New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old September 10 2013, 06:39 PM   #16
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Re: Why are the wormhole aliens called "Prophets"?

What doesn't make sense is why Bajorans didn't jump into their ships en masse, zip up to the wormhole, and then just sit there clogging it up and hoping for an audience.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 06:45 PM   #17
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

Why do you think there were all those Bajorans coming and going to DS9?

Also, they already have the orbs, which apparently are(/were) relatively easy to gain access to. Why take all the trouble to go into space when there are at least a couple places right on Bajor (and more coming all the time) where one can go to seek an audience with the Prophets - a method proven to work, whereas one almost has to be the Emissary for the wormhole method to matter at all.
Old September 10 2013, 06:50 PM   #18
MacLeod
Admiral

One other point don't know if it's been mentioned but isn't the word 'Prophet' in English just a transaltion of a Bajoran word. So perhaps Prophet is just the closest word rather than an exact translation.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 08:53 PM   #19
Christopher
Writer

Lindley wrote: View Post
What doesn't make sense is why Bajorans didn't jump into their ships en masse, zip up to the wormhole, and then just sit there clogging it up and hoping for an audience.
Bajor was recovering from a brutal planetwide occupation that stripped their world of resources and left its people impoverished and starving. I doubt they had that many ships in the first place, unless you count whatever run-down fighters the resistance had left. And if they'd all flown out to the wormhole, who would've grown the crops?

There was a shrine on the Promenade, one with its own Orb, and the Temple/wormhole was visible right outside the Promenade windows. I'm sure it was a popular pilgrimage site for those Bajorans who were able to afford the journey.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 08:56 PM   #20
R. Star
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
One other point don't know if it's been mentioned but isn't the word 'Prophet' in English just a transaltion of a Bajoran word. So perhaps Prophet is just the closest word rather than an exact translation.
This could be an interesting point. The difference between god and God as it were even if the proper word has another meaning.
Old September 10 2013, 09:02 PM   #21
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

And most of Eastern medicine has either been proven not to work or has been proven it has a physical reason why it does work. Just sayin.

The Prophets may live in a physical place but they exhibit powers that we attribute to divinity. Why shouldn't the Bajirans then attribute them divinity? I'm sure there exist atheist Bajorans, they just weren't part of the story.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:42 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
And most of Eastern medicine has either been proven not to work or has been proven it has a physical reason why it does work. Just sayin.
Which is totally irrelevant to the point I was making, which is that different cultures have different ways of defining the spiritual and thus an alien culture -- or a human culture, for that matter -- wouldn't necessarily dismiss the divinity of a thing just because it was provably physical.

I'm sure there exist atheist Bajorans, they just weren't part of the story.
Ro Laren was one, evidently.

Old September 10 2013, 11:30 PM   #23
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
To be fair, their perception of time and their ability to control the wormhole are their only exceptional abilities, and the former is the only one to have affected Bajor for most of its history. Although there are references in the show about the Prophets granting people good fortune, digging deeper it seems that what they grant is knowledge of the future, wherefrom fortune can be drawn.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 12:13 AM   #24
Christopher
Writer

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
To be fair, their perception of time and their ability to control the wormhole are their only exceptional abilities, and the former is the only one to have affected Bajor for most of its history.
Also their ability to make, control, and communicate through Orbs, their ability to possess humanoids (as seen in "The Reckoning" and in the Sarah Sisko backstory), and their ability to modify the course of time in unusual ways (as seen in "Accession"). That last one is the most godlike thing they were ever shown to do.

Old September 11 2013, 01:14 AM   #25
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
To be fair, their perception of time and their ability to control the wormhole are their only exceptional abilities, and the former is the only one to have affected Bajor for most of its history.
Also their ability to make, control, and communicate through Orbs, their ability to possess humanoids (as seen in "The Reckoning" and in the Sarah Sisko backstory), and their ability to modify the course of time in unusual ways (as seen in "Accession"). That last one is the most godlike thing they were ever shown to do.
Perhaps I wasn't precise, but the wormhole aliens are primarily known to the Bajorans through their unique temporality.
Old September 11 2013, 02:14 AM   #26
Dream
Admiral

The Prophets may be gods to the Bajorans, but to me they don't meet the criteria of being gods.

To be a god, they need to be the creator of a race, have great powers, and be immortal.

They didn't create the Bajoran people.
They have great powers, but that can be explained as very advanced technology
They might live forever, but they definitely aren't immortal since can be killed by certain types of radiation.

If I was a character in the series, I would respect the Bajoran beliefs, but would continue to think of them as wormhole aliens.
Old September 11 2013, 02:28 AM   #27
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Now that the Neo-Platonists have spoken ...
Old September 11 2013, 03:36 AM   #28
Christopher
Writer

Dream wrote: View Post
The Prophets may be gods to the Bajorans, but to me they don't meet the criteria of being gods.

To be a god, they need to be the creator of a race, have great powers, and be immortal.
That's how modern Western civilization on Earth tends to define gods. But other cultures have differed. In most polytheistic mythologies, for instance, only one or two gods are attributed with creating humanity, while others play different roles. And in Egyptian mythology, gods could die, although they could also be resurrected (see Osiris).

Old September 11 2013, 05:09 AM   #29
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

A "god" is simply a being that's acknowledged as worthy of worship.

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
I didn't realize there was question on this - Christopher's explanation has been the obvious one to me all along. They are Prophets... because they prophecize.
"Prophecize" is not a real word. The verb, or act of making a prophecy, is to prophesy (with an 'S').

Sorry, but it drives me up the wall when people say that.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 05:42 AM   #30
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
They're also able to alter the fundamental personality of humanoids, as seen in Prophet Motive.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote