Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 10 2013, 05:17 PM   #181
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
Success and reviews aside, what did STID really accomplish?
Entertained millions of viewers for 2 hours and 9 minutes? Give whiney whiners stuff to whine about?
Which brings us to the point, really. What, exactly, are we expecting from Star Trek?

I'd argue that if we're expecting cutting social commentary, Star Trek isn't (and never has been) particularly effective on that front. It's always played it safe, with pat answers and trite conclusions to all the 'issues' presented. Even the much-vaunted DS9 failed to actually create the moral grey area that fans give it credit for. Our heroes always did the 'right' thing and even in their darkest hour, it was alien third-parties that did the dirty work (I'm looking at you, 'In the Pale Moonlight.')

If you're looking for rousing adventure, exciting spectacle and human characters, you'd also be dissapointed by TNG-era Trek. Thanks to Roddenberries self-aggrandising view of 'evolved humanity,' we got stale and stiff characters with a 'higher sensibility.' At least First Contact had the balls to call Picard on his bullshit, if even for a moment.

However...

If you look at TOS, you get relatable people who have interpersonal conflicts, petty fights and make all-too-human mistakes. Sure, it's just as sexist as you'd expect a television show from the 60's to be, but there's a core there that has endured all these years. It's a winning formula: The cocksure captain, emotionless first officer and a collection of colorful crewmembers (mostly) working together. And, as the article linked in the other thread from the Hollywood Reporter correctly points out, that's the source material for Abrams' take on Trek.

Where I break from the article is the assertion that TNG 'moved past' TOS. In reality, it went sideways from the original series and never really honored what it was about.

We haven't had a true, spiritual successor to TOS until Abrams came along. Nothing that came after TOS managed to capture the verve and sheer enthusiasm of that series: the life-and-death stakes mixed with just the right measure of irreverence. If I were to sit down fresh and watch TOS with new eyes, then the succeeding films and television shows, there would be no question:

Abrams got it right.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 05:29 PM   #182
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Stig wrote: View Post

Which brings us to the point, really. What, exactly, are we expecting from Star Trek?

I'd argue that if we're expecting cutting social commentary, Star Trek isn't (and never has been) particularly effective on that front. It's always played it safe, with pat answers and trite conclusions to all the 'issues' presented. Even the much-vaunted DS9 failed to actually create the moral grey area that fans give it credit for. Our heroes always did the 'right' thing and even in their darkest hour, it was alien third-parties that did the dirty work (I'm looking at you, 'In the Pale Moonlight.')

If you're looking for rousing adventure, exciting spectacle and human characters, you'd also be dissapointed by TNG-era Trek. Thanks to Roddenberries self-aggrandising view of 'evolved humanity,' we got stale and stiff characters with a 'higher sensibility.' At least First Contact had the balls to call Picard on his bullshit, if even for a moment.

However...

If you look at TOS, you get relatable people who have interpersonal conflicts, petty fights and make all-too-human mistakes. Sure, it's just as sexist as you'd expect a television show from the 60's to be, but there's a core there that has endured all these years. It's a winning formula: The cocksure captain, emotionless first officer and a collection of colorful crewmembers (mostly) working together. And, as the article linked in the other thread from the Hollywood Reporter correctly points out, that's the source material for Abrams' take on Trek.

Where I break from the article is the assertion that TNG 'moved past' TOS. In reality, it went sideways from the original series and never really honored what it was about.

We haven't had a true, spiritual successor to TOS until Abrams came along. Nothing that came after TOS managed to capture the verve and sheer enthusiasm of that series: the life-and-death stakes mixed with just the right measure of irreverence. If I were to sit down fresh and watch TOS with new eyes, then the succeeding films and television shows, there would be no question:

Abrams got it right.
Well said.
Old September 10 2013, 05:38 PM   #183
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^^Indeed.
Old September 10 2013, 07:17 PM   #184
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Abrams got it right.
What he said.

Before STID, I'd have said TVH captured the spirit of TOS the best. Our heroes are on a very serious mission with very grave consequences, and yet there's a certain absurdity to it and they seem to be having fun along the way. Come on. Who's to take it too seriously? The great Captain Kirk and Spock going to Sausalito on a public bus looking for whales? Priceless. "What does it mean, exact change?"
Old September 10 2013, 07:25 PM   #185
Opus
Commodore

Here, here!

Stig, you should submit this to TrekMovie as a rebuttal editorial.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 08:03 PM   #186
The Keeper
Commodore

+1. That really nails it! I wish it could fit in my sig.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:01 PM   #187
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Entertained millions of viewers for 2 hours and 9 minutes? Give whiney whiners stuff to whine about?

However...

Abrams got it right.
Hear, Hear!!!

I have been re-watching TOS with my young son (he's 7, same age I was when I came to Trek) and the more I watch, the more I am impressed at the way Abrams and co. captured TOS's qualities and brought them to today.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:05 PM   #188
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

I propose that whenever someone argues that the new movies aren't truly Star Trek, we copy or link them to Stig's post. Dammit, that hit every nail on the head!
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 10:03 PM   #189
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

However...

Abrams got it right.
Agreed 100%. Nicely done Stig.
Old September 11 2013, 12:12 AM   #190
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Agreed. Somebody pin this. It would make things a lot easier in the future.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 01:52 AM   #191
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

However...

Abrams got it right.
Slow Claps
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 02:07 AM   #192
saddestmoon
Lieutenant Commander

However...

Abrams got it right.
QFT! And if I could, I would vote The Stig for Chancellor of the Federation!!!!!

saddestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote