you're just going to blow it up. Had they been using CGI at the time we probably would've gotten something new.

In my mind I like to think that B'Etor is still out there, scarred and seething about the loss of her sister, planning her revenge against the TNG crew, whilst filling her nephew's head full of her propaganda.
Old September 19 2013, 06:40 PM   #27
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Look at all those times we saw an Excelsior-class ship pull up along side the Enterprise in TNG. Those didn't have to be the same ship every time, did they? Same story here. Same footage, DIFFERENT SHIP.
There are two big differences here:

1. It's a feature film with a bigger budget, not a weekly TV show. The only time I can think of when a Trek MOVIE has reused footage is bits of the Enterprise "reveal" fly-by from TMP being used in TWOK (the Genesis video doesn't count).

2. It was a very focal scene of the movie. That made it stand out like a sore thumb.

Verdict: FX FAIL.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2013, 06:43 PM   #28
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The Duras sisters really struck me as lame villains. B'Etor at least acted somewhat Klingon, Lursa was so generic, she could've been any villain without changing her lines that much. Toral had some potential to be an interesting character, but DS9 kinda screwed that up.
Old September 19 2013, 07:37 PM   #29
ixfd64
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via AIM to ixfd64

It would be very easy to retcon their deaths. Just say they beamed out at the last second or something.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 09:06 AM   #30
Tiberius
Commodore

It is a shame they didn't film a new explosion for GEN, but understandable--models are expensive and time-consuming to build, especially when you're just going to blow it up. Had they been using CGI at the time we probably would've gotten something new.
But they were using CGI. The ships in the nexus at the beginning of the film were CGI to get the interactive lighting from the Nexus.